Yours truly is very annoyed.

MikeSharp01

I usually reply to BCO points with inline answers in red, and I see their numbered list as an easy way to clear all outstanding questions in one go. In other words, if they send this kind of list, it means they're doing me a big favour and making it easy to respond without having to re-issue all my drawings. I'd be interested in your thoughts on it. Indicative answers ;) :

1.    Please provide details of the fire resistance to external walls within 1.0m of the boundary. This should be in terms of its minutes of fire resistance from inside and outside.

30 mins inside (1 layer plasterboard). No resistance outside - that ship lap is gonna go up like a bonfire.

2.    Please provide design specification for the proposed MVHR ventilation system. We have a layout but need the design details.

See attached PDF for the spec of the Zehnder ComfoAir 160 (A+ class).

3.    Please confirm the provision of network access to the new dwellings.

Wi-fi booster from study in original dwelling.

4.    Please provide design details for the proposed staircase, and guarding to low level glazing.

Standard Keyclamp handrail at 900mm high, brushed red oxide finish (see updated section attached).

5.    As an extra item I picked up, please can you confirm that Bedroom 3 will have an escape window as it is an inner room.

Room will only house teddybears, nevertheless see updated roof plan showing velux.

• Haha 1

The thing that really bugs me is the massive inconsistencies across planning, conservation and building regulations inspection.  The systems are well and truly broken when, as discussed here frequently, some individuals are made to jump through a near-impossible series of hoops, whilst others seem to get what looks like a free pass through the system.

There needs to be a root and branch reform of all three areas, with standards that are regulated and maintained so that they are common across the whole of each country within the UK.  The fact that one town can approach approval of something in one way, and another a few miles down the road can approach approval in a totally different way, is just farcical, as well as being exceptionally frustrating.

In my case I found both the planning officer and the first and last building inspector brilliant, the first conservation officer was an ignorant PITA who didn't even know what common building materials were when standing in front of them, the Environment Agency were a total PITA over run-off from our site to the adjacent stream, but were more than happy for me to run sewage treatment plant effluent into it, and generally caused me a lot of pain and grief over levels for flood protection that were, and are, barking mad, when you look at the true risk (rather than that which a bunch of undergrads did as a project, which is what they used...........).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I second everything Jeremy said above, I have come across soooo many inconsistencies over the years. Don’t get me going about planners.,!! ( took two years to get planning and that was only successful when I appealed to the Secretary of State who said our local planners were not abiding by their own policies!!!). On this build the Building inspector's first words were “ I am not from the planning department” he has obviously had grief from people who thought he was from planning. Anyway I sussed him out on his first visit (whilst praying he was a reasonable chap) and he was ?, I mentioned “green building methods and materials” and he was up for it, even asking for a link to this forum as I told him about it and the wealth of knowledge it held. 

Who was it that was asked to show how far apart the staples were on the VCL.

I may have mentioned it before, but in my view, there really needs to be a 'one-stop shop' at the council where you can deal with all the people necessary.  Probably be worth the utility companies putting reps in as well.

I could easily be paid for by the larger building supply companies having 'sponsored walls', would show up TPs ridiculous pricing too.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

I am often surprised at what is requested from BC and warranty provider.  I have an instance of warranty provider doing a "structural appraisal" six months after the foundations and structure were complete, asking for calcs for piling, concrete cube tests etc.  Also have expected drains test from BC only to be told that en email from the plumber confirming that they tested and all was well would suffice!

I hoped to avoid this by using BC and warranty from same firm - (and even ended up paying for a more expensive warranty, imagining that this would be far simpler with the same firm doing both - Wrong!)  which failed dismally, and indeed only last week I got a new query about the drains being laid in a bed of gravel - and had we done it!  Now this is almost a year since their own BCO looked at them, bedded in gravel and told me fine, you can fill them in! The warranty inspectors supervisor has made it very clear he doesn't like SIPS, and the inspector himself didn't even know what they were!  As JSH says, there seems to be no consistency at all, and "rules" are inserted almost at random and against logic it seems from many of the examples we see on this forum.

As for planners, we locally see a big difference in their approach depending no the wealth of the individual. Example, one man wants to develop a derelict house - he is refused permission as it would mean building a new access track across a field.  Next, Lord X's close relative (yes really) applies for the very same house.... and is given permission! As a parish councillor I recently saw a case given permission before going to consultation (as it happens it was fine and we would have happily agreed it anyway). By sheer coincidence the owner is also a millionaire.  Now let me be clear, not for one second do I suggest anything untoward, that would be ridiculous frankly, but I do think there is an unconscious bias - which could be solved by sticking to the same rules for everyone - the same for BCOs and warranty inspections.