Self Build Specification Must-Haves

Steve

Hi Everyone,

We are in the early stages of our self build and I'm interested to get your specification must-haves whilst I still have the opportunity to make changes/look at alternatives.

I'm trying to keep an open mind so it can be anything relating to the self build which you believe shouldn't be missed off.

Whether it be a Hep2O manifold, MVHR system, CAT cabling, plant room, hot water tap etc etc.

Preferred brands where applicable would be appreciated too to help with researching.

Many thanks in advance!

This could be a long list.

LOTS of insulation.

Air tight membrane and seal everything to death.

MVHR

Good triple glazed windows and doors.

Efficient heating system probably with under floor heating.

Beyond that it gets very much into personal tastes.

If we are talking about layout, make sure you put your hot water tank right at the centre of where all the hot taps are to minimise pipe lengths to the hot tap. Don't do what my (plumber) friend did, and put the HW tank in the plant room at one end, the complete opposite end of the house to the bathrooms and kitchen.

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If we are talking about layout, make sure you put your hot water tank right at the centre of where all the hot taps are to minimise pipe lengths to the hot tap. Don't do what my (plumber) friend did, and put the HW tank in the plant room at one end, the complete opposite end of the house to the bathrooms and kitchen.

Mine is at the opposite end of the house in the plant room.....quite a wait for hot water to get through to the bathrooms, good tip ProDave. 

12 hours ago, CC45 said:

As per Dave. We did go 2g not 3g, difference was massive - years of gas!

Don't skimp on what you can't redo in the future.

Put the utility in the middle of the house.

I also went 2g not 3g, not a lot of difference in u value ( window manufacturer had their own glass technician to give optimum coatings).

i agree with lots of insulation, and air tightness with MVHR . I also agree with DHW cylinder central to points of use.

Rather than doing a full PHPP model, you could make a simple spreadsheet model and see what happens when you change the key elements of walls, doors, windows floor, and air changes.

You can normally get basic weather information for you area from the Met Office.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Rather than doing a full PHPP model, you could make a simple spreadsheet model and see what happens when you change the key elements of walls, doors, windows floor, and air changes.

You can normally get basic weather information for you area from the Met Office.

Like this one?  http://www.mayfly.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Fabric-and-ventilation-heat-loss-calculator-Master.xls

• Like 1

Modelling the performance of the house whilst it is still a drawing and easy to change, together with insulation, air-tightness and MVHR will go a long way to producing a comfortable house to live in. 

Keep things as simple as possible and bear in mind that anything Technology related is likely to dated in 5 yrs and obsolete in 10 years. 

Have a clear understanding of what your house requirements and budget are before you start. 

• Like 1