Portaloo Massacre: no unreasonable offer refused

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Well @Dreadnaught here's what you need, I imagine. You can find it just off Junction 33 on the M6 (North). I'm sure the owners don't want it any more. It's been there for a week. I took the photo while standing  up-wind.

20180329_113306.thumb.jpg.86d6c925c1e2d0102c0fbdab74eca611.jpg

Can we try, just for me, try, and keep subsequent posts clean, eh? Please?

If there was a post of the Week Ian

You would have nailed this weeks

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Don't tell me, it "fell off the back of a lorry" you know nobody believes that.

It almost certainly did fall of the back of the lorry.  Look at the damage.

The sparks from the fall together with the  methane must have caused a flash in the pan : see the  fire damage.  That was in turn put  out by the contents.

No wonder there is no need for a fire extinguisher in a portaloo.

22 hours ago, Brickie said:

Takes me back to my Glastonbury days & some very strong...

Back in 1971 I went to a festival at Weeley, near Clacton, where the facilities were just a long deep trench, with scaffold arranged over it.  One perched on a horizontal scaffold pole and held tightly to the vertical poles, trying desperately not to fall backwards into the trench.

I found this website a while ago: http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/weeley-festival.html , and after a lot of careful looking though the photos found one that has me in it, not that it's easy to recognise me, as I had the obligatory shoulder length hair and no beard back then.

• Like 2

Just found some old photos of the "facilities" at the festival mentioned above.  They don't show the scaffolding over the deep trench, though, just the delicately screened entrances:

weeley-guys-bogs.jpg

weeley-chicks-bogs.jpg

You can just make out some of the vertical scaff poles, the "seat" was a horizontal scaff pole that you perched over, holding on to the nearest vertical pole like grim death.  I can't recall there being any hand washing facilities or even bog paper.  Looking back on it now it seems pretty grim, but I can't remember being bothered by it at the time,  Then again I can't remember a lot about that festival, like most I was pretty put of it much of the time.

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

^^ looking at those pictures,  the woods in the background look more appealing.

The woods were full of people who had got there early and were camping.  There was a cornfield next to the arena, and many used that instead of the official arrangements.  I remember the field well, as on the afternoon that Quintessance were playing, I wandered off there for a pee, and came across a girl called Poppy.  I would guess we were both "under the influence of pharmaceutical products", as I remember her wandering over to me, smiling, and suggesting that we explore "horizontal metaphysics".

It was probably the second most amazing thing about the festival, with Barclay James Harvest, complete with a full classical orchestra on stage, playing at sunset being the most absolutely amazing experience.  I still have their album I bought as soon as I got back from Weeley.

I never saw Poppy again, and have no recollection of us talking at all.  We just wandered off, smiling at each other, afterwards, in search of the next amazing experience.

• Like 2