4 hours ago, Yzzy said:

Hiya... Do we have to claim VAT back then?

I understood if the house is uninhabited then the companies should only charge 5% VAT?

Only in certain circumstances ....! How long has it been unoccupied and has council tax been paid on it ..??

Posted (edited)

I received my letter from HMRC this morning. Claim allowed in full, no queries or deductions. Jeez Louise, I’m still in shock!  ? The wait was long but ultimately worth it. Doesn’t say how long the payment will take but I will report back once I receive it ??????????

DF706083-06E7-4D77-BEE9-ED3E427A75FF.jpeg

Love the way the letter is dated the 16th July when it's only the 14th today ;)

Edited by newhome
  • Like 6

Excellent news ..!!!

• Thanks 1

Fantastic news so pleased for you.

• Thanks 1

Brilliant, well done, not looking forward to doing mine ?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

It all seems very random re the initial deductions and other info they have asked others for. I guess all that people can do is to put in as much info as they can at the time of submission based on what others have been asked for. If at the start I had read that others had subsequently been asked to send the component list from the timber frame company I would have included that with my claim for example as it has delayed payment for others. I didn't include it however and it wasn't requested ?

Edited by newhome

Hurrah! Well done - New hand bag on the cards?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Hurrah! Well done - New hand bag on the cards?

I already bought 3 last month and 2 pairs of boots none of which have seen the light of day yet so I'm having a hard time justifying another one. If I saw the perfect one however ... ;)

• Haha 1

..me......5 pairs of sandals in the last 2 weeks....thats before the vat reclaim in LOL  I’m sure that perfect bag is out there you just have to look?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lizzie said:

..me......5 pairs of sandals in the last 2 weeks....thats before the vat reclaim in LOL  I’m sure that perfect bag is out there you just have to look?

I went for knee length boots as there are some bargain offers around in the current heatwave with no one wearing or buying boots (apart from me!). Have lots of sandals but I dare say another pair is just a mouse click away :D

• Like 1

I won’t be telling my other half about the VAT refund, she’s already earmarked things she wants but it won’t include shoes or handbags ?

• Haha 3

On 12/07/2018 at 21:33, PeterW said:

Only in certain circumstances ....! How long has it been unoccupied and has council tax been paid on it ..??

3 years, maybe more.... 150% CT being paid at the moment as it is empty adn the council are having a hissy fit that nobody lives there

If you can prove it's been empty more than 2 years a building contractor can charge you a reduced VAT rate on any refurb work....

https://renovateme.co.uk/blog/vat-2-year-rule/

The work isn't covered by the self build vat reclaim scheme (which is for new build or conversions) so you can't diy and then reclaim the VAT.

Letter from HMRC received on 14th July, money in my account today so it took 5 working days which is pretty good I think. Let the spending begin ? ???

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, newhome said:

Letter from HMRC received on 14th July, money in my account today so it took 5 working days which is pretty good I think. Let the spending begin ? ???

Great news....well done!  Enjoy the spree.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, newhome said:

[...]

money in my account today so it took 5 working days which is pretty good

[...]

Lend us a fiver will ya? ☺️

Just now, recoveringacademic said:

Lend us a fiver will ya? ☺️

Sure! Might even run to a tenner ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, newhome said:

Yep, we've had ours too, so at least they're coughing the dough a bit quicker (once they've approved it). I'd like to think my letter to MP and Housing Minister may have helped, but I very much doubt it!

• Like 3