Energy efficient laundry

daiking

So reading through this topic, I didn't see any mention of gas tumble dryers!

About 17 years ago, my wife was fed up of the condensing washer/dryer we had - it was less than useless at drying.

Working at the local GP surgery, patients often contributed to reading matter in the waiting room where she spied a Which comparison of tumble dryers.

Not slow at being forward, she grabbed the magazine for a spot of lunchtime reading.

"Darling" she said (I always know what's coming next, and it involves me spending money. Not that I'm tight just that I was always taught to be cautious ?)

"I was reading this article about tumble dryers and they now have one that works on gas!" - "Really says I" well that was it, curiosity got the better of me and I had to know more.

Turns out it was made by a company called "White Knight" and it was A+,  well as you can imagine that got my attention and you guessed it we got one.

Having it plumbed in by my then Corgi pal, we fired it up and the results were amazing. Beautifully fluffy towels drying in super quick time typically 45 or less minutes and running it on Economy 10 we put it on between 1pm and 4pm or 8pm and 10pm for ultra low cost off-peak electric costs and very good gas costs too.

Over the years I recon it must have saved me a significant wedge and I certainly got my money's worth.

That was in March of 2000. Here we are in June 2018 and I am on my 2nd one, the 1st failing from a bearing problem.

I did call out the local repair man but he said "sorry mate I cant touch it I'm not Gas safe"

Looking online again, I saw they were only <£300 so I ordered another.

This was an upgraded model to the previous one with reverse action too, still A+ a winner!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14ylgLdkWFm6JjIpHf_ixUD28nDIaUfkq

For those of you with ASHP's, I would recommend having the exhaust blow out into the external fan unit to increase the temperature and subsequent CoP.

Equally with a bit of ingenuity the exhaust heat might be used for something else?

Just for interest, I hooked up my Hopi meter to the unit to measure what it draws electrically.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1znDd-Y-wLfy_-p1K1BbInqM5qj6620LL

0.76amp - 160w - power factor 0.88.

Enjoy.

KR - AndyT.

Edited by AndyT

Slightly off topic but my sister in law got a gas fridge way back in the 70's.  I can remember being totally gobsmacked - surely only electricity can keep things cold (was my then view)