Steel staircase

reddal

Hi,

I need to buy a staircase for a barn (there is a mezzanine floor). It needs to be fairly sturdy so I'm thinking steel would be right. The rise is 3m and I'm imagining just a single flight, no turns or anything. Probably fairly wide at about 1m.

Does anyone know a cost effective way to buy something like that? I could get someone local to fabricate it from scratch - but I would have thought there would be a way to buy a kit cheaper. Most of the companies I see online are about fancy expensive staircases for domestic or commercial settings. 

Also what kind of price should I expect to pay?

thanks - reddal

I bought one on ebay - ex school fire escape. £550.  Spent another £500 on steel, wire, gas and spraying.  It took some time but we've ended up with metal stairs for about 1/3 of the quotes I had.  There seems to be plenty of stairs on ebay.  How good is your welding?

14 hours ago, CC45 said:

I bought one on ebay - ex school fire escape. £550.  Spent another £500 on steel, wire, gas and spraying.  It took some time but we've ended up with metal stairs for about 1/3 of the quotes I had.  There seems to be plenty of stairs on ebay.  How good is your welding?

Buying a second hand one would be a good option - but I live on an island in the middle of nowhere so shipping something huge like that would cost a fortune. I think I need a kit that comes on a pallet - or get it fabricated locally. My welding skills are non-existent :(.

Your numbers agree with what I was seeing - something like 2-3k seems to be what it will cost. I guess I have to compromise and look at wooden stairs instead.

A barn? Inside? Has this got to pass a BCO inspection?

I made one for the tree house years ago. This is all that's left. Easy to make a wooden jig for your router:

SAM_5777

SAM_5778

SAM_5779

SAM_5780

SAM_5781

2016-08-28_10-51-57

2016-08-28_10-51-24

Then when it had all half rotted I resurrected it for the youngest and went spiral.

Little spare cash but a vivid imagination me! :)

20160724_192051[1]

20160724_192110[1]

20160724_192201[1]

4 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Thanks - they look good. With a hand rail and 3m height they quote £2100 ex vat - which is one of the best prices I've seen so far.

Hmmm - dilemma - for a fraction of that I could get a timber staircase and paint it in something hard wearing. However in a farm setting its going to take some punishment so steel would be better.

I'd go with the steel kit linked to above. It's hot dipped galvanized and as you're on an island I'd imagine the elements can be fairly strong and the air has a high salt content. A second hand or fabricated stairs would need to be galvanized increasing cost.