Furniture suggestions?

Well it has finally got to the stage where I need to start thinking about the furniture for my little house. Exciting times!

With it being a small open plan place, I really would like the dining/lounge/bedroom furniture to match, as they are really occupying the same space. Preferred style is oak, something fairly understated, and ideally everything needs to be quite neat in size. It's only a 43m2 house, afterall.

Budget is fairly tight, but I do want this stuff to withstand a few seasons of holiday letting.

The usual suspects like Ikea and John Lewis don't seem to offer suitable matching sets.

Current front runner is 'Chiltern Oak Furniture' who are online only. I'm not massively keen on buying unseen, but they get reasonable reviews. I guess I could buy a single item and then return it if not happy with the quality, but that's going to cause postage issues, delays, and general trouble. Total cost for everything I need is about £1200.

We have a big oak furniture place in Inverness but that's about twice the price of Chiltern.

And finally, bargain bucket store 'B&M' have some nice looking stuff on their website- the TV unit there is actually by far the most suitable for the space I have, as it's nice and compact. About 50% cheaper than Chiltern. Trouble is they sound an absolute nightmare to deal with, and it might be a bit like trying to deal with a pound shop :D- they won't hold stock, you can't pre-order, and they don't guarantee to have anything in stock. I'd be interested to hear if anybody has had success with them, though.

Thanks- there are two in Inverness though, so it ought to be possible for me to collect things. Very kind offer though.

What has me worried is that when I phoned up, they said that they can't confirm or reserve stock over the phone. It sounds as though you just have to go in and if they have what you want, buy it there and then. My MiL is going to do a recce for us, I just think that with seven separate items to buy, the chances of getting them all in stock at the same time might be slim.

it would certainly help the budget if it works out though, and at that price I won't be heartbroken when things inevitably start getting damaged.

Just now, Crofter said:

Thanks- there are two in Inverness though, so it ought to be possible for me to collect things. Very kind offer though.

What has me worried is that when I phoned up, they said that they can't confirm or reserve stock over the phone. It sounds as though you just have to go in and if they have what you want, buy it there and then. My MiL is going to do a recce for us, I just think that with seven separate items to buy, the chances of getting them all in stock at the same time might be slim.

it would certainly help the budget if it works out though, and at that price I won't be heartbroken when things inevitably start getting damaged.

I haven't bought furniture from there but when I've been in there they do seem to have lots of furniture on display so go and buy what they've got and then send the MIL in again for the remainder until you get all 7 things. Worst case you can just return it within 30 days. Might take a few trips but doesn't sound like a complete no no. 

The Range do furniture too although I haven't bought from there either ...... 

I took a passing interest in the furniture at B&M when I was in there last (@Coopers is a big fan of American Payday bars, and I don't know anyone else in this country that stocks them).

This is far from an in-depth review, but I very much doubt any of it would "withstand a few seasons of holiday letting." ;)

• Like 1

I bought a cheap office chair from B&M, I am very pleased with it.  Much better than the 40 quid price tag suggested.

It is a shame that you are at the wrong end of the country.  If you were near High Wycombe you would be spoilt for choice when it comes to furniture.

55 minutes ago, richi said:

I took a passing interest in the furniture at B&M when I was in there last (@Coopers is a big fan of American Payday bars, and I don't know anyone else in this country that stocks them).

This is far from an in-depth review, but I very much doubt any of it would "withstand a few seasons of holiday letting." ;)

I think they look quite sturdy, if they are put together properly should be fine for a few years and easy to replace if damaged. 

• Like 1