Plastering - Beginner's Tips

Onoff

4 milk crates and some battens and job done. You don’t need stilts ...

My plasterer uses one of the aqua crates as a hop up - works really well and he just kicks it about where he needs it. 

• Like 1

+1 to the worn in trowel. 

Im seeing on social media loads of spreads saying that Thistle multi finish has gone to the dogs lately-some manufacturing issue & they’re advising to use board finish instead. 

Or maybe you could use lime finish?

i presume there’s no issue with using it on pb background but check first. 

Think you’d find it’ll be a lot more forgiving & will liven up with a splash of water to let you trowel up in your own time. 

15 hours ago, Onoff said:

Keep up!

"The body drier conveniently heats the bathroom at the same time"..........but surly you have nearly finished in the bathroom if you are drying:P?

I must admit it would come in handy for drying my spray on tan though.

Also do these have a built in extractor as the nice lady in the voice over informs of less moisture in the air compared to towels drying.

1 wet towel drying for a couple of hours = moisture from 1 body

1 body drier drying = moisture from 1 body

Same amount of moisture which ever way you go, surely towel moisture is better as you have the choice to hang it elsewhere or out side:D.

PS. I have terrible ADHD and also slightly autistic so sorry for my grammar and other badly written posts:/

I had never had a go at plastering but decided to do a small bedroom upstairs, the ceiling had artex which made things a bit more complicated.

It all came out great:D but I must admit I recently had a plasterer in for a quote for the downstairs area as more light hits surfaces and is seen more.

@8ball, I picked up the body dryer for a song, unused still in the box. They are discontinued from Triton. Lets's face it, when it goes wrong I'll be left with a damn great hole(s) in the ceiling! The spares that are available are astronomical money. The people I got it from had just completed a plush bathroom and seeming didn't realise it needs a bfo supply etc. It would have meant messing up other rooms to get back to the cu so they just stuck it on Gumtree. I've tested it and it works fine. 

It sits between two joists:

20180219_175925

I'll be in a fireproofed "box" under the ceiling vcl:

2018-03-03_07-53-00

No extractor as such it just sucks up air into one vent, blows it across the heated element and chucks it out the other vent in a downward spiral.

More a bit of fun really.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Onoff said:

They are discontinued from Triton. Lets's face it, when it goes wrong I'll be left with a damn great hole(s) in the ceiling!

Just be prepared to put a nice back lit dropped ceiling feature in. Personally I'd run a spur from your main lighting source so its there for the "oh shit" day :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why not rent some?

Rather handily they normally come with a chap (foc) who also knows how to use them (so saves all of us tax payers nhs costs) and more often than not does the plastering as well.  Result.

Leaving you to admire the quality job - the only thing you need to do is choose the paint.  Sorted.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 8ball said:

I had never had a go at plastering but decided to do a small bedroom upstairs, the ceiling had artex which made things a bit more complicated.

It all came out great:D but I must admit I recently had a plasterer in for a quote for the downstairs area as more light hits surfaces and is seen more.

You need *shoulders and biceps* to be a real plasterererer...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 8ball said:

"The body drier conveniently heats the bathroom at the same time"..........but surly you have nearly finished in the bathroom if you are drying:P?

I must admit it would come in handy for drying my spray on tan though.

Also do these have a built in extractor as the nice lady in the voice over informs of less moisture in the air compared to towels drying.

1 wet towel drying for a couple of hours = moisture from 1 body

1 body drier drying = moisture from 1 body

Same amount of moisture which ever way you go, surely towel moisture is better as you have the choice to hang it elsewhere or out side:D.

PS. I have terrible ADHD and also slightly autistic so sorry for my grammar and other badly written posts:/

Notes that Airobe is an anagram of “I Bare, O !”.

• Haha 1