Had the 1st spray render guy out today for a quote. Our house is ICF on a 450mm high passive slab with the DPM coming out between the raft and ICF. I was originaly hoping to have the render all the way down to the ground level, but the render guy told me I needed a bead with DPM coming out. With a stop bead and render both sides it doesnt look good which i agree. He suggested brick slip or painted for the DPM down.  Has anybody used anything else for ideas?

@Alexphd1 what does your house look like? Where we are that area is often some kind of reconstituted stone, you could probably get sandstone slips or maybe granite as you are in Aberdeen.

When I was looking to build in ICF I couldn't get my head around how this kind of detailing was done though. I was wary about just sticking it to the EPS.

I found this on the net, but can't quite see what material they have used. I think this may just be painted.

http://www.stewarthenderson.co.uk/images/gallery/icf/260.jpg

1 hour ago, Alexphd1 said:

Had the 1st spray render guy out today for a quote. Our house is ICF on a 450mm high passive slab with the DPM coming out between the raft and ICF. I was originaly hoping to have the render all the way down to the ground level, but the render guy told me I needed a bead with DPM coming out. With a stop bead and render both sides it doesnt look good which i agree. He suggested brick slip or painted for the DPM down.  Has anybody used anything else for ideas?

The Quik answer is You can have the render right down 

I normally trim the dpc flush with the slab set a laser line along the dpc then stick a movement joint bead on top of the dpc 

In effect your leaving a 15 mil void around the hidden dpc

You can normally match the movement bead to your render colour 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alexphd1 said:

did you post pictures of this? i remember seeing this, i have been searching for these photos. I would be grateful if you could post them again. We could do this metal work ourselves.

I did but can’t find the post or those pics in my unsorted phot stream.  Here are couple that show it but were taken to show other things so a bit sideways on.  I can take some better ones on site tomorrow if useful.4C87371C-5120-4C1A-BAC6-CB2E09D5BD13.thumb.jpeg.6b0105c02cf2062d3deb4a1baa4a9a5c.jpeg

5321AADA-F72F-40F6-8E7B-30A65A819BBE.jpeg

26093D0E-3AA0-41BF-88D4-AEAC546AD665.jpeg

• Like 1

@AliG the picture you found is from the builder I used.

Silicone render finished down to a bead, below the bead has been rendered with two coats of the base render then painted (or at least, that's how mine was finished). 

@Alexphd1 I'll try and post some close up pictures tomorrow for you.

• Like 2

@Alexphd1 took some pics this morning

we have a layer of geotex fixed round our eps to protect it then the aluminium on top. Aliminium is foamed/screwed to eps around slab and house timber frame. 

It extends a short way up under the render board and cladding to make sure there is no problem with water getting in. If you want a more technical explanation I can ask my superstar carpenter (he fitted it). It works really well and looks smart..... well it will do when we get all the muck off!

3D6FD503-BB4F-48D1-AF70-E6F48E314336.jpeg

15C8F8BA-4A7B-4701-AC0F-F271DB8E71A4.jpeg

F2F7A634-903A-414B-BE90-CFBEB90472E2.jpeg

D7F85BBD-6293-4A0A-8B19-256836589EF6.jpeg

6BF8A689-AF19-44B3-BA22-2F21B8A2DDC3.jpeg

0F02DE0F-4F65-4BC8-8D97-D5C694C88387.jpeg

• Like 1