Suggestions for Staffordshire Blue Tiles

Jude1234

The conservation officer is not happy with our proposed tile Marley Eternit as our build is in the garden of a listed building. Instead they are insisting on a traditional roof covering of Staffordshire blue tiles such as Dreadnought 'blue brindle'  According to our builder these are more expensive and as they are smaller will take longer to fit therefore increase the cost.  Perhaps I am being naive but surely we can just use any Staffordshire blue tile that is made from clay.  They cannot force us to use a specific type can they?  I have Googled and there are lots.  Do you think that the conservation officer deliberatley wants a smaller tile for aesthetic reasons? I realise that we need a discussion with him but as we can't do that until Monday just wanted your thoughts on alternatives.

WE really need to get it resolved as we are supposed to be putting the roof tiles on in the next couple of weeks!

I think they can insist expecially if you are next to a listed building. Our last house that we had built was in a conservation area and between 2 listed buildings and next to a scheduled ancient monument.  Every external item and finish had to be apporoved and agreed.

If I were you I would get a dialogue going and get some samples to show them.

2 hours ago, Jude1234 said:

WE really need to get it resolved as we are supposed to be putting the roof tiles on in the next couple of weeks!

Is this a planning condition to use an agreed tile ..?

If so it should have been signed off as pre commencement condition. If the planners have agreed your materials and that included your Marley tile then the conservation officer needs to get back in their box ... The council cannot go back on its decision unless it believes it was misled by you such as providing a tile that was not what you said it was. 

And it can take up to 8 weeks to get conditions signed off so be aware of a potential delay !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have submitted a nonmaterial amendment and it includes the materials to be used externally that were not agreed in the original full planning permission.  So this feedback from the conservation officer is after the review of our proposed materials. .  Apparently the planners are very much taking the conservation officers view so we need to get his agreement on this point on order to get the planning amendment approved.

I think the size and material are what they are after, so a small format blue clay plain tile.  Unless the ones the planners are suggesting are much more expensive, it may be simpler just to go with them.

What did your builder quote for?

Do you already have a roof tile approved?

There is no roof tile approved, it was a condition to be discharged. This is what our builder has said:

The quote is for conventional slates of 600 x 300 mm. However the planners are asking for tiles of 255 x 155 mm which greatly increases the number of laths, the labour to fix and the total cost of the tiles. We are doing our best to get the lowest price and hope to have a quote for the complete roof on Tuesday of next week. The budget was for £18,700.

Is it a valid what they are saying?

By the sounds of it, the listed building has got what are called plain tiles. You wanted to fit much larger tiles. I think Marley do an imitation plain tile which are larger, but still look like plain tiles and might suit. Your marley rep or roofing retailer might have a board they can lend you showing plain v imitation plain tiles. Rest both boards on the roof and ask the conservation officer to site stand on the floor and tell the difference.

• Thanks 1

So the pricing is dependent on the slate he’s specified. 

For Spanish at 600/300 my copy of SPONS is at raw laid cost including underlay and 25x50 battens with 75mm lap at £39.32sqm

For Dreadnought plain clay 265/165 for the tile, 19x38 batten and underlay with 64mm lap is £52.23sqm

So there is a 30% difference in pricing per sqm on the base tiling but that is not the whole cost of a roof as if it was it would mean you have 475sqm of roof which is a very big roof !!!

I have a main contractor doing all of the work, not separate tradesmen.  At the beginning he gave a full quote based upon HBXL file.  £18,700 is the total for felt, tiles, ridge tiles, lead flashing including to the dormer windows.  In the original quote it was for Marley Rivendalae 600 x 300.

13 hours ago, CC45 said:

we've got staff blues on our roof - they look great.  The valley tiles were about £3 each - they were expensive but again no regrets.

@CC45 I am looking at staff blue tiles at the moment. Which manufacturer / type of tile did you use ?