Two building control applications for a multi phase development.

epsilonGreedy

My plot has detailed planning permission for a detached house and a detached garage. I doubt I can afford to build the garage prior to the VAT reclaim at the end of main house build. The welsh slate hip roof, conservation requirement for the garage (7.2 x 5.6 external wall plan) is the biggest ££ ticket item in the garage build.

I think my options are:

1. Submit application number one for the main house with no reference to the garage, build it and reclaim the VAT. Then start a second BC application cycle for the garage, or.
  2. Submit application number one for both the main house and garage. Dig and fill foundations for both buildings, then request the garage is excluded as a mid build variation and complete just the main house for the VAT refund. Then build the garage.
  3. Muddle through doing the absolute minimum to get the garage signed off with the main build.
  4. As per option 1 but then subsequently build a 30% smaller garage just under the 30 sqm permitted rights rule.

If I go for option 1 will I be stung for double BC application and inspection costs or would the costs for the garage be scaled down in some way?

Is there a danger that for option 2 the inspector would object saying it is not possible to approve foundations originally created as part of the main house build.

In the case of option 3 would I get sign off if the garage had a temporary roof of the cheapest corrugated material that obviously transgressed conservation material stipulations. My thinking here is that I would hopefully bank the VAT refund before the legal wheels of the planning office issue some prohibition notice.

You seem to be prepared to give up the 20% VAT saving on the garage, because you can't afford it up front.

This seems to be a classic case of borrow the money for the garage? as long as the interest does not exceed a total of 20% you are onto a winner.

How long would this shortfall be and how much? thinking 0% credit card (usually about 3% fee) and roll it over to another if you have to.

20 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You seem to be prepared to give up the 20% VAT saving on the garage, because you can't afford it up front.

This seems to be a classic case of borrow the money for the garage? as long as the interest does not exceed a total of 20% you are onto a winner.

How long would this shortfall be and how much? thinking 0% credit card (usually about 3% fee) and roll it over to another if you have to.

+1

I would do everything I could to include it in the original HMRC submission. 20% isn't to be sniffed at. Or at least order the materials and try to include those in the VAT refund if you can. Or you just delay completion until you've earned enough money to build the garage maybe. Many people move in without a completion certificate - I certainly did! HMRC are taking forever these days too apparently so don't expect getting the refund to be quick! 

8 hours ago, ProDave said:

Doh, while developing my convoluted multi-phase plan I had overlooked that building the garage following a completed BC signed off house would exclude the garage costs from a VAT refund. One less thing to juggle, your reply means I must focus on Option-3, who knows providing the main house is squeaky clean from a BC standards point of view maybe the inspector will overlook the missing garage roof if I say there is a global shortage of welsh slate. 

Edited by epsilonGreedy