New build France

Mr B

Hello to everybody.

My girlfriend is having built her own home she designed.  230m2 of living space plus large double garage etc.

4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, wc, kitchen, living room, office, utility room, cinema/activity room.  The house is in France and is on a plot of 1300m2.

The house is going to be complete in September. She is using individual trades and she manages the project.  There have been no problems and it will be on or just under budget.  She is using a brick construction ( lots of holes in it but don't know the name in English) with wood fibre insulation.

Under Floor heating by town gas.  All German materials for kitchen, bathrooms, boiler, windows etc

Estimated energy (hard and electricty) costs per annum €500

Land cost €45,000 including fees.

Build cost: €300,000

I joined the forum to ask a few questions and read up on theories and practise. 

Feel free to chat.

Mark

20180415_111857.jpg

20180323_163225.jpg

20180323_163444.jpg

• Like 2

Hi and welcome.

I am not sure how helpful this forum will be as we are mostly in the UK and familliar with UK building regs. But it's nice to see your project and perhaps there is someone here familiar with French building regs.

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Hi and welcome.

I am not sure how helpful this forum will be as we are mostly in the UK and familliar with UK building regs. But it's nice to see your project and perhaps there is someone here familliar with French building regs.

Thanks.  Yes the regs will be based on the UK as of course that is the target market but it is more techniques I'm looking at.  In particular a sub Floor in OSB above the garage.  Could you point me to best part of the forum to post that? 

43 minutes ago, Ian said:

I’ve used something similar designing Lidl stores: Porotherm

https://wienerberger.co.uk/porotherm

Thanks that the maker.  on that site here is the link to the  product https://wienerberger.co.uk/product-search/poroton-cellular-clay-block-t12-365?wb_condition=ProductType:1366306245287

The builder laid it with a brown glue and tool to roll it on.  easier to lay but you need to keep tight with the level.  He spent a lot of time checking that.  I'd say it could catch out an unwary amateur!

tmp_16496-wb_uk_Porotherm6558771339337006808.jpg

Edited by Mr B

The walls are this https://wienerberger.co.uk/product-search/poroton-cellular-clay-block-t12-365?wb_condition=ProductType:1366306245287

The exterior will be rendered- the interior will be 30cm of wood fibre insulation.  why this you ask.  it cuts down noise, it has no chemical vapours coming off it, it has about a 12 hour delay in transfer so it can cope with the cycle of hot and cold better.  It's nice to work with.  For me it's interesting to see these methods.  she was insistent on this and I now take my hat off to her.

6 hours ago, Temp said:

I noticed the floor joists are dovetailed into the beams. Cool.

Yes they hammered them in tight.  the roof joists are similar and they them drove in oak pegs.  she went big on spec with laminated beams etc.  and she calls me the one who has to have the best.

Was pleased with all the trades but the UK health and safety would not have liked it.  all I can say is that gloves and hard hats can't sell much over here.  The beam walking whilst throwing roof tiles was better than going to the circus- and no safety net....

tmp_11618-tmp_16496-wb_uk_Porotherm6558771339337006808.jpg.3e210923b51463c8c5197fb7903025411315696319056917321.jpg