Veranda

Hi All

I want to build a veranda off the side of my house. However, not sure how best to achieve this - ideally I want it to look built as part of the house, rather than a separate structure that abuts the house - and therefore I m thinking the supporting pillars only want to be on the one side, with the slats either individually connected to the house, or to a horizontal piece running down the side of the house.

Here s some pictures of the house and a veranda I m currently looking at for inspiration (and before anyone thinks about breaking into my house - I have a house sitter looking after the house and dog!).

I m thinking timber construction would look best and also be easiest to build, coloured in the anthracite grey to match the windows and create a contrast against the lighter grey cladding.

4B03944D-75A7-449D-B56F-F0DF995503D7.jpeg

E48FD6C7-BB96-4177-A2C2-6D62E07C9A55.jpeg

B48663D2-6EB7-416A-8C7A-2648B675D320.jpeg

Yes, I have a friend who can produce me it in aluminium and powder coat it. What I m not sure is how to link it with the house - do I run a horizontal box section along the side of th house and have the cross beams/shades linking into this.

Also, any ideas on how to next fix into the cladding. Do I just find one of the battens where the existing cladding fixes to (effectively the timber of the frame)?

12 hours ago, Trw144 said:

Do I just find one of the battens where the existing cladding fixes to (effectively the timber of the frame)?

Is it the timber frame itself? I have racking boards on the outside of my timber frame so the framework the cladding is attached to is less substantial than the structural timber frame.

Does it need to connect at all?

if you connect it you will need to be aware of water splash up. Any item you connect on the outside will make any rain bounce up so you will get a good degree of water staining or an overly damp area just above the connection area, so you would need to add a flashing of some sort even though it’s not really a water tight roof. 

Could you have 4 legs and a gap between the house so you don’t penetrate the outer layer of the house at all. 

5 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Does it need to connect at all?

if you connect it you will need to be aware of water splash up. Any item you connect on the outside will make any rain bounce up so you will get a good degree of water staining or an overly damp area just above the connection area, so you would need to add a flashing of some sort even though it’s not really a water tight roof. 

Could you have 4 legs and a gap between the house so you don’t penetrate the outer layer of the house at all. 

I was thinking freestanding with no attachment to the building. For the legs nearest the building powdercoat or clad the same colour as the walls. Unless the leg is in line with the slider then the same dark colour as the frame. It'll look like it's floating!

7 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Is it the timber frame itself? I have racking boards on the outside of my timber frame so the framework the cladding is attached to is less substantial than the structural timber frame.

I might need to check - it’s only a year or so ago but you ve now made me doubt myself!

7 hours ago, Onoff said:

I was thinking freestanding with no attachment to the building. For the legs nearest the building powdercoat or clad the same colour as the walls. Unless the leg is in line with the slider then the same dark colour as the frame. It'll look like it's floating!

I was thinking it would look best as if it’s part of the building as opposed to a separate construction sat next to it. I probably need to take a look at Pinterest for some inspiration 

• 1 month later...

So, my chippy has been around tonight to measure for this pergola. This brings the next question, can anyone recommend a good exterior paint for wood? Possibly a good protective treatment followed by the final colour (Ral 7016 anthracite grey so that it matches the windows).

Out of interest, I phoned a supplier of Bulstor pergolas today to find out some spec - I asked for a rough quote on a 3 x 4m pergola - the entry level one was £12k!!  

• Confused 1