Garage construction advice needed

Kgthomas

Hi All,

Looking some advice. I have an 11x8 metre slab foundation laid for a garage / workshop to go on top of. 

I am planning the garage to be the full size of the base with a path laid around it. The garage will be made using steel H section to support the structure. 

I was considering making the walls out of steel cladding. However then I would need to line the internal walls with wood to use them for hanging spanner racks etc on. 

I then was thinking of using block for the walls as my father in law is a retired builder so could help. I am however wondering if there is any other option for the wall construction?

Obviously looking to make this as cheap as possible. 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Cheers Keith 

Welcome.

What's the spec of the slab?

In particular, if using a construction method that is going to put point loads on to areas of the slab around the periphery, like a steel portal frame, are you confident that the slab will take those point loads?

Block walls would spread the load more evenly around the edge of the slab, but it'd still be useful to know the slab specification, just to be sure that the edges are OK for the load that's going to be imposed.

• Thanks 1

How about those factory seconds sip panels, 

i think the thing to ask is what is this building for ?

if just to keep the car in then there is no need to insulate

if it is to be a workshop or man cave then I would want to have a good level of insulation,

i think you need to come to a conclusion on the finished product to then work out how to achieve it. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

How about those factory seconds sip panels, 

i think the thing to ask is what is this building for ?

if just to keep the car in then there is no need to insulate

if it is to be a workshop or man cave then I would want to have a good level of insulation,

i think you need to come to a conclusion on the finished product to then work out how to achieve it. 

It will be mainly for working on my car inside. That said I don’t mind it being too cold or not. If using block I’m thinking of using single block and then in time use insulated external rendering. 

I had thought of using SIP panels. 

The problem I found with single skin block is it’s not structurally strong enough without piers, so you end up with a non flat wall inside, so fitting workbenches or shelves is a pain,

i did build a very nice workshop in single skin, but I used a block made by durox in 180mm wide, nice flat interior walls. 

You could then install insulation later. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

The problem I found with single skin block is it’s not structurally strong enough without piers, so you end up with a non flat wall inside, so fitting workbenches or shelves is a pain,

i did build a very nice workshop in single skin, but I used a block made by durox in 180mm wide, nice flat interior walls. 

You could then install insulation later. 

Yeah that’s why I’m thinking of using the steel H section to form the structure. Then use the single block as a skin. Must look into those durox blocks though. 

2 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

Why not just use standard 6inch block on its side, that's what we done with a 8x6 garage with a room upstairs and 45 degree slate roof.

I was thinking of using 18x4x9” blocks. I can get them for £42 + VAT for 100. Planning on using them on their side so they are 9” high. The largest span of brick will be 4 metre and going to 4 metre high. 

Just trying to make sure that this is the best plan and I’m not missing something simple. 

The problem with using the blocks as an infil if not for the structural part is they don’t bring anything to the party,

hardly any insulation value

not waterproof, so you will still need to render the outside

very little resistance to sound penetration

why not timberframe just like a house, and block outer skin for security, insulation in the timber frame and OSB inner skin for racking and a good finish to hang tools and put up shelves. 

Raised tie trusses for roof so a little bit of storage, but also good headroom if working with timber. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

If you are keen on a timber frame why not just put on a low mantaince cladding direct on to thw timber frame. Saves putting up block work and finishing it of. 

Yeah that is an idea. Just need to find a low maintenance cladding which looks good too. 

11x8 is a big slab - even with a 30 degree roof and 2.4m walls you are talking a 4.7m ridge which is surely going to need planning permission ..??

That will dictate the materials and finish in reality. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

11x8 is a big slab - even with a 30 degree roof and 2.4m walls you are talking a 4.7m ridge which is surely going to need planning permission ..??

That will dictate the materials and finish in reality. 

Because I intend to use a steel sheet roof I can get away with a more shallow roof. If i

go with 3 metre high walls then have the ridge at 4 metre I will have a 14 degree roof. I can lower the height of the walls to increase the slope. 

If I stay below 4 metre at the ridge I don’t need planning permission. 

22 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You also need to keep walls below 2.5m too don’t you ..? I take it the plan is to maximize your PD rights..?

I will double check that but as far as I can remember I can go to 3m providing it’s more than 2.5m from a boundary. 

The plan is to maximise the space within the garage. I’m trying to leave it so in future if I want I can put in a car lift. 

37 minutes ago, Kgthomas said:

I will double check that but as far as I can remember I can go to 3m providing it’s more than 2.5m from a boundary. 

The plan is to maximise the space within the garage. I’m trying to leave it so in future if I want I can put in a car lift. 

The PD guidance is here, and worth a read:  https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/miniguides/outbuildings/Outbuildings.pdf

Worth bearing in mind that if it's over 30m2 in floor area build regs will apply, and that may impact some of your design and construction decisions.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The PD guidance is here, and worth a read:  https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/miniguides/outbuildings/Outbuildings.pdf

Worth bearing in mind that if it's over 30m2 in floor area build regs will apply, and that may impact some of your design and construction decisions.

Thanks for the link I meant to say I live in Northern Ireland so we have different planning rules I think. Probably very similar. This is the link to our planning https://www.planningni.gov.uk/index/advice/advice_apply/advice_apply_homes/advice-householders-guide.pdf

i would need to check about building regs. I think the main thing which will decide if building regs apply or not is if it is a permanent or a removable structure. So if I bolt it down then it is not classed as permanent. Again I need to check that out. 

Edited by Kgthomas