Mitre Saws

bissoejosh

Next on the shopping list is a mitre saw. Not for fine woodworking but studwork and general duties. I need to cut 300mm width for our I-Beams which eliminates quite a few of the cheaper options. I wanted a DeWalt but unfortunately the 778 doesn't have a depth stop and the larger versions are too expensive to justify which realistically means budget is up to £400.

Current favorites are the MAKITA LS0815FL or the Evolution Rage 3. Real use opinions on either or other suggestions would be great.

I would assess how much work you have to do with the larger size timber. I have a large mitre saw but I also used to have a cheapie £40 type one for cutting stud and general carcassing work. You could use a jigsaw/circular saw to cut the I-beams and just buy a smaller mitre saw if you do not need a larger cutting range.

• Like 1

If you buy a flip over like elu or dewalt you will also have a table saw, I sold my elu recently and it’s like I’ve had an arm removed. 

If you buy a second hand one you will sell it after at more or less what you pay for it. 

And just cut your i joist with a standard circular saw. 

• Like 1

Evolution Rage 3 is my goto saw. It does what it says on the tin and I can just as soon cut a scaffold pole as a lump of 4x2 with nails in or a bit of 20mm conduit. Precision however it ain't! The depth stop is absolute wa*k, beyond useless. I do housings on my DeWalt radial arm saw. Saying that I wouldn't be without the Rage. 

As an aside Electricfix in Sevenoaks have a Rage 3 on special for £56+VAT so half price. It comes without the blade though. I might go in tomorrow if it's still there and buy it as a spare. Didn't check if it was 110 or 230...

Edited by Onoff

If I eliminate the 300mm requirement there are certainly a lot more options and a decent circular isn't an issue but our entire frame is 300mm so it's a fair bit of work.

That used DeWalt is a beast, but I'd be slightly worried given the distance from me. I'll have a look locally.

Interesting about the Rage, I've read a few reviews about a lack of precision but also a lot of people raving about them!

Any thoughts on the Makita?

the rage series are what they are, what do you expect for something 1/3 of their competitor's price,

cutting studwork, firewood, metal, fingers they are fine and will easily be within a mil unless you start forcing the arm about. but don't expect to be able to just stick it on opposite 45's and end up with a perfect 90, it'll do it but you will probably need to adjust the fences first and be conscious when tightening up the selector,

makita make good chop saws but all the ones iv seen always seem to lack something that a similarly priced competitor has, (AFAIC dewlt are still leading the pack on big chop saws)

also plus a few for skill saws on big timbers, the major factor is being able to cut the timber on the pile, to use a chop saw you will have to move and place accurately every single length at least one extra time.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, bissoejosh said:

Interesting about the Rage, I've read a few reviews about a lack of precision but also a lot of people raving about them!

I've a foot in both camps about them. Pretty much as @Construction Channel says: 90deg cut is acceptable once set. The 45 stops are pants. Be prepared to faff with a sacrificial piece to get it right. If course it all goes out the window as soon as you go to the other 45deg set.

7 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

also plus a few for skill saws on big timbers, the major factor is being able to cut the timber on the pile, to use a chop saw you will have to move and place accurately every single length at least one extra time.

Thanks for explaining, not something I'd considered but makes total sense.

• Like 1

hi @bissoejosh

i'm in the same position with 350mm beams for the kit and bought a makita ls 1216l, it took a bit of setting up (second hand, almost new, though very little use) to get spot on for 90 deg.  45deg is acc. as well. fantastic bit of kit though as with others, could have better dust extraction. thought of using the radial arm but like the makita more.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-ls1216-dxt-mitre-saw/282924054558?hash=item41df96781e:g:A~QAAOSw2PtauUGe

Edited by Simplysimon
add link

Are you making the whole frame on site ?

if so stop messing about and go and get the big dewalt, build a cutting table with built in tape measure and length stops, 

i built our last place as stick built on site and you will need a dedicated cutting station for thousands of cuts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bissoejosh said:

That used DeWalt is a beast, but I'd be slightly worried given the distance from me. I'll have a look locally.

There is a tool that you won't regret the drive going to get. The rage are horrible for anything other than chopping up firewood imo, and the Dewalt is just a Rolls Royce in comparison. I borrowed my mates rage to do a bit of skirting, prior to buying the Dewalt, and I couldn't justify another cut after the first.  Yuk. 

The Dewalt will see you through all the major stuff with just effortless ease and most of all, control. Then with a fresh blade, will see you through all the skirtings and architraves, kitchen plinths, cornice / pelmets etc as if a laser has cut them. I'd not be looking anywhere else at that money, and maybe the seller will chip a bit...........oh, no they won't, it's just sold.  

Gumtree near you?

Worth a ring?

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'd never cut skirting again with the Rage.

It was like a facking beaver had attacked it. 

The thing to watch out for is the horrible twist grip thing on the arm that you swing to change the angle of the cut. Who the hell invented that piece of crap.? The Dewalt has a castellated ring where you just slide and it clicks to lock into place using a finder tip catch under the flip down secure lock 'tab'. That means switching from one angle to another takes seconds. The secure locking tab doesn't need to be used for the preset angles as the click stop is rock solid on its own, so you only need to drop the secure tab if you've gone between the clicks to an odd angle. With my other mates ( expensive ) Bosch there was still that twist lock thing that took an age to loosen and then re-tighten EVERY time you need to move it which is just such a PITA !!!

D

E

W

A

L

T

• Like 1

I had to write to Evolution about a fault with their 185mm circular saw. Bought one and figured it a one off. Exchanged and the same fault. I figured the issue & cure. Rather than a thank you they suggested an imo dangerous fix to remove the riving knife!

My mate reckons the best accessory that comes with the Evolution is the warranty ....

He reckons they get 3-5 months at most out of one before it munches it’s way though some part or other and it’s back to Screwfix for a replacement ... 

If you want a mitre saw that gives a slightly different angle every cut without adjusting anything then go for the Evolution! :)

The "rails" the saw slides along are just too live;  left and right and up and down. Saying that the movement is small enough if building a shed, a stud wall or cutting steel. I did once try cutting a through housing. You can't fix / lock the blade at a set depth. Consequently the bottom of the housing was up and down by about 3mm!

I also have the 255mm diamond blade for my Rage 3. Never used it though. Had this mad idea of cutting tiles with it! 

My nephew's missus bought him the latest Rage 3 for Christmas. Did me a favour as he would often borrow mine. The new one is subtly different to my early one. Tbh it feels cheaper mainly down to the motor. Sounds like someone's chucked half a shovel of 10mm pea shingle in it. Mine sounds so much better.

Like a child with issues I love mine! :)

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Are there equally good slightly smaller Dewalts?

Yup, but none that'll cut a 7" skirting board upright, which is a dream when your doing a whole house. Plus the better the saw, the quicker it'll resell. 

Either need the legs, or make your own out of trestles and timber. 

22 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Are you making the whole frame on site ?

The majority of the frame is pre cut but some elements are cost effective to cut on site, mostly the straight cuts and simpler internal studwork.

22 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Gumtree near you?

Worth a ring?

Sadly not, I'm in Cornwall so most places are a long way from here. I've set up alerts on all the usual websites now as it sounds hard to deviate from the larger, quality saws mentioned above. That video isn't helping the "I don't need the biggest and the best" argument!

14 hours ago, Onoff said:

If you want a mitre saw that gives a slightly different angle every cut without adjusting anything then go for the Evolution! :)

Sounds fun, but possibly not for me this time!

If nothing comes up soon I'll likely go with the 216mm makita, at £270 it's not silly money and should do what's required.

I've also just ordered a circular saw to run through the I-Beams with, a much easier decision as it'll run straight off my Milwaukee M18 battery set.

Appreciate all the help.

Don't forget Gumtree is pretty word specific, try "chop saw":

https://www.gumtree.com/search?search_category=all&q=chop+saw&tq={"i"%3A"chop+saw"%2C"s"%3A"chop+saw"%2C"p"%3A0%2C"t"%3A7}&search_location=cornwall&tl=

"sliding saw", miter instead of mitre and so on. 

This is good for typos to search for:

http://www.fatfingers.com/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Don't forget Gumtree is pretty word specific, try "chop saw":

https://www.gumtree.com/search?search_category=all&q=chop+saw&tq={"i"%3A"chop+saw"%2C"s"%3A"chop+saw"%2C"p"%3A0%2C"t"%3A7}&search_location=cornwall&tl=

"sliding saw", miter instead of mitre and so on. 

This is good for typos to search for:

http://www.fatfingers.com/

Cheers you barsteward. I've just seen a cut off saw, that I didn't know I wanted until I saw it going for £30 a couple of miles from me, and offered a bid on it. 

"Shiny!" :S

Thought I'd be safe looking at items in Cornwall, but no, one for sale in the next town over from me. Damnit :D

41 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Cheers you barsteward. I've just seen a cut off saw, that I didn't know I wanted until I saw it going for £30 a couple of miles from me, and offered a bid on it. 

"Shiny!" :S

Thought I'd be safe looking at items in Cornwall, but no, one for sale in the next town over from me. Damnit :D

I'd never buy anything from a place I couldn't pronounce... :)