Framing nailers

bissoejosh

Our frame is ordered and I still need a nail gun or two - recommendations would be great. Paslode 350/360 seems the obvious choice and should sell easily when finished but If I'm missing other options please say!

Should I be considering air guns and a compressor set up as it'll only be used on one site so less of an issue with mobility etc?

Thanks

Edited by bissoejosh

I have both air and gas. 

Air gun is absolutely fool proof and unbreakable, but you need a compressor to run it, it will also be attached to the air hose so it is more cumbersome if you are climbing about on trusses with it, if using it for multiple nailing it wil go on and on and on until you have to put it down as it got to heavy. If you drop it from the roof just run down and get it and carry on. 

paslode is lovely, but you have to buy gas for it, mine loves to misfire just as you are in the most awkward position, doesn’t like being dropped off the scaffold, temperamental in the cold, keep a gas in your pocket. 

My no nonsense bit, if you have arms like cocktail sticks, just use a hammer. They are all heavy. 

ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. 

• Like 1

I bought a dewalt as I have the batteries already. Was a bit nervous as all the guys on site use pasilode. However it works just as well.  No gas needed.  Fires same nails as pasilode so works out cheaper in long run. Was going to sell but will keep it as it is so so useful 

Edited by dogman

I have the paslode ones, first and second fix and they are great, yes the gas can be a problem in the cold but I put the gas canister in my cup of tea or coffee and it warms it up nicely? no probs!

52 minutes ago, bissoejosh said:

Any particular brands of air gun to be looking at? I don't mind having a compressor on site and it means I can add other tools pretty cheaply, fool proof is good!

Noted about the glasses.

It's a very handy setup to keep for good. 

I went from air to gas and I'm not really that impressed. My trusty Ace & K framing nailer was like an Uzi 9mm. It would NEVER miss a shot and boy could it send some nails home in a hurry. Would fire as quick as you could move your trigger finger. 

When I finally do the bloody man-shed it'll be done with a new compressor and a nice new set of air nailers. I'll keep the gas nailers as I'll struggle to get good money back probably, but the air stuff is so cheap I'll not have to worry about creating funds.

I can try that coil nailer I bought 2 years ago for sarking the shed......neck and neck with @Onoffs bathroom my bloody shed is. Ring beam with weeds at mo -_- 

Mixed responses! Electric is going to be costly as I'm not on dewalt batteries so I think that probably writes it off. I'm sure it's the way all the brands will go though - just a shame Milwaukee don't do a 90mm nailer at the moment.

I'm curious to find out more about air so that can be tonight's research with a bottle of something cold...

I’ve two hitachi From tool monkey

£210 

They Do Just the same job as the pasloda Usd the same gas and nails as pasloda Half the price

Though I must confess I only see Pasloda onsite 

Bought a used paslode 350 when doing the attic, runs well on cheapo ebay gas and Hitachi plain nails, Recently tripped over a Dewalt second-fix gun (for the old batteries, matches the rest of my stuff) seems OK so far.

I had the loan of a Hitachi gas nailer for my frame, only gripe with it was the usual problem of it not liking cold weather.  I later bought a cheap 2nd hand Clarke coil nailer and a compressor, this did all my sheathing, sarking, and cladding. £50 well spent. Picked up a DeWalt framing nailer which has been fine. I don't find the airline to be much bother, but I do have a small site and can just put the compressor in the middle of the house. Someone on here bought a Silverline framing nailer for under £100 brand new, and seemed pretty happy with it.

I have both types of nail gun (as I need for my work) I would surgest Paslode if you want to resell after the other makes are not regarded so well in the trade.

Have a gun that will take the cheaper makes of nailes, when useing the nails always keep them dry especially the cheaper ones. If they get damp you can get 2 nails fired at once and jam the gun. As the paper and glue holding them gets soft.

Buy a new one and that way you know it will work and you can learn how to maintain it very important and not difficult to do. I find that when nailing up side down they need  cleaning more offten (quick clean in side takes about 10 minutes on a clean beanch).

During the cold weather I keep it in the house day before needed, and if necessary with a hot water bottle in an old duvet when not being used.

I find the gas type better when framing as there is no cable/pipe  atached as one is offten changing sides and posotions whch would get the pipe tangled up.

For finishing nailer I have Dewalt battery  and air nailer they have diferant uses for me. The nails for the air nailer are cheaper and I find better when useing all day. The Dewalt if I only have a couple of mouldings to do.

There are now alot of types of nails out there which were not so easy to get a few years ago do your research. 

PS. I love tools.

• Like 1

A bit of browsing presents this new Hitachi NR90GC2for £287.99 from a couple of places.

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=77497&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1J6bur2K2gIVTrXtCh3-pAPqEAYYASABEgKMZfD_BwE

https://www.mytoolshed.co.uk/hitachi-nr90gc2-gas-clipped-head-strip-framing-nailer.html

Assuming a compressor is say £100 and an air nailer the best part of £150+ it looks like reasonable value If I want to avoid an air line. I know it won't resell like a paslode (around £520 new) but at this price it might not have to.

Reviews seem decent enough and I'm tempted unless people say otherwise?

• Like 1

Another 2p opinon from a tight (£) scotsman. 

my vote goes for the dewalt (new style), does everything my mates paslode does and more in the cold. Hold value V well. I picked up a new naked (no batttery) for approx £ 185 plus vat.  We have used a lot of nails, from sarking to putting together the roof on site and saving £9 for each box adds up! just bought another 5 boxes of firmahold from TCO. 

• 2 weeks later...