A "what fitting" plumbing question

Plumbing my shower in the wet room at the moment.

This is the arm onto which the rainfall head will screw onto.

5ab012e995836_showerarm.thumb.jpg.57740dc06ed21348e5c29863f1c07592.jpg

It looks like you should bolt it through the wall panel (wet wall in this case) and then make the plumbing connection.  It is a parallel thread  and a 1/2" tap connector fits onto it perfectly.

5ab01368c316f_showerarmfitting.thumb.jpg.eebf4f95f18ec7202a557a5c73c35868.jpg

However, here is the problem. Where it is going, I do not have rear access to the wall (already boarded skimmed and painted)

So what I need is something I can screw (on a suitable cross member) inside the wall frame, connect my 15mm copper pipe to, fit the wall panel, then screw this arm into it.

As it's a parallel thread and any fitting I am aware of almost certainly won't have a sealing washer, then it will rely on ptfe tape or similar to seal things.

It's only the outlet from the thermal mixer to a rainfall shower head so pressure will be minimal ans none at all when it's off.

So what fitting?

Thats what I always use, and im pretty sure that ive never seen a tapered one. I often turn the shower arm thread all the way into this to start the first fix plumbing, and they spin in finger tight without any force, not how it would be with a tapered fitting ;) 

Use an end feed one instead of compression and your bombproof. 

• Like 1

I've just put 3 of these in - tap connections.  Generous ptfe and screw in hand tight.  I've tested mine to over 6bar.  No leaks at all.  They arent tapered.

I chose to go with rainfall head being fed from the ceiling (false one so plenty of room for pipe etc) rather than a wall mounted one - wasnt too sure about how strong they are.

Happy to post pics if anyone is interested.

1 minute ago, CC45 said:

The bloke in the video clip.  He cant adjust that backing board in or  out from the vertical - to adjust the fitting.

I just use nice big screws into a thick bit of timber. Between tightening the 3 screws a bit at a time, after they initially bite up tight, you can pull left / right and up. Easy to get it spot on with just a decent hand held screwdriver. 

Its the slots in the brackets - they need to be swopped so he can adjust the vertical rear timber ply so the fitting does stick out horizontally not sticking upwards or downwards.  He cant do that with how he's done that so he will need to be really accurate 1st time.

23 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I've just put 3 of these in - tap connections.  Generous ptfe and screw in hand tight.  I've tested mine to over 6bar.  No leaks at all.  They arent tapered.

I chose to go with rainfall head being fed from the ceiling (false one so plenty of room for pipe etc) rather than a wall mounted one - wasnt too sure about how strong they are.

Happy to post pics if anyone is interested.

Pics please as I plan ceiling mounted. Above the ceiling too if you've any shots. Cheers.

right......

Hopefully these are visible when I hit submit reply.

Ignore the various pipes coming off the fittings - its under test (6 bar and no leaks so far).

Counter battened ready for led spot lights (didn't want to mess around with the vapour barrier) - got plenty of ceiling height.

Any constructive comments gratefully received!

PS translation available for those of you who notice the Welsh scribbles.....

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG

Edited by CC45
update
  • Like 1