Washing machine strikes again

ProDave

Remember my thread about the WM bearing?  Well that one is still pending, I have not plucked up the courage to have a go and for a short term "fix" we are using a slower spin speed.

Anyway we have just had a dew days away. Turned off the water in the house before going.

When i got back, the WM was sitting there with it's door open, full of water level with the door opening and a puddle in front of the machine.  The display was flashing "Le"   level?

My thoughts:

This relatively modern machine is all controlled by a micro controller.  I think the software gltched and opened the fill valve.  It was only the contents of the water in the pipe that filled it and just a bit overflowed.  What a good job the water was turned off.

My understanding from what I can see with this machine is the door switch is just another input to the micro controller (unlike older machines where it was a proper interlock switch)

SWMBO is now firmly convinced the machine is "broken" and should be disposed of and no further attempt made to "repair" it.

I believe this is "just the way it is"  I can point to many instances of software controlled consumer items where the software has glitched and strange things happen, (like a tv we have has a habit or turning the sound on, when in standby,)  And this would just as likely happen with a new machine.

I always used to turn off both the water and mains to items like WM's but SWMBO kept telling me I was silly.  Just now does not seem the moment to say "told you so"

Actions as a result of today:

I have to lift that section of floor to see if the air right membrane held the water back, or have I now got a lot of soggy insulation.

The finished floor in the utility and at part of the kitchen needs to be done as a wet room floor for next time this happens.

On ours, the door switch is the same, just an input to the controller, but when our door switch failed I found it was a common fault and the switch was easy to replace.  Worth a look in case the door switch is faulty and is telling the machine the door is closed when it's open - ours failed the other way around, telling the machine the door was open when it was closed.

What I did in our utility room was run the travertine under all the units, and where the washing machine fits I bonded in 50mm x 50mm white PVC angle all around the opening for the washing machine, bonded to the walls and the side of the adjacent unit with neutral cure silicone.  This created a sealed area where the washing machine is so if it leaks    when it leaks the water can't get under the skirting, units etc.

Daewoo. I forget the number. I will probably post it on the white goods forum but don't expect much help.

I haven't checked if the door switch is working, but the machine certainly is it ran a full wash through this evening so it isn't "broken" it's just poor design imho.  Like I say I have known plenty of software driven consumer items to misbehave but no others made the floor wet.

Yes I am not after wet room tanking standards, but something to ensure any puddle that forms stays there until mopped up or it evaporates, and cannot seep into the fabric of the building.

It was a  DWD-G1441S I believe...

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/fault-codes/laundry-fault-codes/3369-generic-daewoo-washing-machine-and-washer-dryer-fault-codes

LE:

Washing machine door opening error

The washing machine or washer dryer door has been detected as open or unlocked.

• Close the door!
  • Check the door lock switch
  • Check the door latch
  • Check PCB

& elsewhere:

Message = LE 
Error = DOOR OPEN ERROR 
Cause & Solution = 
The Start/Hold button is pressed while the door is opened. Close the door. 
The switch door lock is an inferior product. Change the switch door lock. 
The PCB ASS’Y does not check the door lock. Change the PCB ASS’Y. 

Edited by Onoff

Well at least we know the door switch works.

The water pressure would have been pretty close to 0, we turned the water off and then flushed the loo and left.

I don't think the stopcock was letting by as when we got home the loo cistern was still empty. So it was just all the water in the pipes able to drain by gravity. At the moment we don't have a HW tank so I have all the hot and cold pipes temporarily strapped to the cold mains in so there would have been more pipe work to drain down than normal.