Am I the only one taking notes in preparation of a future edition of buildhub-sos? :D

Pub within stumbling distance - check

24hr supermarket for snacks - check

within 40mins of CPC- check....

loads of beer - need to get that home brew on the go 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, daiking said:

Am I the only one taking notes in preparation of a future edition of buildhub-sos? :D

Well my house failed on all but the last one but we made do lol. There was still beer left over so at least we didn’t run out of that - hic 

34 minutes ago, daiking said:

6 minutes ago, newhome said:

Well my house failed on all but the last one but we made do lol. There was still beer left over so at least we didn’t run out of that - hic 

Check all - except not sure what CPC is.  I do also have a local builder's merchant 5 minutes and and fabulous Indian Restaurant/Take away about 3 minutes away

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Check all - except not sure what CPC is.  I do also have a local builder's merchant 5 minutes and and fabulous Indian Restaurant/Take away about 3 minutes away

CPC is a well known component shop, part of the Farnell group.

Most us us just use them mail order http://cpc.farnell.com/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daiking said:

Anyway @daiking your list is wrong. It goes like this. 

1. Take a group of amazingly helpful and altruistic people on this forum who invest lots of time and effort advising people for no gain. 

2. After lots of advice both on and off forum determine that the issues can’t be fixed through keyboard advice 

3. 2 of those amazing people (plus a son) offer to travel an incredible distance to help address the issues. 

4. After very long days things finally work for the first time ever. 

5. Ensure that some fun and banter (and beer) is part of the experience. 

DIY SOS Buildhub style. 

I’ve said it a lot but I’ll say it again. This forum is amazing! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

CPC is a well known component shop, part of the Farnell group.

Most us us just use them mail order http://cpc.farnell.com/

The joys of trying to get something next day delivery when you live in what is considered to be the wilds of Scotland although I know it’s much worse for you Highlanders. 

4 hours ago, newhome said:

The joys of trying to get something next day delivery when you live in what is considered to be the wilds of Scotland although I know it’s much worse for you Highlanders. 

Try us islanders, the delver man sends parcels over only on Saturdays...... 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Just don’t ask them to deliver on a Saturday if you live more than 5 minutes from a UPS depot ..... or you get a long drive ..!

Worse that that - if they had bloody TOLD us that they weren't going to deliver on the Sat at the time of ordering I know people who live in striking distance of that depot who I could have collected it from!!! There is a special word for these people that I'm sure the profanity checker won't allow ;)

This week - knowing there was less than £3k for me to pay to get to the agreed endpoint.  I have been incredibly impressed with how BB and crew have pulled out all the stops to meet their commitments.

I'm struggling not to feel guilty - but there have been many weeks when I have paid day rate x 20 (4 men 5 days) for what has amounted to be 2 men 2 - 3 days actual work. (bearing in mind my lounge looks out over the building site and I have a good idea how much time was spent on phones and or just standing around chatting)

I have had a minimum of 5 workers here every day.  8 until 6 Monday to Wednesday.  7 - 6 Thursday,  6 - 6.30 Friday and 6 - 6.30 today.

I did make them bacon butties this morning and pizza this evening - Oh and I gave them beer last night. 

BB is coming back next week to add a couple of cavity closures.  He has left me a pallet of bricks for my retaining wall, and spares of nearly everything else. 

For now, I have a nearly clear site, and a finished shell.  Next stop soffits fascias etc and then doors and windows

DSCF1279.JPG

DSCF1282.JPG

DSCF1277.JPG

• Like 5

That looks really good! Pity BB didn't ensure his guys were working hard all the time however that may have meant they got through the work on budget. Now focus on the next step of this journey xx 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oldkettle said:

It looks good. 

I can't help but notice front gables are not an issue in your area. 

I.m not sure about that as a rule overall, but having a gable there reduced the impact on the view from the existing bungalow and the one next door so that may have been taken into consideration. 

It also matches the gable of the house in the last photo which is side facing.  This new house is set into the corner of a cul de sac so the gable doesn't face the road. Any (or none) of those could have been taken into consideration.  I guess there is less impact with it being single storey too.

Edited by Hecateh

4 hours ago, Hecateh said:

It also matches the gable of the house in the last photo which is side facing.  

Actually, this and the other house in the second picture caught my eye. I personally have no idea why it is anybody's business unless in a row of identical homes on a High Street. 

• Like 1

On 20 April 2018 at 16:38, Cpd said:

Try us islanders, the delver man sends parcels over only on Saturdays...... 

And try telling some couriers that the Black Isle is NOT an island. (I don't live on the Black Isle, bur some couriers think I do)

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And try telling some couriers that the Black Isle is NOT an island. (I don't live on the Black Isle, bur some couriers think I do)

Try telling people who live on the Isle of Dogs that they can’t get parcels because they live on an ‘island’ :D

15 hours ago, Hecateh said:

He has left me a pallet of bricks for my retaining wall, and spares of nearly everything else. 

Small but important.

Put a few dozen aside now, so that in the future you have matching bricks to hand for when you need them. Then build your retaining wall from the remainder .. unless it really does undermine the design etc. In that case, get a few more for spares when you can.

There is even something to be said for leaving them in a one deep pile somewhere so they weather with the house.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, oldkettle said:

It looks good. 

I can't help but notice front gables are not an issue in your area. 

It is down the hill behind the old house in the garden and the most prominent gable is at the back, which may be part of the difference.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Put a few dozen aside now, so that in the future you have matching bricks to hand for when you need them.

Hadn't thought of this. What sort of future needs could these bricks fulfil?

Edited by Dreadnaught
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

For instance, I want to build some gate posts to match the garage. Not a clue what bricks they used. Tried taking a photo but...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Brick barbeque,

step to back door until (or even unless) I get my drive sorted. 

Brick table near to where the boot of my car will be, to unload shopping

screen for bins

a compost heap

Eeerrrrr!    Eeerrrrrr!    Not that any of those are likely to happen but you did say 'could'   O.o:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1