Pre finished doors

nod

We were looking at the Mexicano style doors

unfinished £75 prefinished £125

seems quite a difference 

The was a post on here showing a self finished door 

Think it may have been Barney Not sure can’t seem to find the post 

Any thoughts

I bought our Mexicano doors unfinished and gave them a couple of coats of Osmo oil.  At a guess I'd say it takes around 30 mins to rub the door down with a Scotchbrite pad, wipe the dust off and apply the first coat of Osmo.  The Osmo takes a fair time to dry hard enough to de-nib for the second coat, around 24 hours, but giving the doors a quick rub down again with a Scotchbrite pad to knock the nibs off and then apply the second coat of Osmo is a fair bit quicker, maybe 15 minutes or so.

Osmo is expensive, but goes a long way, I think we did all 13 doors in our house with about 1 1/2 tins for two coats, so around £3 or so per door for the oil plus around 3/4  hour to 1 hour labour per door.  Bear in mind that I'm an amateur, too, so someone who's better at finishing may well cut the time down a bit.

This is the best photo I can find of a finished door, done with the satin finish Osmo oil:

5ac8e5fbc01b2_Gardenroom.thumb.JPG.f3b22b8acd939ee504ea51b76eb351eb.JPG

I did the same, applied 3 coats in total, spending just over an hour per door between denibbing and applying the Osmo. Should be some pictures on my blog. 

I went for unfinished doors as I wanted the doors to have the same finish as our oak skirtings and facings. A prefinished door would have looked very different to the Osmo finish we had settled on.

4 hours ago, nod said:

seems quite a difference 

Any thoughts

Very much worth it If you have any medical issues.

Osmo seems to be vicious stuff wrt asthma etc. Gave my handyman a horrible migraine too, even though he is generally healthy to fumes etc. And we were quite well ventilated.

Edited by Ferdinand

8 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Very much worth it If you have any medical issues.

Osmo seems to be vicious stuff wrt asthma etc. Gave my handyman a horrible migraine too, even though he is generally healthy to fumes etc. And we were quite well ventilated.

Thanks for all the replies 

pictures look great 

Well worth buying the unfinished doors

4 hours ago, nod said:

seems quite a difference 

Any thoughts

Just having a little count up

20 door to do 

Nice saving 

1 hour ago, nod said:

Just having a little count up

20 door to do 

Nice saving 

Where are you buying from, and which model?

The collective be might be able to save you some more.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Where are you buying from, and which model?

The collections be might be able to save you some more.

F

It’s a Mexicano type door

Same as Howdens and Bench

a local timber merchant in Preston has them for 75 plus vat

2 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Same as Jeremy, I put on two coats of Osmo PolyX satin clear. Easiest finish I have used.

P1010002.thumb.JPG.5cf3fbe06678744ed0703ca9fc514911.JPG

I like your door Peter

Slso the handle looks great

Not one we would have considered 

But goes really well with this door 

• Thanks 1

Is a Mexicano the same as a Geneva or a Cottage Oak? Ie simulated 5 vertical planks with a frame?

I cannot find a Mexicano on the Howdens or Benchmarx websites.

I am sure it is but wanted to be sure.

Cheers.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I bought a narrower Geneva door from Wickes, when I decided to build a walk-in wardrobe as an afterthought, and they are nearly the same as the Mexicano.  There are small differences, the top and bottom board widths are slightly different, not enough to stand out, but enough to notice if you measure them.  Also, the core of the Wickes Geneva is just low density chipboard, that doesn't hold screws as well, and there was less trimming allowance (didn't matter for us, as I bought a door set, with linings).  Overall I thought the Mexicano doors we bought were a fair bit better than the Wickes Geneva, but that's based on a sample of one door from our local Wickes branch.

I think we all agree on Osmo.

But can I gently question these £90 inc VAT per door prices. You could be approx 15% below that, and at least 25% for the slightly lower-quality Wickes version.

Travis have their version of these doors at £78 at present including VAT and free delivery.

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Hardwood-Oak-Suffolk-Internal-Door-1981mm-x-838mm-x-35mm/p/480461

And Todd Doors where mine came from have them at £81 inc VAT. The quality mightily impressed my joiner. They charge delivery but price matched the TP lower price at that stage (£72 last Nov/Dec iirc) and free carriage when evidenced.

https://www.todd-doors.co.uk/cottage-oak-door

You would perhaps get yesterday's price of £78.85 if you point out it is on the Google ads still this morning.

Wickes are advertising their Geneva at 80 inc VAT, but trade is -10% and they had 15% off across the store (does not stack with trade) last weekend, which will return.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Geneva-Internal-Cottage-5-Panel-Oak-Veneer-Door---1981-x-762mm/p/214699

Of those three it may be possible to assess the TP door at a local branch in Preston. Todd are a southern supplier with showrooms in that area.

Based on that the doors plus hinges, handles, and latch, should be around £90 all in. Although paying slightly more to support a local business may be a good decision.

Unless there is something I do not know.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

All the Geneva / Suffolk / Mexicano doors are not the same - quickest way to check is look at the weight. The TP and Wickes ones are mix and match, the Howdens ones are not as clean on the grooves as the others and the ones made by XL Joinery weigh about 10kg more than the others as they are semi-solid core. 

I just got delivery of my Jen Weld cottage oak doors and the finishing instructions say to stain or varnish but

“ our doors are NOT suitable for waxes, polishes, dyes or oils ( eg danish oil) as they do not properly seal the door and can lead to delamination of the veneer”

i was was going to use Osmo like I have on the stairs and so many others on this thread, comments please!

I chickened out of using Osmo Polyx on my doors (I too have oak veneer Suffolk type doors- must be some sort of BuildHub rule!) because I was advised that it could damage the veneer. Went with a water based Ronseal varnish instead, no problems and tbh I think it gives a harder finish than Osmo. I already had a tin of Osmo which I had used on my exposed beams.

Incidentally my doors came from TP, £60+vat each, very happy with them. 

4 minutes ago, Crofter said:

I too have oak veneer Suffolk type doors- must be some sort of BuildHub rule!

Aren’t they just the cheapest posh-looking ones? :D

Thpugh I had a good reason too ... needed my shorter openings to look taller.

• 1 year later...