43 minutes ago, PeterW said:

At least there will be hot showers ....

Yeah good point! :D 

And the ability to turn on a tap and hot water arrives which is still a novelty :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hecateh said:

As far as materials are concerned it specifically states in the conditions that I cannot use loose material.  However, I think there may be a case for reducing the size of the drive that is solid bound and using loose fill at ends and sides.

In my planning conditions it specifies no loose material within a minimum distance from the road. I have yet to investigate how they would measure that distance as my driveway is not straight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Doors and Windows - make it watertight

Internal walls

First fix plumbing, heating and wiring

UFH (depending on method...)

Screed (depending on UFH)

Wall and Sloping ceiling insulation

Board and Skim

Loft insulation

2nd Fix Doors / Archs / Skirts

2nd Fix plumbing

2nd Fix Electrics 

Has (CH)BB given you the exact make and model of the boiler yet..?? that will influence first fix... and is gas connected anywhere..?

@Hecateh comparing the schedule above from @PeterW to your spreadsheet I’m concerned that your estimates don’t break down far enough. Now you may have everything at a more granular level separately but the electrics being quoted @ 2k for example. Presumably that’s for both 1st and 2nd fix? Do the quotes you have cover both things as the first fix wiring could be quite a while before the 2nd fix work if you are thinking of delaying work in certain rooms for example. And at the end you will need the electrical certificate for building control. Does it include the light fittings, sockets, switches etc? 

You will need to insulate the floor and I don’t see that noted or the screed unless it’s bundled into one of your categories. Personally I would start with Peter’s list and augment it to try to ensure that you have covered everything needed. Broken down into labour and materials unless you are certain that your quotes cover both. Even then you will need to know exactly what is included and ensure that it covers everything you need, or that you are aware of anything excluded. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, newhome said:

@Hecateh comparing the schedule above from @PeterW to your spreadsheet I’m concerned that your estimates don’t break down far enough. Now you may have everything at a more granular level separately but the electrics being quoted @ 2k for example. Presumably that’s for both 1st and 2nd fix? Do the quotes you have cover both things as the first fix wiring could be quite a while before the 2nd fix work if you are thinking of delaying work in certain rooms for example. And at the end you will need the electrical certificate for building control. Does it include the light fittings, sockets, switches etc? 

You will need to insulate the floor and I don’t see that noted or the screed unless it’s bundled into one of your categories. Personally I would start with Peter’s list and augment it to try to ensure that you have covered everything needed. Broken down into labour and materials unless you are certain that your quotes cover both. Even then you will need to know exactly what is included and ensure that it covers everything you need, or that you are aware of anything excluded. 

Yes - I understand there are discrepancies and I need to do more work before asking for quotes.  The lower floor and  entry level are insulated to an extent and I know that I need to make sure that the UFH quote includes, insulation and screeding - or at least be aware if it doesn't.  I am practising a mantra suggested earlier in this post.  "Does that include everything?"  along with "Is there any else I will need for this?" and "Can you do me a detailed breakdown?' where the job is complex.  

I also intend to make full use of this forum getting all my quotes checked. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I also intend to make full use of this forum getting all my quotes checked. 

Yes there is great knowledge on this forum. I wish I had found it before paying quite a lot of money for people to ‘fix’ my heating when none of what was done would have fixed the issues. Then once this forum was involved it was an easy fix, (wasn’t it @Nickfromwales and @PeterW ):ph34r:  

• Sad 1

If I'd found this forum earlier I would have been wiser too. 

We just have to be so thankful we found it when we did.

I can't imagine where I would be now without it.  All the support both practical and emotional means so much

'Thanks' just isn't enough

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, newhome said:

Yes there is great knowledge on this forum. I wish I had found it before paying quite a lot of money for people to ‘fix’ my heating when none of what was done would have fixed the issues. Then once this forum was involved it was an easy fix, (wasn’t it @Nickfromwales and @PeterW ):ph34r:  

Yea. Practically fixed itself tbh. 9_9 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got to give the builder his due.

He has thrown everything at it this week with one finishing the back gable and boundary wall and 3 working on the roof.  Tensions have educed since we have agreed what will be done and how much I will pay.  I think they've worked harder this week than any week since the beginning. 

• Like 1

Um

Sounds like he wants out, so be very vigilant about the quality.

A few years back I had been complaining to some suppliers about there quality of products.  Asked 3 suppliers to provide me with their best.  Two then supplied excellent products after sending us rubbish for a few weeks.

One, and the one I stuck with, personally came around and said that what we were getting was the best he could supplier at that time.  We have stayed with him ever since as he is honest and would not send us rubbish if he could get better (it is fresh vegetables).

So I am always very wary of people that can suddenly up their game.

Edited by SteamyTea

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Um

Sounds like he wants out, so be very vigilant about the quality.

A few years back I had been complaining to some suppliers about there quality of products.  Asked 3 suppliers to provide me with their best.  Two then supplied excellent products after sending us rubbish for a few weeks.

One, and the one I stuck with, personally came around and said that what we were getting was the best he could supplier at that time.  We have stayed with him ever since as he is honest and would not send us rubbish if he could get better (it is fresh vegetables).

So I am always very wary of people that can suddenly up their game.

He is out once the roof is done.  We have agreed to go our different ways

17 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Three? Three!

Colour me sceptical, as I seem to recall pictures of about twenty-three.

Yep 23! And the pints in the pub, oh and the Stella too, and for the avoidance of doubt I wasn’t drinking beer! :) 

The saving grace was that no one attempted to do anything to the heating late on Sat night as that may have been a bit of a disaster!  :D

27 minutes ago, newhome said:

Yep 23! And the pints in the pub, oh and the Stella too, and for the avoidance of doubt I wasn’t drinking beer! :) 

The saving grace was that no one attempted to do anything to the heating late on Sat night as that may have been a bit of a disaster!  :D

All work and no play eh ;) 

besides, we did get there for grub at gone 9pm and it was essentially a business lunch with a valued client :ph34r:

51 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

All work and no play eh ;) 

besides, we did get there for grub at gone 9pm and it was essentially a business lunch with a valued client :ph34r:

Yeah point taken :D and no one was complaining until the hangovers kicked in on Sun am! I’m still blaming @PeterW for leading everyone astray ;)

25 minutes ago, PeterW said:

What ..??!! I was driving ..!!! 

Yeah back seat driving in the taxi on the way home as we had to abandon the van due to the named driver’s (aka @PeterW) alcohol consumption!! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

It was the second pint that did it.... then the 3rd, 4th and 5th didn’t help either..!

And that was before the cans started when we got home! I did offer to drive before we set off - just sayin! ;)