Nice job James, i am also normally a Solo builder and I love it, however we do have a volunteer program and have people from all over the world popping in from 2 weeks to six months to help on all aspects of the project, it’s great to have a enthusiastic youngsters to keep you going on a dull day or to help bowl out the big monotonous jobs. Also very happy with velux, I had an old one without flashings in a shed roof for years and it still worked ! That’s why I went the velux route as they are very resilient even if treated badly. Imperative to make sure the windows line up with the frames before fixing everything in....... seen an instal where this was not done and the window now jams and it’s far lo Kate to fix it ! Better learning from others mistakes where possible. Good luck with the rest of your build. 

• Thanks 1

@bissoejosh yes it’s the plastisol and it was  anthracite if I remember correctly. I have used juniper green before on a roof  I wanted to draw less attention to and was happy with it, however this time I wanted to make a subtle statement and designed both the roof finish and the exterior cladding to be a little bit more sophisticated  but still being respectful of the setting and the original look of the building. The only window on the front wall  is a big velux I got out of a skip (another thread) and the 4  on the roof  cost about £1000 all in, expensive and a luxury item but they are the same dimensions to another 3 in the roof of my cottage that is right next door, this helps to bring it all together. 

Excellent result both of you. Really neat flashings and tidy finish on both.

We're still 50/50 on whether to go with corrugated or standing seam... Delays on our foundation have meant a lot of back and forth with the architect and too much thinking time and it has just made the decision harder!

@Cpd, @JamesP, would it be possible to visit your sites to get a closer look at the finished article and to learn from some hard earnt experience?

@Visti more than welcome but I live on the west coast of Scotland and unless your up for a holiday then it’s a long way ! If your up on holiday then I would ask yo to PM me as I have various accommodation options as it’s an island ....... and to nice not to have a stopover. 

4 hours ago, Visti said:

We're still 50/50 on whether to go with corrugated or standing seam... Delays on our foundation have meant a lot of back and forth with the architect and too much thinking time and it has just made the decision harder!

Indeed. The standing seam looks very smart @JamesP - infact it made me revisit my Tata SS quote from Catnic earlier today as we're hoping to order our roof within a week or so! Same conclusion reached that it just won't work for our budget but a great product for sure. 

I'm excited by the potential for the corrugated with some careful detailing like we've discussed before on this thread. Hope your site kicks on soon @Visti

@Cpd thanks for that. We've had samples of the Plastisol and have been worried about how glossy they seem. I think it's a combination of a flat surface on the sample piece and the ability to move it around in the light which is exaggerating the issue. The more corrugated roofs I see installed the less 'shiny' they seem and we're v.close to confirming an order - either anthracite or blue slate I think.

4 hours ago, Visti said:

@Cpd, @JamesP, would it be possible to visit your sites to get a closer look at the finished article and to learn from some hard earnt experience?

You are welcome to visit. 

I am near Buckfastleigh, South Devon. 

Send me a PM when ready. 

@Cpd A is indeed quite a ways! It may have to convince the missus that there is the place to go this year for an autumn break! May even take you up on the accommodation too, as long as it isn't the caravan on the build site ;)

@JamesP PM on the way shortly!

@bissoejosh Thanks mate. Cost may drive us towards the corrugated with mica coating, but standing seam will be far easier to DIY with integrated solar, so still lots of uming and ahring to do...

5 minutes ago, Visti said:

May even take you up on the accommodation too, as long as it isn't the caravan on the build site ;)

Well that’s the end of your holiday with me then ...... it’s definatly a caravan masquerading as a wooden cabin..... 

F09EFA30-1CBE-448C-8106-9266F56DC2AB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

We've finally settled on our roof finish and have decided that a corrugated roof is right for us, it suits our agricultural location and we like the simplicity of the design.  I am now trying to refine the detailing however I am struggling to find slim, neat trims for the edges of the corrugated metal sheets. I'm trying to avoid large barge boards/trims (as shown in image with black roof) and instead would like slender profiles as used by Dualchas.  

I am thinking of using a dry verge product by Kytun, usually used for slate tiles, in black to match the corrugated roof -http://www.kytun.com/p/slate-dry-verge-t2-aluminium-pack-of-4/p-c02

Does this sound feasible or are there more suitable products available? Any help would be much appreciated!

5a07e0d70a585e4e3291b246f6ce63ef.thumb.jpg.75023f676f9f7288f0a2d3f977f79eb5.jpg

60f4e24d3b406c3da82bd58f8932b350.jpg

11 minutes ago, Nickjj83 said:

We've finally settled on our roof finish and have decided that a corrugated roof is right for us, it suits our agricultural location and we like the simplicity of the design.  I am now trying to refine the detailing however I am struggling to find slim, neat trims for the edges of the corrugated metal sheets. I'm trying to avoid large barge boards/trims (as shown in image with black roof) and instead would like slender profiles as used by Dualchas.  

I am thinking of using a dry verge product by Kytun, usually used for slate tiles, in black to match the corrugated roof -http://www.kytun.com/p/slate-dry-verge-t2-aluminium-pack-of-4/p-c02

Does this sound feasible or are there more suitable products available? Any help would be much appreciated!

5a07e0d70a585e4e3291b246f6ce63ef.thumb.jpg.75023f676f9f7288f0a2d3f977f79eb5.jpg

60f4e24d3b406c3da82bd58f8932b350.jpg

The houses on the last two weeks grand designs used something similar and both looked really well.