My parents are  considering self building an extension to their house with a view to selling it and down sizing. We are trying to work through the CIL aspect. Even the planning consultant is unsure exactly how this system works. Its clear there is a formal process to be adhered to but I'm thinking we should involve a professional to make sure its right. The CIL due is significant and will determine if the project is viable or not.

Thanks in advance.

Have been some good recent threads on cil.

Not all councils charge it, so check first.

100 sq meters extension is exempt as is homeowner extension

Also look here

Edited by Jml

3 minutes ago, albert said:

OK great I did try and search but no whiz on computer. Thanks

No problem. Any questions just ask, site is great at responding, even answers my most stupid questions.  

Just as an aside would be bit worried if planning consultant did not understand cil, others may say not his field to do so but...

If you google the name of the council covering your parents' area and add CIL, it should bring up a whole load of stuff direct from the council itself.  Another easy way to check is to look at other planning permissions and see if a CIL has been imposed on them - it will say on the planning permission if this is the case.  It's always interesting to have a snoop around other planning permissions in the area, as well, to see the kind of thing that gets granted and what is refused.

If it's not exempt you will have to pay it.

If it is exempt as a self build extension then it's essential you follow the procedure on the exemption form. It actually says on the form that if you don't do xyz before starting work then you become liable for the full CIL.

Down load the exemption form, read and highlight the things you need to do before starting. It's not very complicated.

Thanks 

They  are in  a CIL area and submitted the forms with the application.  I have all the details but this point form my consultant has confused me somewhat.

"From my understanding of CIL is that an extension over 100 sq m attracts CIL.  However a freehold owner who occupies the dwelling as their main residence can apply for an exemption (this must be done before any works start).  I understand that the potential liability for CIL can be passed to any new owner (following completion of the correct forms).  I assume that a new owner could apply for the exemption if the work hadn’t started.  If the work starts before a sale, under an exemption applied for by the current owners, then from what I gather from the guidance notes on CIL (attached) this doesn’t result in a disqualifying event from exemption as long as the whole dwelling is sold as one.

I would strongly suggest speaking to the Council regarding queries on CIL, as it is still a relatively new process, "

I will do some further reading.

Thanks again.

On 01/04/2018 at 17:00, albert said:

From my understanding of CIL is that an extension over 100 sq m attracts CIL.  However a freehold owner who occupies the dwelling as their main residence can apply for an exemption (this must be done before any works start).

That's usually what happens if an owner extends their own house.

I understand that the potential liability for CIL can be passed to any new owner (following completion of the correct forms).  I assume that a new owner could apply for the exemption if the work hadn’t started.  If the work starts before a sale, under an exemption applied for by the current owners, then from what I gather from the guidance notes on CIL (attached) this doesn’t result in a disqualifying event from exemption as long as the whole dwelling is sold as one.

I think that's an option if a builder buys a house, extends it, and resells it? I doubt it happens very often as all it does is delay payment of the cil and potentially complicate the sale. I suspect most builders just pay the cil or do smaller extensions to avoid it. 

It's also what happens if someone buys a house with pp for an extension that hasn't been started yet. They can decide if they want to build the extension or not. If they don't build the approved extension they don't pay the cil. If they do build it they can apply for the exemption before they start. 

Edited by Temp