Anti-Graffiti Paint Recommendation Required

Ferdinand

I have a wall facing a public right of way that needs protecting from the graffiti which appears very occasionally. Here is an old piccy from Google Streetview, though the wall is currently painted with white masonry paint.

white-wall.jpg.94fc456fadb97a949768e26f50d1278e.jpg

I need something that will let be:

1 - Go over masonry paint after anything loose has been removed via wire brush.

2 - Is coloured to cover a bit of graffiti that has recently appeared. I think I am looking for white, brick red, or brown.

3 - Allows future graffiti to be washed off with a bucket and cloth or power washer. I  may therefore need a 2 part system.

4 - Does not come off on people's clothes.

The area I have to cover is about 50sqm. 

Any thoughts will be most welcome.

Ferdinand

There are a myriad of products on the market non are perfect and all will wear over time.

Sikagard®-850 AG is a good product its clear and it put over the top of an existing substrate (so prep the wall to the colour you want first).

The only downside is its got a sort of "wet" look (as many of them do).

Coo-Var GP101 isn't too bad either. Again clear.

Note that almost all the clear coating to appear to darken the substrate. Less of an issue on painted surfaces but certainly true of brick/stone/render etc.

none of it is cheap :(.

@Barney12

I wonder about the less expensive Everbuild product in their ASBO range eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-Anti-Graffiti-Coating-Protect-Concrete/dp/B01N902A0J/

I think that is a sacrificial one that you repaint with the same stuff after spraying off the graffiti.

My wall has only had 2 lots of graffiti that I can remember,and the current one has been there a year or so with no further additions, so I perhaps do not need a top top top product.

The other question is how breathable are these ... this is a house wall, though I will be improving ventilation there this summer anyway.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

• 2 months later...

Have now done this one.

I used the ASBO stuff, which is normally about £40 for 5l. Paid £30 for 2 tins that were being flogged on ebay are were a little dented.

I used the "semi-gloss" version.

5l of the product gave a coverage over Traditional (not the ultra-smooth one) Sandtex Masonry Paint of around 2 coats on 40-50 sqm, so I have a whole tin left for topups. The finish has a slightly rubbery feel to it, as if flies might bounce off, and the one I used had a sheen when viewed longitudinally. I would not use it for a wall, heavily exposed to scrotes, but for something that is not subjected to regular attack it would be fine imo.

The Sandtex paint is one of their 'offwhite' shades, perhaps Cornish Cream.

I would do a patch test or sample test first, and I would want to paint it over the new finish as quickly as possible.

The pic below shows the close-up sheen. It is reflecting sky and a brick wall about 4m away.

Ferdinand

20180620-asbo-anti-graffiti-semi-gloss-finish.thumb.jpg.c4ebf7d3a449528d36690be5db07906d.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand