Shed or Storage Container

Thedreamer

I looked at one.  It would take 10 seconds with a pair of big scissors to cut through the steel sheeting.  At a guess I'd say that the thickest stuff might have been around 18g, much is 20 or even 22g.  it's about the same as cutting through a tin can.

Don't even think of it for site security for tools etc, as it would be pretty useless.  I bought a smaller, near-identical, 8 x 4 steel shed and that's much the same, so I beefed it up by lining it with ply to make it secure enough to store garden tools.

We had one. Was used for shelter / storage but not secure storage (wasn’t ever even locked ;)). It was a bit like Meccano putting it together but it wasn’t too bad until one particularly bad storm here (even for these parts) of the type that if you weren’t holding onto something you literally blew over. The whole thing ripped away like a sardine can (the bottom part was still attached to the base) and ended up like this! Get a proper storage container! 

BA1EC852-4496-46B1-B881-D978A175693D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Thedreamer said:

Yes... that photo has put me off this idea

Believe me - there weren't no dreaming going on that night (it happened at 3am) - it was the stuff of nightmares! 

There's a Yardmaster at the end of my Dad's garden that we built- with no battery tools, slowly- thirty five years ago. Still in near-perfect condition and rock-solid.

Conversely, I put up one of the cheap Canadian Arrow steel sheds that Argos sell six or seven years back and I'd say in another year the roof will be porous. Absolute rubbish in comparison.

We've got a Yardmaster 10' x 12' had it for around ten years. Still solid but I wouldn't have a metal shed again. Condensation meant I had to line the roof with polystyrene and after a while the seals around the screws break up and then the rain weeps in.

This is one of the reasons I built my own shed.  Where else will you get a garden shed built with a frame of 4 by 2 timbers, and a diagonal brace?  Mose shop bought sheds have barely a 1 and a half inch frame,  and the only thing giving any bracing is the nails in the planks. 

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not for secure storage I hope :/. The scrotes will be in there in minutes. 

The answer to that (at least I have found from my tiny plastic tool storage shed) is to leave nothing but crap in it for the first few months.  Secure it with something that won't damage the container when it is removed wrongly.  Find it open once or twice a week for a month or so.  Then another couple of times over the next 6 months, you could then leave the crown jewels in there.  (Admittedly it's not big enough to store more than a few basic garden tools and bird feed) But, after the first 6 months, it hasn't been touched for about 6 years or more now.  :ph34r:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1