Doors and windows fitted. A few issues.

JamesP

Advice appreciated.

Doors and windows installed and a few scars to resolve. Doors and windows are Kastrup and the the 4m slider is Internorm. All 3G. 

Firstly, the glass in one of the windows appears to have roller marks about 150mm wide down each side. This makes the glass appear very wavey and distorted. Only visible from outside.

The slider has a deep gauge on the face of the opening slider.

Gauge and dents in 2 of the timber frames.

I have sent an email and photos to the installers and await a reply.

@lizzie

@Barney12

IMG_0135.1.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

Unit needs replacing - that is a heat stress / roller mark from manufacture so the unit isn’t up to standard. 

All the rest rest could be fixed by Magic Man - tbh I would get the unit changed, check they are all water and air tight and then get magic man in at the end to fix the issues and agree the cost will be covered by the fitting company. 

Having a window fitter touch up those scratches would be like having your car repainted with a 9” roller .... 

• Like 1

All ours were Internorm so don't know about Kastrup but I would not accept that glass.

I have to get magic man in at the end, have scrapes and dings inside and out. Not installers just building site dings.  Thankfully all our sliders are now watertight after more than 6 months of leaks and being given the run around by installers..  Rubbish installers ........when I eventually contacted them direct  Internorm were very helpful in getting it sorted out.

As PeterW says check them all over for water and air tight too..

I would not pay your installers the full balance, make a retention otherwise you will have  a really hard time trying to get them to pay magic man or for anything else needed. Thankfully I made a retention on mine and in the end I used that to pay for the install rectification work specified by Internorm.

Edited by lizzie
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Have you paid the installers yet?  

90% has been paid. Terms and conditions stipulated payments before fitting.

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Unit needs replacing - that is a heat stress / roller mark from manufacture so the unit isn’t up to standard. 

All the rest rest could be fixed by Magic Man - tbh I would get the unit changed, check they are all water and air tight and then get magic man in at the end to fix the issues and agree the cost will be covered by the fitting company. 

Having a window fitter touch up those scratches would be like having your car repainted with a 9” roller .... 

Yes, Heat stress / roller mark. Not sure why it would leave the factory like this, its so obvious.

Thanks for Magicman.

4 minutes ago, lizzie said:

I have to get magic man in at the end, have scrapes and dings inside and out.  Thankfully all ours are now watertight after more than 6 months of leaks.  Rubbish installers, Internorm were very helpful in getting it sorted out.

Glad to hear you are watertight. Who paid for magicman, the installers?

1 hour ago, JamesP said:

Advice appreciated.

Doors and windows installed and a few scars to resolve. Doors and windows are Kastrup and the the 4m slider is Internorm. All 3G. 

Firstly, the glass in one of the windows appears to have roller marks about 150mm wide down each side. This makes the glass appear very wavey and distorted. Only visible from outside.

The slider has a deep gauge on the face of the opening slider.

Gauge and dents in 2 of the timber frames.

I have sent an email and photos to the installers and await a reply.

@lizzie

@Barney12

IMG_0135.1.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

I would insist that all frames with damage are replace

Magic man is good

If you or one of your other trades had caused the damage

Why accept a repair

Would take delivery of a new car and then cont chips away to sort out chips and scratches 

Hi Dave,  the installers are from the suppliers. 

Have a meeting tomorrow at midday with them to go through issues. 

Will keep you updated. 

The glazing with the roller marks concern me most. 

@ProDave

Edited by JamesP
Spellin

There is a lesson to be learnt here and not just for windows.  A few things spring to mind..

Check ALL  deliveries carefully before and after it is lifted off the transport, if possible.   That is not only obvious damage against but all the parameters against  the order/invoice  -  quantity, specification,  colour , everything. ......Our front door assembly was delivered with the wrong external RAL Colour and the wrong internal wood finish - I spotted this on the lorry but kept quiet and made the fitters install it because i needed to get the house secure, weathertight and  progress towards the blower door test. In the event, there was little argument as it was quickly proven to be a supplier  error, but the replacement door took another 12 weeks or so  and caused  delays with internal  completion and also external rendering. Also watch  the BM's - they often will deliver what they consider to be an equivalent product instead of what you ordered - insulation, plasterboard, etc  without contacting you to get you approval.

Reject deliveries and do not accept, if they are clearly damaged or incorrect  We had  a few problems - we had a  all the glass balustrades for our stairs/landing delivered  to our site and

it was clear that some of then panels  it had never been packed correctly, as there were glass shards on the lorry as we started to unload.  We  took pictures on the lorry,  and then every piece of glass, which basically we unloaded piece by piece.    The delivery was a day or so later than scheduled and it transpired the load had been quarantined by the delivery company  at their  marshalling centre, because the load was unsafe and they had repacked it, as best they could, before delivery.  Again, we had to have about six panels replaced, which delayed completion of the stairs. 

Report any problems to the supplier / responsible contractor immediately with photos evidence.    Be firm and reject anything before it is incorporated in the works.

Contracts  normally state a period for reporting damage - make sure you understand your contract in this respect.. 

Know your specification and orders in detail.  Sometimes, the  mistake may be yours.  it saves a lot time to understand this  quickly, accept it  and move forward with a quick resolution/replacement as necessary.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JamesP said:

Hi Dave,  the installers are from the suppliers. 

Have a meeting tomorrow at midday with them to go through issues. 

Will keep you updated. 

The glazing with the roller marks concern me most. 

@ProDave

At least it's "one person's" problem you paid for supply and fit, so it does not matter to you whether they were damaged in deliver or in installation.

Have you paid the final payment? I hope not as that's your position of power to get it sorted.

Our back door should have had obscure glass. It came with clear. I pointed it out before it was fitted. They fitted it anyway and said new glass would be ordered and it would be replaced. Of course it never was, rubbish installers never did it despite a lot of reminders and given the extent of the other problems we had it just got lost in the mix.  The 10% retention I had just about covered the remedial work but not new glass or the man hours I had paid my builders who kept being given the run around by the installers.....could have been worse!

On 4/10/2018 at 22:40, ProDave said:

At least it's "one person's" problem you paid for supply and fit, so it does not matter to you whether they were damaged in deliver or in installation.

Have you paid the final payment? I hope not as that's your position of power to get it sorted.

Final payment not made. So far they have recognised all the issues and will keep you informed of progress. Might take a while.

• Like 1