Fascia and soffit options

Crofter

I'd originally planned to just use some leftover latch cladding for my fascia, and some 5mm ply for the soffit. The fascias were done months ago and the soffit partially done. I'm not all that happy with how it looks though, and I think it's letting the rest of the build down a bit.

I'm wondering about fixing something like aluminium over the fascia, and using the same material for the soffit. This would be color matched to my alu clad windows and steel roof.

I think uPVC might also be an option, but I'm not sure about thickness of the material, and color availability.

Is steel an option? Looks good on the roof...

Cost is going to be the main concern here, as I haven't budgeted for this. It's a small house so I only need a total of 20m. The fascia depth is 200mm and the soffit is about 250mm, from memory.

Before I go to the trouble of getting lots of quotes, it would be good to hear from people who have also considered these options.

I am planning to clad ours in aluminium painted the same RAL colour as the windows.  There have been some previous recommendations of a local company that will bend and paint aluminium to your needs. I think @Stones might be the person, I believe he had custom aluminium cills made.

Our job tomorrow is doing the fascia (slate roof) in aluminum ral 7016 but havent decided on soffit yet. we ended up getting the fascia from kytun but but was  expensive. I think i would find local steel fabrication with a bender and buy the RAL colour steel yourself. Probably be a lot cheaper! send a PM over if you want more info price.

I am planning to phone these guys for a sample of the wood aluminium this week https://www.vulcansystems.co.uk/vulcalap-gallery/ for the soffit.

Edited by Alexphd1

@Crofter I sourced our aluminium cills from     www.mspcladding.co.uk   as our window supplier only had standard sizes available which didn't suit our build.  I have to say they were easy to deal with and their cills were half the price the window supplier wanted.  

I paid between £5.57 and £7.38 per linear metre for 2mm thick / 254mm wide aluminium folded (to my spec) cills.  Longer lengths were cheaper per linear metre than shorter lengths.

There was a minimum painting charge of £130, although I'm not sure how much you would get painted before additional charges kicked in.  In my case I got just over 18 linear metres worth.

Delivery wise, I can't say how much it would cost to get lengths delivered as they came up with my windows.  I'm assuming there is a Skye based haulier that does a run down to the central belt on a regular basis that would be able to quote?

I had them price out a bespoke gutter system and it was half the price of other alu rainwater goods suppliers, but still too much budget wise for me.

I too have larch fascias and at them moment, they don't look as good as the rest of the timber which is weathering nicely.  Time will eventually weather it to match but the transition will take time.  One thing you might want to consider rather than going to the expense of over-cladding with aluminium is giving it a light sand with an orbital sander.  Part of our cladding was flecked with white render primer (caught by the wind) and the only way to remove was a light sand.  The cladding had weathered for a few months prior tot he sanding out of the primer flecks, but the  finish once sanded (still weathered but smoother) was really quite good.

Thanks, some food for thought there.

Due to the way I detailed it (badly, in hindsight) I can't really fit any more than a 5mm soffit board in place. It will however be fully/continuously supported along each edge so I doubt even ply would sag over the 250mm span. Main concern is that I think ply would deteriorate quite quickly.

From what I've gleaned via Google, uPVC is probably not an option as it seems to be 10mm thick boards.

It's not really a priority but if I don't fit something soon the starlings are going to start nesting in the eaves and making a right racket...

On 02/04/2018 at 10:02, Stones said:

@Crofter I sourced our aluminium cills from     www.mspcladding.co.uk   as our window supplier only had standard sizes available which didn't suit our build.  I have to say they were easy to deal with and their cills were half the price the window supplier wanted.  

I paid between £5.57 and £7.38 per linear metre for 2mm thick / 254mm wide aluminium folded (to my spec) cills.  Longer lengths were cheaper per linear metre than shorter lengths.

There was a minimum painting charge of £130, although I'm not sure how much you would get painted before additional charges kicked in.  In my case I got just over 18 linear metres worth.

Delivery wise, I can't say how much it would cost to get lengths delivered as they came up with my windows.  I'm assuming there is a Skye based haulier that does a run down to the central belt on a regular basis that would be able to quote?

I had them price out a bespoke gutter system and it was half the price of other alu rainwater goods suppliers, but still too much budget wise for me.

I too have larch fascias and at them moment, they don't look as good as the rest of the timber which is weathering nicely.  Time will eventually weather it to match but the transition will take time.  One thing you might want to consider rather than going to the expense of over-cladding with aluminium is giving it a light sand with an orbital sander.  Part of our cladding was flecked with white render primer (caught by the wind) and the only way to remove was a light sand.  The cladding had weathered for a few months prior tot he sanding out of the primer flecks, but the  finish once sanded (still weathered but smoother) was really quite good.

Thanks for that link, my cills which have been supplied from window supplier are a fruit up.