sub floor over garage.

Mr B

Looking for some input to this subject.

I plan to lay OSB panels over the suspended garage beams.  they were made for our project and installed professionally.  the area was always intended to be a large room rather than storage ( yes I know about the potential use and regulations etc).

So the engineering loafibg calculation was 190kg/m2  ( this is an overengineereed floor with laminate main beams etc) and reinforced brickwork in the vertical and horizontal lines.

So my questions please:

1. What is the difference between OSB 4 and OSB 3?  I'm planning at least 22mm but probably thicker- I need to check my joist spacing but I'm not a home.

2. I see that there should be a 3mm gap between panels but many makes have this built in on the t&g edges so the gaps are for the ends.

3. What space should be left at the perimeter where it meets the brickwork?  This room will be insulated below and the walls/ceilings.  So what considerations are needed at the edges?

Acoustic/ damproof plasterboard will be suspended below and filled with loose fill wood fibre insulation - no rockwool/ kingspan products on the house due to potential future health issues.

The OSB boards will be glued and then screwed down as per makers instructions

Any thoughts anybody?  With consideration to the warm room sitting over a cool garage.  airflow and damp being on my mind

20180331_112335.jpg

20180123_150623.jpg

20180327_181615.jpg

Here in the UK we have to do a garage ceiling with 2 layers of the pink 15mm thick plasterboard with staggered joints to achieve the fire rating.  Ceiling up first, then you can fill between the joists with insulation, then your floor.

What's wrong with P5 chipboard flooring? OSB does not give a particularly smooth finish.

• Thanks 1

Is there a reason for the osb? 

Its a perfectly good product, but I would personally use a tongue and groove chipboard designed just for floors, you can get a product with a nice plastic coating that protects it when the plasterers are upstairs chucking crap everywhere. 

I don’t know what is available in France,

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

Here in the UK we have to do a garage ceiling with 2 layers of the pink 15mm thick plasterboard with staggered joints to achieve the fire rating.  Ceiling up first, then you can fill between the joists with insulation, then your floor.

What's wrong with P5 chipboard flooring? OSB does not give a particularly smooth finish.

Interesting point on the staggered joints.  chipboard - I guess I have bad memories of chipboard furniture but I take your point on a smoother finish.

6 hours ago, Temp said:

Interesting construction. What sort of blocks are the walls made of? Will there be external insulation?

I noticed the floor joists are dovetailed into the beams. Cool.

30cm of wood fibre blocks on the interior. Plaster board finish.  outside will be rendered see examples.  French doors ( they are not called that here) will slide into the walls to disappear

The roof guys were great.  all joints dovetails and longer ones were pinned with wood pegs.

tmp_11618-tmp_16496-wb_uk_Porotherm6558771339337006808.jpg.3e210923b51463c8c5197fb7903025418160246753201516055.jpg

tmp_11618-prix-cre-pi6321215118910662512.jpg

tmp_11618-enduit-facade-gratté-Global-habitat7876481801750053015.jpg

12 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

The question is one for others, but that is some garage.

It will be half garage, half workshop.  space for 2 cars and to be able to open the doors fully.  The upstairs will be a man cave/cinema.  An extravagance I know but this will be my last house.  I've had compromises and loads of old houses so now I just want something not too big nor too small.   2600ft2 not including garage.  all quality  German kit inside.  £300k including the land and fees.  think we have built a bargain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1