New member, looking forward to building first house

Youngredders

Hello all

I recently paid a deposit on 0.2 acres of land to build my families forever home. What happens next is anyone's guess. I'm not afraid to say I'm naive and suitably ignorant when it comes to building property, but my wife and I are incredibly excited nonetheless. 

I'm looking forward to reading all the help topics in this forum and getting to know all you lovely people.

I've bought the homebuilders bible 12 from Amazon, but i'd appreciate any help and guidance you can provide me.

Thank you all.

J

• Like 2

Welcome and good luck with the project.

There's nothing wrong with a state of ignorance, I've found it's a permanent thing with building houses as as soon as you learn one thing, you realise there are 100 others about which you know nothing. Speaking personally, of course!

38 minutes ago, Youngredders said:

[...]

I recently paid a deposit on 0.2 acres of land to build my families forever home.

[...]

Welcome to the 'club.

We are building our forever home too. We are about 4 years in to the process; we recently needed to remind ourselves of the level of enthusiasm you have. Hang on to it. A self-build is a marathon. 

Nobody on BH knows everything. And I think it's fair to say that the less you know, the more help you get here. Just ask away, the more targeted the question, the easier it is for us respond.

Good luck

ian

• Like 1

Congrats on your buy and good luck on your journey! 

Weve just finished our new build house too! To be honest we're complete newbies and the learning curve was extreme to say the least!!! Be prepared for stresses emotionally, financially and physically! But it's so worth it when you're in. Never shall we move again!!

Main learning points were - set a budget and then allow for a backup fund for those unexpected surprises and maybe some nice to haves on site! 

Get a good architect and team behind you, we used [architect name removed by mods - please PM poster for details] who were awesome.

Make sure you're happy with the design! Turns out it's more expensive to change things after they've been built!! Who would've thought eh? 

Good luck!

Edited by jack
No commercial links please, especially for new members without a substantial posting history

On 4/10/2018 at 12:04, Youngredders said:

I recently paid a deposit on 0.2 acres of land to build my families forever home.  

Welcome to Buildhub!

On 4/10/2018 at 12:04, Youngredders said:

I'm not afraid to say I'm naive and suitably ignorant when it comes to building property, but my wife and I are incredibly excited nonetheless. 

Other than those in the trades, I think it's fair to say that every one of us was naive and ignorant at the start of the process. Some of us are only slight less so at the end!

Does the plot have planning permission? That's a hugely important matter to sort out before you consider finalising the deal. If it can't get planning permission, or if you can't build for some reason even if you get planning permission (no way to get services in, for example, or too costly), you may be paying a lot for the assumption that you can build.