Just a quick heads-up for anyone awaiting a payment from HMRC, the quoted 6 weeks to process application plus up to 20 working days beyond that for payment is not happening at present. We submitted ours 11 weeks ago so I gave them a call yesterday and it hasn't even been processed yet :(

• Sad 1

And there was me thinking that I might hear something soon! I’m a few weeks behind yours on that basis, and they wrote to me asking for some info about the PP so I imagine the clock reset at that point too. I love how HMRC set very strict deadlines themselves that we have to comply with yet are incompetent themselves! 

3 hours ago, newhome said:

And there was me thinking that I might hear something soon! I’m a few weeks behind yours on that basis, and they wrote to me asking for some info about the PP so I imagine the clock reset at that point too. I love how HMRC set very strict deadlines themselves that we have to comply with yet are incompetent themselves! 

Just like the tax man 🤐

Well HMRC sure as hell doesn’t stand for Help Me Recover Cash! 

Oom I wanted what would happen if we were six weeks late submitting our end of year

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, nod said:

Oom I wanted what would happen if we were six weeks late submitting our end of year

Go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect £200. Or a fine at the very least ;)

Bloody double standards! The least they can do is update the bloody form to say there is a delay, or include a link to current indicative lead times. 

Edited by newhome

15 minutes ago, newhome said:

Go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect £200. Or a fine at the very least ;)

They tried that with me - I posted a form and letter back to them with a deadline on it, sent recorded delivery.... Two weeks after the deadline they sent me a penalty notice for non-filing, I sent them (by post again ... 9_9) a copy of the tracking information showing clearly the date it was signed for was ten days before their deadline ... 7 weeks later they replied to my original letter, 11 weeks later they replied to my “appeal” to their penalty but not before they had sent 3 more chasing letters..!

Incompetent doesn’t come close ... 

I would love to be able to wait that amount of time to pay my quarterly company VAT return

@markruth we appear to be very close neighbours. I’m currently renting in b98 building in b96

Posted (edited)

They are still sending letters quoting 6 weeks plus 20 days but the clock only starts now apparently! They received my claim on 21st Feb. They then took about 3 weeks to send me a letter asking for further info on the PP, and having received my response on 23rd March have taken until now to confirm they have everything. So 6 weeks plus 20 days from now is circa 22nd June! So if they are on target that will be 4 months to obtain the refund. 

DBEDDD9C-F951-499D-9115-A1BBF55EEA48.jpeg

Edited by newhome

Great news, fingers crossed for you!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, newhome said:

They are still sending letters quoting 6 weeks plus 20 days but the clock only starts now apparently! They received my claim on 21st Feb. They then took about 3 weeks to send me a letter asking for further info on the PP, and having received my response on 23rd March have taken until now to confirm they have everything. So 6 weeks plus 20 days from now is circa 22nd June! So if they are on target that will be 4 months to obtain the refund. 

DBEDDD9C-F951-499D-9115-A1BBF55EEA48.jpeg

I've now been waiting almost 12 weeks since receiving that letter, so don't hold your breath on having the refund before mid/end July.

33 minutes ago, NSS said:

I've now been waiting almost 12 weeks since receiving that letter, so don't hold your breath on having the refund before mid/end July.

Never holding any breath where HMRC is concerned. Risk of suffocation too great! ;) Just as well no one needs the money huh! 9_9

On 14/04/2018 at 11:07, lizzie said:

@markruth we appear to be very close neighbours. I’m currently renting in b98 building in b96

At the moment Lizzie :) we are building in Shropshire

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, markruth said:

At the moment Lizzie :) we are building in Shropshire

I can see Clee Hill from my plot........

Today, 13 weeks after my VAT reclaim was acknowledged, I receive a letter from HMRC, disallowing a third of the amount claimed. The other two thirds will, they say, be paid within 20 working days, but they require further details before they will pay the rest. For the most part they want a more detailed breakdown of the materials covered on the invoices, a couple of (relatively small) invoices don't actually say 'invoice' (Internet purchases) and one invoice they say doesn't qualify (for delivery/collection of the site office). 

What pi$$es me off is that they will no doubt take another 13 weeks to 'process' the additional info and another 20 days thereafter to pay the money THEY OWE ME! >:(

52 minutes ago, NSS said:

Today, 13 weeks after my VAT reclaim was acknowledged, I receive a letter from HMRC, disallowing a third of the amount claimed. The other two thirds will, they say, be paid within 20 working days, but they require further details before they will pay the rest. For the most part they want a more detailed breakdown of the materials covered on the invoices, a couple of (relatively small) invoices don't actually say 'invoice' (Internet purchases) and one invoice they say doesn't qualify (for delivery/collection of the site office). 

What pi$$es me off is that they will no doubt take another 13 weeks to 'process' the additional info and another 20 days thereafter to pay the money THEY OWE ME! >:(

That seems a lot to disallow! :( What sort of 'evidence' will they allow re the 'detailed breakdown'? I will be stuffed if they want more details I think as so much time has passed. There was were some tiling 'invoices' that when I looked at them before the claim I thought looked a bit weird (we paid the full money for the tiles but they kept them in the warehouse for us and we were given a draw down receipt when we collected them but the actual 'invoice' although it showed VAT said 'deposit''). And the granite worktop was quite a lot of money (3% of the claim) but for some reason didn't show the vat as a separate amount which I thought looked a bit weird and the invoice looks a bit 'home made' (although it wasn't!). So who knows what ones they will knock back as there were lots of internet purchases! Will just be very annoying to have paid VAT in good faith and then have things that clearly qualify disallowed.  

I didn't think you could claim for things not built into the fabric of the building (eg a site office or delivery of site office)? 

1 hour ago, newhome said:

That seems a lot to disallow! :( What sort of 'evidence' will they allow re the 'detailed breakdown'? I will be stuffed if they want more details I think as so much time has passed. There was were some tiling 'invoices' that when I looked at them before the claim I thought looked a bit weird (we paid the full money for the tiles but they kept them in the warehouse for us and we were given a draw down receipt when we collected them but the actual 'invoice' although it showed VAT said 'deposit''). And the granite worktop was quite a lot of money (3% of the claim) but for some reason didn't show the vat as a separate amount which I thought looked a bit weird and the invoice looks a bit 'home made' (although it wasn't!). So who knows what ones they will knock back as there were lots of internet purchases! Will just be very annoying to have paid VAT in good faith and then have things that clearly qualify disallowed.  

I didn't think you could claim for things not built into the fabric of the building (eg a site office or delivery of site office)? 

Our TF supplier manufactured and erected the frame, but also supplied some of the other materials. The former was zero-rated, but the latter was VATable. Description thereof on the invoices is simply 'building set materials' so we have to provide a breakdown of what that comprised.

As for the transport cost, you're probably right, though I claimed it as the rental company said that whilst VAT on the rental couldn't be claimed, it could on the transport (they even put the transport on a separate invoice), but hey ho it's only £28 - the rest is about £6k!

Just now, NSS said:

Our TF supplier manufactured and erected the frame, but also supplied some of the other materials. The former was zero-rated, but the latter was VATable. Description thereof on the invoices is simply 'building set materials' so we have to provide a breakdown of what that comprised.

Years ago when I first started my build and looked at the VAT reclaim form you had to supply a materials list if you used a company such as a timber frame company that supplied anything from the timber frame to door handles (for example). I was surprised not to see that as a requirement when I came to fill out the now revised claim form. I think I should be ok if they ask for that as I definitely have the Stage 3 materials list (which lists the things that aren't really connected with the frame itself) and I know that my timber frame company still has my file electronically as I asked them for something from it a few months ago. My TF company didn't erect the frame so the whole TF kit and caboodle is included in my claim. The TF invoices make up 40% of my claim so I imagine they may well disallow that at the beginning. At least your post has managed my expectations (downwards lol). 

The same thing happened to our VAT Claim for  all the internal door sets, which we originally claimed  as one invoice for the lot. This was rejected and we had to provide a detailed breakdown, door by door.  It was easy to do  - we had a priced schedule with all the detail - but it dragged out the final refund payment as follows:

Original submission - 12 April 2017

Partial Refund  with rejected elements - 21 June 2017

Appeal/resubmission of rejected elements - 5 July 2017

Payment of resubmitted claim - 20 October 2017

HMRC Turnaround seem to have grown lot longer since last year, so start assembling all the necessary detail for the appeal/resubmission , so that you can resubmit quickly.........

Edited by HerbJ

46 minutes ago, HerbJ said:

The same thing happened to our VAT Claim for  all the internal door sets, which we originally claimed  as one invoice for the lot. This was rejected and we had to provide a detailed breakdown, door by door.  It was easy to do  - we had a priced schedule with all the detail - but it dragged out the final refund payment as follows:

Internal door sets door by door? :S What did that prove? That you had the right number of doors and wasn’t claiming for someone else? 

Do they actually count all of the windows and doors? 

They’ve already asked for additional details once. Looks like I might get mine in time for the Xmas credit card bill then! 9_9