Serious fence or a token boundary.

My rural plot is in the middle of a quiet village with highly involved neighbours on two sides, just 50 meters away as the hedge sparrow flies. There are three independent building plots enclosed by an established hedge that is painful to break through. The plots have a communal access road with a simple barrier.

My options for fencing are none, token or serious.

1. None. Trust my fellow self builders not sue me if they nosy around my build and fall down my trenches. Rely on the hedge boundary to clearly denote where the public should not go.
  2. Token Boundary comprised of 1m high plastic chain link style fence. As a minimum I would protect the unfilled trenches and then later in the build wrap this around a mini materials compound so anyone intending theft has to make a clear attempt to transgress the token boundary.
  3. Serious Boundary. Erect a bolted together 1.8 high fence either around the whole build area or only the material compound. I remain dubious about the added value of this to prevent determined theft and from a legal liability perspective is it better than a lower plastic fence?

39 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

My options for fencing are....

....dictated by access and H&S stipulation are they not? Heras fencing is the norm, and a hedge only really defines the boundary rather than provide protection, ( the main consideration ), with security really a side effect of having to fit it for protection. 

H&S don't care if you get burgled ;)

• Like 1

Heras fencing...H&S.....as Nick says. You cannot leave trenches open and not fenced properly aside from H&S considerations your insurance would surely require you to have the relevant safety fencing in place. No fence and someone falls in a trench..burglar or otherwise....your insurance wont pay out when they sue you.  I think you not only need proper fencing but you need H&S signage...i.e. hard hat area, danger, no admittance etc.  You can buy one big sign covers it all. Cheap on internet for signs.

50 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

....dictated by access and H&S stipulation are they not? Heras fencing is the norm, and a hedge only really defines the boundary rather than provide protection, ( the main consideration ), with security really a side effect of having to fit it for protection. 

H&S don't care if you get burgled ;)

I need to read up on H&S because I am not sure who such fencing is protecting from what. I still have the scars from trying to fix a setting out pin under the prickle hedge, so the only way into the communal site is via the site lane access point. If the self builders club together for an H&S sign at the entrance that is covered. I could put up a 1m high plastic picket fence beyond the tumble range of the actual build so delivery drivers should not wander into danger. Actual trades need to get beyond Heras fencing to do their job.