Brick Shed Coversion - Advice needed please

Pjbrandon

Hi all,

I recently promised the daughter I’d build her a playhouse for the garden.....I then realised I had a brick outbuilding / Shed in the garden that just stores crap.

Its a single skin yellow / sandstone brick?

built on a concrete base, the front is timber framed and some type of cladding.

I want to convert this into a nice looking playhouse.

My thoughts are to frame the inside and ship lap clad to cover the walls and also clad the external walls.

one internal wall to be ply lined and painted with chalk board paint as a feature wall she can draw on etc,

Am I safe to do this without any risk of damp / rot etc?

anythng to consider when framing and cladding, such as dpm / vapour barrier / insulation?

literally will just be a playhouse for the kid to use, I see full timber playhouses cost hundreds so I might as well use what I’ve got and tart it up.

i just don’t want to do it and find out it can’t breathe, moisture is trapped etc.

The Mrs says I over complicate things as it’s just “a shed” and everyone has them ?

So so my plan was studwork frame each internal wall fixed to brick, clad 2 internal walls with shiplap, board one with ply, front wall to be a timber frame and clad.

2 external walls to be battened out and clad.

2 external walls are not accessible / visible so will stay just brick.

thanks in advance I look forward to everyone’s advice.

Let's be honest kids are happy in a big cardboard box and don't feel the cold like we do. Have you been watching Dengineers? :)

Whatever you do, do it quick. I had grand plans for my nearly teenage daughter and never finished it. Spent a bloddy fortune on it too! Will probably rip it down soon.

20170617_190808

However, if like me you like to get out of the house then go for it!

Play houses are on a different scale to normal buildings. They are sized for kids, windows are lower, doors smaller and have slides etc. Prices rang from £250-400. I suspect it might cost that to properly convert and damp proof your existing building.

I think ship lap boarding is at least £12 per square meter. You didn't say how big it is but say it's  3 x 3 x 2.4 high then each wall is 7.2sqm. Four outside walls come to 28-29 sqm or £336. Double if you do the inside as well.

Edited by Temp

In 6 months time she will discover WhatsApp and boys, then she will wonder why Dad spent 6 months building her a house for little girls. Two years from now she will ask "Dad could you convert the old playhouse in the garden into a band practice club house, you know something like the awesome garage we used to have".

3 hours ago, Pjbrandon said:

My thoughts are to frame the inside and ship lap clad to cover the walls and also clad the external walls.

I'd use cheap roofing batten screwed straight to the inside walls of whatever you've got at 400 or 600 centres. (it's treated against damp). Sheets of OSB screwed to that. Do same with floor. This allows some air circulation for any moisture to come away.

Ok cool some things to think about.

i need to do it soon as you say she’s growing up too quick.

the building is approx 2.4 x 3.0

roof is about 1.9 pitching down to 1.8

a good size really and store of all stuff crap at th mo.

ps I will get rid of the chopped down tree branches ?

1E676CB6-670D-4AB6-AC63-E9962FBF7A0C.jpeg

683DD99D-93E8-43C1-828B-0DB163C817F5.jpeg

83DF8B28-EF6F-43FB-B835-59ED3CD398FB.jpeg

CACAAB04-247E-42A5-9C0D-F06D8AD930D8.jpeg

I built my little kids a brick playhouse, used bricks left over from the garage, spare UPVC window, left over tiles from the roof even a false chimney pot, They never used it, it just got used to store garden junk. ?

20 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

In 6 months time she will discover WhatsApp and boys, then she will wonder why Dad spent 6 months building her a house for little girls. Two years from now she will ask "Dad could you convert the old playhouse in the garden into a band practice club house, you know something like the awesome garage we used to have".

I’m safe there I’ve got a 22ft x 14ft garage that is also used for a crap store so could always turn that into a full on studio. ?

• 2 weeks later...