Stone mason cost

It's been 2 years since a similar question has been asked, so I thought I would start again with a new thread.

I have received a quote with recommendations from the quarry for a 2 guy team willing to travel 100 miles to our job. There price was £120m2 plus I pay digs (not a problem I have a b&b). They hope to do between. 6-8m2 on a 11 hour day. Their work (on social media) is very impressive but I can't help feeling a day rate between 700 & 1000 is a bit high esp they local goin rate for two good builder is half that but obviously local guys won't be doing the same m2 per day. 

The stone is 140mm guilatined sand stone with a pointed finish, quarry is beside Dundee. 

http://www.abmasonry.co.uk/stone-cladding-house-beauly/

The link above is the stone not the stonemasons.

Edited by Alexphd1

If your happy with the price per mtr

It shouldn’t matter what they earn per day

Stone work and Brickwork is a thankless task

They May have days were it’s torrential rain and lay few or nothing

TBF it's £350-500 per worker per day based on an 11 hour day.

Based on a 7 hour day more normal for builders after breaks, it is £230-£330 which seems a lot more what you might expect for a stonemason.

As @nod says you can only compare the per metre costs, after that it is up to them how fast they work. 

• 6 months later...

The link above is to the stone I liked not the masons. Yes I went with the masons and their 1st day was yesterday. TBH work involved and quality of job they are doing I think its pretty good value, apart from they where on site at 7am...... They used to work for the quarry and still sub work from them I would happily recommend them.

I'm terrible with technical terms, but is your walling going to be a sort of patchwork like in some of those pictures, or are you going for varying course heights and fairly standard joints? D you have a blog you'll be putting any pictures on? I'd certainly be interested to take a peek

We are using the same stone but having a 15mm recessed mortar. That picture is a dry effect, you do not see any mortar. The quarry (not importer) is just north of dundee (http://denfindstone.co.uk/). They are very easy to speak to. We are using a 140mm cladding cut stone but will be using down to 40mm at other parts of the job.

Where are you based? 

I will add pictures later.

20181003_073200.jpg

Edited by Alexphd1

• 1 year later...