Glue to Stick Down Rubber Mats

Ferdinand

I need a recommendation for a glue to stick down rubber flooring in a gym. It needs to be high quality as it is a commercial gym.

We have done tests, which suggest that a suitable glue is this one, which is in B&Q:

https://www.diy.com/departments/evo-stik-serious-stuff-solvent-free-grab-adhesive-0-29l/212376_BQ.prd

B&Q have a price of £9.63 per 290mm tube.

Since we are looking at about 80 tubes by our estimate, savings are worthwhile.

Can anyone suggest either

1 - A more competitive source for Evo Stik Serious Stuff Solvent Free Adhesive or

2 - An equivalent product that is as good and better value.

Thanks

Ferdinand

33 minutes ago, newhome said:

£9.11 on Amazon Prime. Sure you must be able to get it cheaper on a bulk purchase. Tried Jewson or the like? 

I would be looking for a price of about £4-5 ie a bit less than half B&Q, but If it is an alternative I need a sample test quickly.

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I need a recommendation for a glue to stick down rubber flooring in a gym

Thats an unusual gym floor material ..! I would be pretty cautious using rubber flooring if it’s going anywhere near free weights as they can tear flooring very easily and it needs to be replaceable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Thats an unusual gym floor material ..! I would be pretty cautious using rubber flooring if it’s going anywhere near free weights as they can tear flooring very easily and it needs to be replaceable. 

+1 but could be fine for the bondage den

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

We had a gym in the last place (full commercial equipment). The flooring was rubber, actually the same stuff they use in horse stables. There is NO way it would tear and split; 4 stallion hoof proof! :)

The only problem is the 8x4 sheets are seriously heavy! 

Thank-you for the rapid replies to this question.

To reply to comments:

15 hours ago, PeterW said:

I have raised this and it is confirmed that we have the right stuff. 12mm thick, ribbed on one side, dimpled on the other, and has been down for 3 years at the existing gym already. Indeed, quite like horse matting. 

@Barney12 Yep .. like horse matting. 8x4 sheets would weigh (I reckon, having carried some in the move) approximately 20-25kg each. We must have moved about 60 of them.  One issue is that the underside is ribbed, which moves me towards cartridge glue using beads of glue, rather than paint-on. One nice thing about a gym is the muscly volunteers who are around.

The weights are made of a rubbery material themselves (haven't enquired exactly what, but they bounce to an extent), and we have had a "don't drop barbels unless a a safety need" practice, since we have been upstairs. I am told that a raw concrete floor would be OK practically, but we take care of our kit and having a matted floor means we keep the lifetime guarantee on the kit.

17 hours ago, newhome said:

Actually it’s only just over a fiver from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. 

Looking further, that I looks like a small qty of leftovers or post-date, which would be fine except for the small numbers.

I have found the same product at just over £7.00 a tube here with free delivery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004R24U76/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A23QNSXGYIM2TJ&psc=1

I am not a true Amazon Offers nerd, and I am not quite sure how I found it, though it may have been via this "offer listing" (whatever that is in the Amazon ecosystem): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B004R24U76

I do think Evo-Stik have a range confusion problem. Far too many similar sounding glues. Perhaps they are in a livery change - the same product seems to be both black and silver.

12 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

+1 but could be fine for the bondage den

I couldn't possibly comment. Is this on the option list in your development with the smooooooth kitchens in the other thread? Wine cellar or dungeon - take your pick? B|

7 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

Thanks. For this particular application the tub and paint option seems to be working out more expensive, because we would be wasting some glue due to the ribbed underside of the mats, even at 50% or 25-33% coverage. Looks like we are going to end up with three to five lengthwise beads per mat.

17 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Everbuild Technical Dept suggest normal Stixall General Purpose adhesive.

I have a sample of this arriving this morning which will be tested on our test-mat. Criteria is that it should stick quickly, must not move but should be peelable-off without too much palaver.

If this works the cost will be something around £3.00 and a bit per cartridge.

Will update with the results of the test.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Out of interest for anyone who commented on this thread, this is a site video of our new gym a couple of days ago.

Have temporarily stuck the video on Vimeo. You may want to scan through it.

It lost the sound along the way, however. The password is "hexis"

F

Edited by Ferdinand