hang on a second here, Is that scaffold still standing?

if so you can do the fascia and guttering yourself, And i really mean you can with a friends help.

Is BB doing the roofing/ tiling himself? if not just ask whoever is how much upstand they want on the fascia and I promise you it is incredibly simple. as @peterw said £1400 for 2 straight runs is just sill especially as he hasn't even got to deal with the barge boards

10 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

hang on a second here, Is that scaffold still standing?

if so you can do the fascia and guttering yourself, And i really mean you can with a friends help.

Is BB doing the roofing/ tiling himself? if not just ask whoever is how much upstand they want on the fascia and I promise you it is incredibly simple. as @peterw said £1400 for 2 straight runs is just sill especially as he hasn't even got to deal with the barge boards

I don't think doing it myself is an option really.

Insurance is one aspect.  Currently the site comes under his insurance. I don't think that covers me doing work and my balance is not as good as it used to be.

Site insurance is on the list to sort out for when he's gone

BB is doing the work himself.  I think I've got a discussion coming with him on this.  If something is needed to do the roof then surely it is part of the roof and should be included.  If I don't get anywhere with that - then he definitely needs to bring his price down

Can you tell me where I can source prices for what I need - everything - down to the last nail please.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

On a separate note I’ve got to say that sailing course brickwork is first class - very neat and tidy ..!

He is a good builder and the brick work and roof are his trades - All the corners and everywhere there has been something other than straight bricking, he does the first one himself and tells the lads exactly how he wants it doing. And, being fair to him, the attention to detail has been just as good this week with everything going on as it has been all along.  

• Like 1

Can you give us a dimension for front and back fascia and soffit and I can point you at some pricing. 

Assuming this is standard 18mm white uPVC and black guttering with a single downpipe per drop ..?

Right - I've (kind of) pulled myself together and I have got the beginnings of a plan.  Needs a ot more detail, a lot more planning BUT 

I CAN AND I WILL

Bare bones

Get property watertight and put project on hold

Get this house sale ready - not a huge amount to do, just a couple of room to decorate, guttering to clean and some trim missing in bathroom

Get this house sold

House sit for a friend - or stay with her more likely - she has a house in France and is away from June to September, whilst I get the new house ready.  

• Like 2

Great !! So fascia comes in 5m lengths so no joins .... Assuming he is putting brick corbels at each end you don’t need any end caps or joiners either. 

Taking just one supplier, and there are others, then this is what I get it to. 

Fascia board at 225mm (average for a board depth)

http://www.angelplastics.co.uk/Category/25/16mm-White-Maxi-Fascia-Board

3 off - £90

9mm vented soffit board 

http://www.angelplastics.co.uk/Category/94/9mm-White-Vented-Soffits

3 off £60

Plastic head pins to fit (60mm)

http://www.angelplastics.co.uk/Category/504/Polytop-Fixings

1 off £7.20

Guttering (Don’t scrimp and get decent stuff like BM or Terrain..!!)

http://www.angelplastics.co.uk/Category/806/Black-Crescent-Gutters

4 off gutter 4m

4 off running outlet

18 off bracket

8 off stop ends

All in £180

Downpipes

http://www.angelplastics.co.uk/Category/854/68mm-Black-Pipe

4 off downpipe 4m

8 off 112 elbow

4 off shoe

4 off joiner (terrain needs these..)

12 off bracket

All in £204

That’s a total of £560 inc VAT delivered for all the bits for decent (not top end but not cheap crap) fascia, gutter and downpipes. 

Get him to beat that... and it’s a day to fit all that lot too for someone with a labourer and one skilled. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I presume this builder may well be reading the posts here?

47 minutes ago, newhome said:

Hope so :D

I hope not! I do want the house watertight.

Pretty sure he's not - He's not one for reading and he hates the internet except where he has to use it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hecateh said:

I hope not! I do want the house watertight.

Pretty sure he's not - He's not one for reading and he hates the internet except where he has to use it. 

It was tongue in cheek ;). You never know who sees these things however, especially when there is lots of info that could identify you. 

1 minute ago, newhome said:

It was tongue in cheek ;). You never know who sees these things however, especially when there is lots of info that could identify you. 

Well if he does I'm dead! :/:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Hecateh said:

Well if he does I'm dead! :/:ph34r:

Change your profile pic if that is your photo as a first step, and remove or change your location. Won’t hurt to be a bit more incognito for a while. 

just as an outsider who is actually a builder. I don’t think you have been unfair in any of your comments on here. 

As as long as it all has been factual (I can’t see why any of it wouldn’t be) you have merely sought help where you could to try and get yourself out of a financial predicament. 

His workmanship looks good and you have said as much many times. If he dislikes anyone after reading this place it would be us lot a long time before he had a reason to hold it against you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hecateh said:

I don't think doing it myself is an option really.

Insurance is one aspect.  Currently the site comes under his insurance. I don't think that covers me doing work and my balance is not as good as it used to be.

Site insurance is on the list to sort out for when he's gone

Don't you ned your own insurance as well?  That may or may not cover you to do work.

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Don't you ned your own insurance as well?  That may or may not cover you to do work.

I have only got my normal house insurance.  As main contractor it was his responsibility to insure the site fully, including me when I am on site - but I don't think that means working on site. I have a copy of his insurane

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

That’s a total of £560 inc VAT delivered for all the bits for decent (not top end but not cheap crap) fascia, gutter and downpipes. 

Get him to beat that... and it’s a day to fit all that lot too for someone with a labourer and one skilled. 

I suspect I know what he has done.  I think his quote includes for scaffolding which is already there and I have already paid for.

Edited by Hecateh

This is the breakdown of work still to be done

Windows £8,134.00
Plastering  £4,000.00
Electrics £2,100.00
UFH £7,630.00
Studwork frames £3,112.00
Doors, architraves, skirting £5,742.00
framework for soffit, fascias, soffits,downpipes £1,860.00
Retaining wall detail, flagged steps £3,765.00
Driveway, including turning point, in  bound gravel £10,000.00

I've got the windows down to £4200 - if I can get a similar reduction on everything else, it would be great but I don't think that is going to happen.

Im sure more experienced people will be along but some of these prices look scary,  UFH... i am going to be doing my own and if it came anywhere near this i would be bankrupt. As i said i dont have the pricing experience and look forward to what people have to say so i can get a better understanding. I really feel for you and wish i had some useful  knowledge to offer but im in the  old damp house renovation game so its a far cry from a new build.  Wishing you all the best at this tricky and hard time in yoyr build. 

Some of those items look interesting and very round numbers.

How soon do these need to be implemented? Do we have time to crunch them properly?

That driveway, and then the plastering, are interesting for a start.

To me, if that is all the electric components and fitting all the electrics, then that looks OK, but the plastering looks expensive for a small house unless it includes plasterboarding too.

I think we need a breakdown by one more level of subtasks and time tbh.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

The driveway is obviously the big one. Would a few lorry loads of pea gravel be acceptable. 

How many doors and the approx length of skirting that needs done. What have you picked, Oak doors and Oak skirting or would using a cheap door which can always be replaced later on and MDF suit.

The ufh price looks very very big. Is there a more detailed breakdown of this.

24 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Im sure more experienced people will be along but some of these prices look scary,  UFH... i am going to be doing my own and if it came anywhere near this i would be bankrupt. As i said i dont have the pricing experience and look forward to what people have to say so i can get a better understanding. I really feel for you and wish i had some useful  knowledge to offer but im in the  old damp house renovation game so its a far cry from a new build.  Wishing you all the best at this tricky and hard time in yoyr build. 

Thanks very much for your thoughts - they look very scary to me too

20 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Some of those items look interesting and very round numbers.

How soon do these need to be implemented? Do we have time to crunch them properly?

That driveway, and then the plastering, are interesting for a start.

To me, if that is all the electric components and fitting all the electrics, then that looks OK, but the plastering looks expensive for a small house unless it includes plasterboarding too.

I think we need a breakdown by one more level of subtasks and time tbh.

F

Plenty of time.  These are the things that I am not having done.  

19 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

The driveway is obviously the big one. Would a few lorry loads of pea gravel be acceptable. 

How many doors and the approx length of skirting that needs done. What have you picked, Oak doors and Oak skirting or would using a cheap door which can always be replaced later on and MDF suit.

The ufh price looks very very big. Is there a more detailed breakdown of this.

I thought the UFH was too high too.

5 doors and all cheap white stuff.  I wanted pocket doors but need to go cheaper where I can.

Not allowed pea gravel - has to be solid and semi permeable 

Obviously the weather this year has caused a lot of problems.  There is also one worker - who I think is his best mate, doesn't appear to me to be pulling his weight. He can work and what he does is good.  However, 9 times out of 10 when I look out the window he is lounging around doing nothing or on his phone.  I suspect he has inflated his prices to cover the losses he made, paying them to sit around doing nothing when the weather was bad.  I said something about the length of breaks they were taking and got told, way back before any of this erupted, that it was none of my business it was his problem.  

House footprint is just over 8sm

I've uploaded the planning reg plans

High Croft Bungalow b regs-007E.pdf

High Croft Bungalow b regs-005M.pdf

High Croft Bungalow b regs-003M.pdf