Main bathroom finished

I only really started just after Christmas and today I finished it. A little quicker that another famous forum member.

bathroom_7.thumb.jpg.4efe93eb6d9e73e2756b2f4e37c12ac2.jpg

bathroom_8.thumb.jpg.bf7c9a82c84a1d70bcad18a766e2f744.jpg

bathroom_9.thumb.jpg.9f77b57373be6d7dbcb621b0feaeb97c.jpg

Strictly speaking it's not completely finished as I have not found the right glass screen to go between the shower and the bath.

More pictures on my blog at http://www.willowburn.net/ look for the entry "main bathroom complete"

• Like 7

At £100 per sheet, I did not trust my ability to measure, mark and cut out a sheet and hope to get it right. So I cut cardboard templates first to get it right, then used that to mark the final sheet, remembering to cut from behind.

bathroom_5.thumb.jpg.d23b22473ec264277e306ff37128f581.jpg

Great idea, thanks for the tip.

Can I ask what height your flat ceiling in the shower is, the width of the cardboard and the height of the cardboard on the left?

Also the pitch of your roof?

Sorry to be so nosy but I have an area adjacent to the bathroom that was going to be a cupboard accessed from the other side.

I am now thinking it could be a walk in shower and include it in the bathroom.

It is so difficult to tell if it is big enough when it is just stud timbers.

The room is 2.4 metres to the flat ceiling. The wet wall panels come as 1.2 by 2.4 metre sheets. Of course with the tiles laid on the floor, the height is a shade under 2.4 metres now so it bit had to be trimmed from each panel.

Roof is 45 degree pitch, the "standard" for these parts, but to be honest I like 45 degrees, everything is just so much easier to mark out.

That cardboard template is a shade under 1.2 metres wide (to allow for the corner profile to join 2 sheets) and the height at it's left hand side is 1.8 metres

There is a large conversation somewhere about these panels.

Two key items are the core material being marine ply or MDF, and the joints between the panels .. if they have joints that do not need a trim it saves quite a lot of money.

Ferdinand

Not sure what @ProDave used, but we used ABB Multipanel, and found it to be excellent.  I fitted it around 8 years ago to our old bathroom and it still looks like new.  It has a ply core, watertight click together joints and it's only failing is the very poor bottom sealing trim, which is frankly so bad that I'd never use it, but use one of the other methods pictured on other posts here.

On 30/03/2018 at 14:15, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Really smart Dave.

I like the panels.

We have a sloping roof line because our house is chalet style.

I thought it would be a pain cutting a lot of tiles at an angle.

I will investigate panels.

There are two threads which cover much detail including pics here. read both threads.

and here

Note that ABB are a distributor not the manufacturer, who are Grant Westfield as described on my thread linked above.

The cheapest source I found were Big Kitchen Warehouse, who do free delivery with an order over £750. My 8 ft x 7 ft bathroom used enough panels that I only needed one extra for stock to get the free delivery.

http://www.thebigkitchenwarehouse.co.uk/ourshop/cat_975511-Multi-Panel-Wall-Ceiling-Panels.html

BKW were about 15-20% cheaper than ABB for my order.

My trims were the correct ones but came from elsewhere. Prices are quite variable.

If you go for the ones with aqua lock trimless joints there will be a lead time of a couple of weeks, but it will save you £15 to £20 per straight joint and look very swanky. You will need trims for corner joints. High quality sealant is also important.

It is also quite variable on price depending on the design, and you can even get them done with a wall size enlargement of a photo you send in. Those are several hundred though spectacular.

I have a shower room done throughout with these panels in a rental back in 2010, and they are pristine still.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Ours are the Grant Westfield Multi Panel boards, but the ones with just a square edge and you join them with an extruded aluminium profile.

There was only one straight in line joint, so it seemed pointless buying the more expensive click together version with a hidden joint.

We got them from Jewsons.

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

Ours are the Grant Westfield Multi Panel boards, but the ones with just a square edge and you join them with an extruded aluminium profile.

There was only one straight in line joint, so it seemed pointless buying the more expensive click together version with a hidden joint.

We got them from Jewsons.

@Moira Niedzwiecka  Checking through the prices as they are now, there seems to be little difference between hydro lock vs straight joints, except that

1 - Hydrolock may have a short delay as they may be made to order (my stockist did, others might not).

2 - Hydrolock have a Machining charge, which now appears to be as near as dammit the same as the cost of a straight joint profile.

3 -  Suspect the Hydrolock are less work to fit ... one joint not 2 sides of a profile.

4 - Different look. I have one of each and I prefer the Hydrolock smooth look 

You pays your money and...

It is worth a note that the things on the wall look .. to my eye .. to be better than the piccies on the net, and the textures less spiky. So do not necessarily choose patterns for the way it looks in a small pic ... go and look.

I am standardised on I think Classic Marble now, as it is attractive, in the lowest Classic price range (next range up is plus £20 or so per panel) and I judge it likely to stay in the range for spares and bulk orders etc. From my supplier above the Classic panels are priced at £125 per 8x4, plus about £11 for the joint or alu strip. Think that includes VAT, but reckon another 20-30% for joints, edgings, and adhesive etc. 

@ProDave were they actually £100 or is that ex VAT? I really looked and the prices seemed quite uniform and within about 10% or so.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, newhome said:

Nice flush plate :D. And you may well need to close the lid ;)  

All looks great! Does this mean luxury bathing now or are you still reliant on the caravan? 

I think the flush plate is grossly over sized, but I also think the devious women folk chose it because you have to shut the lid just to reach the buttons.

No it's not in use yet. No hot water tank yet (next big purchase) so only a cold bath or shower available at the moment.

The panels were £104 plus VAT (which we will get back later) from Jewsons. They have a stack of samples so you can see the colours as they really are before ordering.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Surely if you don't flush there's no need to put the seat down? :ph34r:

Don’t say you remember the rhyme from the school playground!

“If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown flush it down” :D

But more practically, how do you know if it’s flushed ‘cleanly’ if the lid is already down? :S

17 minutes ago, newhome said:

But more practically, how do you know if it’s flushed ‘cleanly’ if the lid is already down? :S

Soft close lid. Start it on it's way downward, push the button and you have a couple of seconds to look.

I did helpfully suggest that the flush plate did not have to go in the vanity unit, it could have gone on the wall above the vanity unit where it would not be obscured and would be so much easier to use.  I got voted down 2:1

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, newhome said:

Don’t say you remember the rhyme from the school playground!

“If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown flush it down” :D

I always put the lid down before I flush tbh. Read somewhere that "germs" will waft about 6' from the loo in all directions when you flush. Not good in a small bathroom. Also that they'll go through 10 layers of loo roll...

I choose to believe! :)

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I did helpfully suggest that the flush plate did not have to go in the vanity unit, it could have gone on the wall above the vanity unit where it would not be obscured and would be so much easier to use.  I got voted down 2:1

I’m with the girls. The aesthetics wouldn’t be right if it was on the wall ;)

18 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

There is a large conversation somewhere about these panels.

Two key items are the core material being marine ply or MDF, and the joints between the panels .. if they have joints that do not need a trim it saves quite a lot of money.

Ferdinand

The core of the panels I used is ply.  I have an offcut, with raw untreated cut edges, currently immersed in a bucket of water to see how it behaves.

In practice the core should not ever get wet. I too chose not to use their hideously designed bottom joint edges, having been bitten before by using a tile to bath trim that was a disaster.