Heat Loss Calculations Complete - What Next?

Triassic

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

This one ?

image.png

I'm going plumbing blind at the moment. ?

@NickfromwalesThat's the diagram I (& @Triassic) was vasking if thats a basic pipe layout for using the ashp for cooling? 

I am caught up in the same situation i ended up with 2x500l thermal store, 9kw ashp, 22kw log gasification, 8m2 ST, 4KW of pv. I cant help feeling i have made this way over complicated. The whole concept of the house is very low heat load, but we have v high DHW  requirements.

Sledge hammer to crack a nut comes to mind.

Edited by Alexphd1

2 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

@NickfromwalesThat's the diagram I (& @Triassic) was vasking if thats a basic pipe layout for using the ashp for cooling? 

I am caught up in the same situation i ended up with 2x500l thermal store, 9kw ashp, 22kw log gasification, 8m2 ST, 4KW of pv. I cant help feeling i have made this way over complicated. The whole concept of the house is very low heat load, but we have v high DHW  requirements.

Sledge hammer to crack a nut comes to mind.

Any layout that allows you to isolate the buffer will, with the correct placement of valves etc, allow cooling. So yes. 

Your equipment as listed above is perfectly reasonable to have when you have a log gasification boiler, and the ST is designed to compliment the 2x TS's and offset the frequency of you operating the LGB. Why you have a LGB in the first place is the question? Did you push for wood burning in your spec? 

Also strange they didn't give you a bigger store ( more TS volume ) TBH.  

Lgb not my choice, first build is my father's house and he was adamant for it.

We want to keep the TS volume to a minimum and heat loss respectable so will start with 1000l but likely need a extra 500 but v easy to add in. I think the ST on the 1st 500l tank will work pretty well as a preheat before the 2nd 500l tank which the ashp is connected to. If tank 1 rises above tank 2 then a pump will come on to transfer heat. Both tanks have DHW coils. Lgb will be connected to tank 1.

All our material has been bought v cheap eBay, Poland etc so it is a bit of trial error.

Still think sledge hammer meet nut?

Edited by Alexphd1

Has it all been fitted yet ? It's pretty much what I suggested to @readiescards when he was considering going off-grid. I suggested using the residual heat from a diesel genny as additional input instead of ST. Also suggested an LGB but where do you stop ?

Complexity, maintenance, constant babysitting and capital cost shot it out of the water. 

• Like 1

All material bought minus a few flue parts but not installed. 

Tbh the system should tick over nicely with ashp, st & pv. The system has been designed with mantaince in mind ie in roof pv with connections inside so if panel fails can be easily isolated and bypassed minimising time on roof & st we can change temp sensor without taking flashing to bits. Keeping the system simple with controls nothing to fancy that will be obselete 10 years time. Will be interesting on how much the log boiler is used after novelty of cutting and drying wood passes. Hopefully ST can really wrk getting a tank to itself even 30-40 degrees is a big help to cut load on ashp. 

Apologies to @Triassic for hijacking thread.

Edited by Alexphd1