Soil Pipe through the wall

dnoble

We're just finalising the insulated foundation for our MBC timber frame house.

because of an oversight about levels etc it looks like the ground floor level may be too low to get  enough drop to connect to the main drain in the road.

are there any reasons (other than aesthetic) eg from thermal envelope or building regs POV why we can take the pipe straight out through the wall at "toilet level" to gain an extra 300mm?

Any other smart solutions would be welcome (though I'm not keen on using pumps or putting in a treatment plant)

many thanks

Dan

Edited by dnoble

No reason why not but you will need to protect and insulate it. The BCO may have a problem with a soil pipe outside the building and where it eventually enters the ground. Can you not take it though the building and drop it down into the slab nearer the main sewer so as to keep the pipe inside and under the slab?

Thanks for the replies. 

Mike Sharp; there's nowhere in the slab nearer which would avoid the problem unfortunately.

by protect and insulate it, I suppose boxing it in and wrapping in something insulating would achieve this?

44 minutes ago, dnoble said:

Thanks for the replies. 

Mike Sharp; there's nowhere in the slab nearer which would avoid the problem unfortunately.

by protect and insulate it, I suppose boxing it in and wrapping in something insulating would achieve this?

No need to box and insulate imo. Ive been plumbing for a quarter century and have never seen it done once. Having long external runs is 100% permissible, and apart from aesthetics, is quite common practice. 

8 hours ago, dnoble said:

Thanks Nick.

bearing in mind it's a passive house and the pipe will form a thermal bridge I thought there might be some need to do this (I'll check with the frame builder)

As long as it isn't a chimney eg vented to atmosphere by exiting the roof from the inside of the dwelling, then I'd really not ? the bed over it TBH. Insulate the soil pipe with some self-adhesive armaflex and worry about world peace instead ;)

As long as you have a SVP to atmosphere elsewhere on the sewerage network that leg can terminate into an AAV ( air admittance valve ) so there will be no cold 'draw' so very little thermal impact.