Looking to begin my estimate

Youngredders

Hi guys

I’m looking to begin pulling together my estimate for my self build. I have a budget of £300k for the build which I’m hoping will go towards a 250 m2 house - maybe a lot to ask but that’s the aim. 

I intend to PM the project myself, I will engage the builders, plumbers etc separately to save cost. 

I was wondering if any of you have any estimate exemplars you wouldn’t mind sharing? I know the basics but it would be great to see the detailed estimates which you’ve all put together. 

If you are feeling generous please send to the following email address:

youngredders@gmail.com 

Thanks a lot 

Edited by Youngredders

Yep can share my excel

It is based on a proper estimate from an online QS that I then changed to excel from pdf, added my own formulas and day rates. 

Was  accepted by the BS and has been useful for tracking too. 

Cost  was £150 +Vat, add £40 for SPONS for Kindle and it will pay for its self 10 times over ...

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep can share my excel

It is based on a proper estimate from an online QS that I then changed to excel from pdf, added my own formulas and day rates. 

Was  accepted by the BS and has been useful for tracking too. 

Cost  was £150 +Vat, add £40 for SPONS for Kindle and it will pay for its self 10 times over ...

Hi Peter that would be great if you don’t mind sharing. Maybe you could email me it? Would you recommend SPONS? I’m toying with idea of spending £150 on a book. 

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

add £40 for SPONS for Kindle 

I wonder, does SPONS for Kindle offer the updates for the year like the printed edition? 

I notice its £30.50 on Amazon at the moment.

Also how does the yearly update work? Will it be updated for 2019 in January? Do the updates that come with the book only last until December so the later you buy it in the year the fewer updates you receive?

(I love that its the 143rd edition and "First edition 1873".)

12 hours ago, Youngredders said:

Hi guys

I’m looking to begin pulling together my estimate for my self build. I have a budget of £300k for the build which I’m hoping will go towards a 250 m2 house - maybe a lot to ask but that’s the aim. 

I intend to PM the project myself, I will engage the builders, plumbers etc separately to save cost. 

I was wondering if any of you have any estimate exemplars you wouldn’t mind sharing? I know the basics but it would be great to see the detailed estimates which you’ve all put together. 

If you are feeling generous please send to the following email address:

youngredders@gmail.com 

Thanks a lot 

Hi 

A very similar size house to ours 

at 256 mtrs over two floors

300 k sounds very realistic 

I’m hoping to finish ours for 220k depending on how much WE decide to spend on the kitchen 

SPONS Updates are a bit hit and miss to be honest - it’s more about using it to get a feel for the extras you may have missed, or whether a trade is taking the Mick ...

I wouldn’t want to craft an estimate by hand from SPONS without some sort of framework as I would miss a lot ..! Even our estimator missed stuff such as the loft hatch and so on - all things you “forget” you need yet are never really marked on plans. 

• Like 1

I'd +1 on getting spons price book. From what I understand, when you get builders quotes they'll just be using this.

The big benefit is that you can then look at contrasting options for each item.

Be aware though that this covers only relatively tried and tested building methods.

18 hours ago, Youngredders said:

I have a budget of £300k for the build which I’m hoping will go towards a 250 m2 house

That's £1200/m2. If you don't mind me asking, if you have that size budget, could you get an architect and contractor to handle it all?

5 hours ago, StructuralEngineer said:

I'd +1 on getting spons price book. From what I understand, when you get builders quotes they'll just be using this.

The big benefit is that you can then look at contrasting options for each item.

Be aware though that this covers only relatively tried and tested building methods.

That's £1200/m2. If you don't mind me asking, if you have that size budget, could you get an architect and contractor to handle it all?

Hi, I could indeed do that but from what I’m learning engaging a builder to manage the whole project would be really expensive. I will be using an architect for full pp and to manage the building regs. 

My my understanding is that £1200/m2 is on the low side. I’m being told to expect £1500/m2. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning to start building week on Monday  we have ordered a kit to our spec and employed a small building firm to do all the work on a Labour only basis, we will supply all the goods, the kit company will erect to wind and water tight and builders take over from there. With us supplying all the goods we can shop around for the best prices. The builders will give us a scope of works so we can have everything on site as needed.the house will be 260m2 , my husband has taken a 12week lifestyle break to keep an eye on everything, we have 240k to do all this and it makes you shop around a lot more, every penny saved helps a lot and I’m going to make sure I get my hand built kitchen!

this is our 3rd self build and we have to get it right this time!

• Like 3

@Christine Walker good luck. I am sure there is a lot I/we can learn from you. Do share as much as you can on BH.

Without hijacking this thread, I am particularly interested in your lessons learnt from your past builds and how you are using them in this one. I am also interested in the PM approach you are taking. And finally I am also interested in how your builder will interface with the frame company. All subjects relevant for me personally.

Well, where to start! Never employ friends, never pay an hourly rate get a price in writing for the job, double check everything you’re asked to provide- on our first build we were left with boxes of plumbing stuff that we’d been asked to provide, they ask for a dozen but really mean 2! Don’t get too friendly with the workers that’s just an invitation for them to take the Michael, make sure your architect really does pay his visits to check everything is being done to spec,if you’re looking for decent trades be very wary of any that can come right away, the best tradesmen are usually busy, ours for this build have been booked in since November last year,trust no-one until they’ve earned it, make sure you’ve had your quote for utilities so you don’t get any big shocks! The kit firm will have no input after the wind and watertight phase unless any issues arise stemming from the erection and they will supply the roughing and finishing items as needed. Our builders are erecting the scaffold for the kit firm and we have to supply the means of offloading kit and loading roof trusses, fortunately my hubby has all necessary experience on plant and machinery so we’ll hire this when needed.I’m holding the purse strings, I have most things priced up but there’s always something you haven’t accounted for! On our first build I was out barrowing type 1 into the solum but am afraid since I’m now fast approaching 60 I don’t have the stamina for that now, will keep you updated on progress ?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have an excel template i'd be happy to email across giving an 'elemental' breakdown.

This would be what we call a cost plan and would show approximate allowances for each element of the built.  This would be 'fleshed out' with a bill of quantities when you get your working drawings but would be a great start to give you an idea of where your money would be spent.

Can i ask, would this be a bungalow or a 2/3 storey property?

Thanks,

TheQSguy

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...