Desperate advice for access road

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

@Vijay

One point we have not explored is whether the site is owned personally or as a limited company.

If it is a limited company he could be doing it to close it and walk away as soon as possible, so he can get his last lot of money out.

Ferdinand

If you mean the access road, then it's owned by the developer which is a Ltd company but I believe this is a tiny fish in his pond, he's used to doing much bigger developments

7 hours ago, lizzie said:

@Vijay I’m sure I must have missed it. I’m not clear about the developer situation on your plot.  Have you bought a serviced plot on a development site rather than a stand alone plot?

a serviced plot of a development of 4 houses

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 09:25, newhome said:

Then you just ask them to tell the drivers to be careful to get the message across. Different strokes for different folk (or suppliers). There doesn’t have to be a one size fits all approach. 

Would hosing down the road surface at the expected HGV turning points reduce risk of road damage?

Hopefully a step forward but not finished yet..............

While on site yesterday, I saw them measuring and marking up for the access road. The site guy who works for the developer was there and also the guy who's doing the work. They both confirmed the following:

The access road will be built to take 60t, the same as any other road whether it's adopted by the council or not. Construction vehicles are no problem.

It has to be able to take full fire rigs and I assume more than one if there's a big fire.

The guy doing the work said if anything moves or sinks in this road, they have simply done something wrong as it shouldn't move in any way.

They will be using 80mm blocks.

They said that all I would need to do is clean up any concrete that may spill, which obviously I have no problem doing.

So I've emailed the developer with all this and asked him to confirm it. I've also called him to see if this can be dealt with and put to rest as we all want an easy life. He's going to read the email, speak to his site guy, then call me back.

I genuinely hope he can just confirm in writing what his guys have said, he's always been reasonable so I don't understand why this wasn't confirmed and wrapped up ages ago. But if not, I have no choice but to inform planning enforcement if they start work because I have to cover myself.

Good.

It may feel that all the background work you have done has been time ill-spent.

No so, as 1 - It is learning, and 2 - Contingency planning is worthwhile - it could have been different.

Glad to hear the news.

Ferdinand

45 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Absolutely, I'm a knowledge is power thinking person so if nothing else this prepares things if it doesn't go smoothly

That’s the way I tend to operate too. My biggest regret was being way too hands off with my build that bit me in the arse big style later. Always trust your instincts. 

1 hour ago, bassanclan said:

Make sure you get something in  writing about the warranty on this road

100%, don't trust anything that's said to me as sadly a lot of people don't stick to their word :(

Happy to say I got  call back and it was a perfectly pleasant conversation. He's going to reply to my email but is perfectly happy that the road will take construction vehicles and is rated to 60t.

What he did say is that if a truck went over an edge or corner and damaged it, then that wouldn't be normal use - which I can't argue with. So I'll be double checking the width of the road (is there a minimum?) and I just have to make sure nothing is dropped on it from exiting vehicles - which I'm more than happy to do.

• Like 1

You need to be there when deliveries are on site to make sure the hydraulic stabilisation rams which the big trucks use when using hiabs are not put directly on the paving. Most reputable merchants have chocks, but there's always a last delivery of the day etc

1 hour ago, bassanclan said:

You need to be there when deliveries are on site to make sure the hydraulic stabilisation rams which the big trucks use when using hiabs are not put directly on the paving. Most reputable merchants have chocks, but there's always a last delivery of the day etc

I always have done and always will ;) Luckily they can drive right onto my plot to unload so no stress on the road from unloading

Cheers Peter. The developer is now saying the road is only good for up to a fire engine - even though his employees doing the work say otherwise. I understand he's trying to cover himself but it's ridiculous!

I’d ask yourself what you are going to have delivered tbh. 

Most rigid BM wagons rarely go over 20t unless they are taking a full load of blocks. Concrete wagons again, for an 8 cube mixer it’s around the 18t mark when full. 

24 tonnes is a lot of weight - get your council to tell you how heavy the refuse Lorry is full as that’s the day to day benchmark and the one the developer probably should be aware of. 

BM told me it could be up to 36t as they do a round. I will certainly be getting blocks for the drive in the future.  I thought concrete lorries were up around 30t and I will have a lot of them as I'm ICF.

No refuse collections from the houses, bins have to be put at the front for collection.

I agree 24/26 tonnes is a lot but I'm not happy that it restricts things so we have to check weights for everything. I'm annoyed that his people say 60t but he ignores them completely. 

Remember, we have to pay the maintenance on this road after it's constructed!

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Just Googled and 8m3 concrete lorry = 33 tonnes, 6m3 = 26 tonnes.  More than I thought.  As far as road damage goes, maybe you are overthinking this.

I possibly am but the road is approx 100m long so might cost a lot if there's problems ahead :(