Main bathroom finished

2 hours ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Hi @Ferdinand

Where did you go to look at yours?

I see you are in Notts.

We are just south of Melton Mowbray so probably not too far away.

I guessed the colour after taking advice here and from a bathroom I already have. :D If you read my other thread. did not see that they were a distinct national product until quite late.

But City Plumbing Supplies of Pate Street, Melton, are a showroom listed on the brand website, amongst others:

http://www.multipanel.co.uk/where-to-buy/find-a-distributor/?Location=Le13+1ae&Type=&Range=&Product=&Latitude=52.7637292&Longitude=-0.8852222999999999&SecurityID=59e1131f80126c1f8b481abb6c20869466a4e855

I looked at the concept of panels in a bathroom in a conversion done by an architect for us back in 2010, then asked on ebuild or here about brands. @JSHarris answered lots of questions, then I guessed the pattern and it worked Ok. Very much a landlord decision .. 20+ year lifetime and attractive to get and keep the best tenants, but as inexpensive as possible and no skimping on quality, not white to not show marks, a pattern to hide marks. Would have gone with the aqua lock but I had prevaricated and did not have time to wait so went with the alu. profiles. Bought an extra panel to tip over into free delivery as I know I would be doing several. Ts love them as they are easy to look after.

I was planning Blue Eiger, which looked to have flatter tones, until the last minute, then decided to switch when I was actually ordering. I went and checked my existing bathroom and the pattern is contrasty splatters but that works too.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

21 minutes ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

I'll check them out. Thanks.

I like the idea of this as no grouting to discolour.

And they're comparatively lightweight so you haven't got to worry about whether you've secured your battens to the wall really well and whether they'll support the hundreds of kilos of tiles you've bought! :ph34r:

47 minutes ago, Onoff said:

And they're comparatively lightweight so you haven't got to worry about whether you've secured your battens to the wall really well and whether they'll support the hundreds of kilos of tiles you've bought! :ph34r:

Are you saying this from experience?

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

The core of the panels I used is ply.  I have an offcut, with raw untreated cut edges, currently immersed in a bucket of water to see how it behaves.

In practice the core should not ever get wet. I too chose not to use their hideously designed bottom joint edges, having been bitten before by using a tile to bath trim that was a disaster.

It looks really great.  If you didn't use the bottom joint edges then what did you use?

18 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

It looks really great.  If you didn't use the bottom joint edges then what did you use?

It is sealed 3 times in effect.

Firstly the tanking menbrane and tape laps up the wall. Tiles laid, and any gap between tiles and wall filled with grout. So that is already waterproof. The tanking tape goes about 3" up the wall.

When the panels are fitted I kept the panels a couple of mm above the tiles (with a temporary spacer) and filled the gap full with stixall making sure it was flush with the front of the panel not sticking out. This is probably the most important detail to get right.

When that was dry a decorative bead of white silicone using "corner tape" to get clean straight edges  finishes it off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/03/2018 at 21:26, Ferdinand said:

I have a shower room done throughout with these panels in a rental back in 2010, and they are pristine still.

Ferdinand

Ooops.

That should have said I have a shower room which was done out in panels in 2010, and is still pristine.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

11 hours ago, ProDave said:

It is sealed 3 times in effect

Yep. Various variations on that have been used by others.

These panels go in for (hopefully) keeps, so it is thoroughness, what is known to work, and detail detail detail detail detail.

F