How much is a water connection?

Iv just been estimated nearly 7k because it looks like they have got to dig to the other side of the road :( 

the farm has got its connection right next to where they plan to dig. does anyone know a good way of "subletting" water? and also what sized pipe would I like to see on their side of the farm's meter to be able to cope with another house?

survey drawing.pdf

Is the farm supply for the house or the entire farm ..? Would guess it’s 32mm or similar. 

You could run 25mm to yours with no issues as long as there is decent static pressure. 

And you can buy cheap meters off eBay that are WRAS approved for less than £20... 

Sewage to a tank is it ..?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Is the farm supply for the house or the entire farm ..? Would guess it’s 32mm or similar. 

You could run 25mm to yours with no issues as long as there is decent static pressure. 

And you can buy cheap meters off eBay that are WRAS approved for less than £20... 

Sewage to a tank is it ..?

that is good news, 

yes on the tank, when the form got a new "biodisk" about 6 years ago, we made sure it was big enough to take another dwelling.

there is a 32mm pipe for the sprayer tank that runs along the side of my house, I know because i hit it :D, this is sounding very promising. 

You would need an easement from the farm to allow you to connect in case you ever sold the farm to someone else and you would then possibly need to put in a separate feed at that point.... but I would not worry about that at this point ..! 

Cut the 32mm, tee in a 25mm MDPE and then stick a non return valve and a meter on it ...

• Like 1

Tee off and run 32mm to an outhouse if possible. Cap it off and see how you cope with any pressure / flow fluctuations. If it's problematic then just connect an accumulator to the end of the 32mm. Fwiw I'd keep all of the buried stuff 32mm as you'll need all the flow you can get when both dwellings are consuming water at the same time. ;). Pennies difference. 

Think ar least slightly about potential complications that may happen later on a sublet supply.if eg you sell one house and not the other.

In your circs I would do it though. Effectively you are borrowing the splitting cost from yourself in x years time, as the purchaser in 20xx will deduct it from the price.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

There are plenty of arrangements like this around that pre-date the changes to the Water Act.  The two houses behind us share a single 25mm MDPE pipe that runs under a footpath to the water main.  The developer told the water company he was only building one house, so they allowed the connection, then he built the second house and just tee'd off the supply.

I only know about this because one option I asked Wessex Water about was for us to trench across a neighbours garden to pick up a supply, rather than dig up 140m of road.  They told me I couldn't legally do it, as the pipe feeding the neighbour was a communication pipe that now belonged to them, and the Water Act prohibited new connections to a communication pipe.  I subsequently learned that our neighbours had a problem, as when one ran a bath the other had no water.  It got worse when one of them asked for a water meter and that was fitted adjacent to the main, so one of them was paying for the water for both houses.  Not sure how they sorted that one out.

Currently, Wessex Water have made it very clear that a connection for a new dwelling must be made either to a water main, or be part of an approved communication pipe system in the event of it being a development of more than one dwelling.  Somewhere I have chapter and verse on all this, as I had lengthy discussions with Wessex Water, as the cost of the supply was going to be over £23k.

In your case I'd look to try and both connect to the existing farm pipework, and, if possible, put in provision for a connection to the main at some future date, on your side of things.  For example I know that the communication pipe that runs along the lane in front of our house was put there in 1934 and is in poor condition.  I know that it's scheduled for replacement, and also know that Wessex Water were hoping that they could make me pay for that, by me paying for a new pipe up the same lane.  I had a borehole drilled, but I have also run a duct down to the side of the lane that has a capped off length of 25mm MDPE in it, so when they do run the new pipe I can consider whether or not to ask for a mains connection.  The cost should be close to the basic connection fee, as the pipe I've run is only about 1.5m away from their existing communication pipe.

Can they mole under the road and you do the rest?

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/2914930-Cost-of-impact-moling-under-house-to-install-new-water-pipe

"..had it done for a new water supply pipe from the road under the driveway into the house, distance of about 10m, cost was £800."

See also..

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/supply-and-standards/getting-a-connection/#_How_much_should

Edited by Temp

from the sound of the quote they moled under the driveway, not under the road, I doubt I could get permission to mole under the road, I suppose I could ask them if they mole themselves but I could hazard a guess at what the answer would be. 

I need to go and check at the actual meter but after speaking to my dad tapping in doesnt seem like an option, there is a 32mm pipe going past my house but that is oversized to reduce drag for the sprayer tank, he did explain but it sounded very complicated, the actual feed that comes across the road for the farm is only 3/4 he suspects (will check after this coffee)

Looks like I may have to pay them........

How far apart from the road crossing?

Ours was only a couple of metres in the field the other side of the road and it cost £1726 including the road crossing under a 3 metre wide single track road (same road ceossing used for telephone and electricity)

On 17/03/2018 at 08:19, JSHarris said:

I subsequently learned that our neighbours had a problem, as when one ran a bath the other had no water.  It got worse when one of them asked for a water meter and that was fitted adjacent to the main, so one of them was paying for the water for both houses.  Not sure how they sorted that one out.

Why not rent them a water connection from your borehole ;) 

Ch-Chinnnnnnnnng £££

41 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why not rent them a water connection from your borehole ;) 

Ch-Chinnnnnnnnng £££

Mainly because I'd need to then register the borehole as a supply to more than one dwelling and certify the water as being potable, plus have to pay for regular testing on it.  Overall it would probably cost more than it's worth.  I did run a garden tap point to my neighbours vegetable patch, so she can water that without having to run a long hose from her supply, something that used to drop the water pressure for both houses when she used it.  To stay legal the tap is just (by 50mm) on our side of the boundary, and she has her hose hooked up to it all the time, so only needs to reach over the hedge and turn the tap on and off.

On 17/03/2018 at 12:43, ProDave said:

How far apart from the road crossing?

Ours was only a couple of metres in the field the other side of the road and it cost £1726 including the road crossing under a 3 metre wide single track road (same road ceossing used for telephone and electricity)

only a couple of meters onto the verge at best, we own that side of the road as well.

5aae8421c39c8_ScreenShot2018-03-18at15_20_58.png.164ee59249a1cc9f907eb919d14c7268.png 

3 day road closure :( 

Does the water company have to manage the 3 day road closure?  I managed our partial road closures and we dug right across two roads and laid ducts, pipes and cables in less than one day, in two trenches.  I agreed with the council highways people to maintain one lane for traffic using steel plates and they agreed I didn't need a closure order, just traffic management.  We did the latter with one lad holding a stop/go board.

The utility company involved (the DNO) weren't even on site, they turned up a day or so later to pull their cables through.  The only official presence on site was the highways guy who turned up late afternoon to sign off on the road surface having been restored to their standards.

Is this a busy road?

Why will it take 3 days?

Can they not mole under the road?

for just over £3K I am pretty sure I could buy (or make) a set of traffic lights.

Who gave this quote?

When I was looking at getting the road crossing made for all 3 services, I contacted a local contractor with a minor street works permit as well as the Hydro and Scottish Water.  The independent contractor was the most expensive as although he has the street works permit he still would have to apply for and pay for a road opening permit (even if molling under the road)  In contrast the utilities hold a permanent road opening permit.

Even if it is a busy dual track road, all it needs is to do one half of the road at a time with traffic lights. It should be comfortably done in a day.  I suspect the 3 day thing is they cannot guarantee which day, so they will book and (you will) pay for 3 days. THIS is the bit I would be contesting with them.

We had a bit of a similar farce. Open Reach would not open and work in a junction pit right by the main road, so we had a long delay while they booked and waited for traffic management.  The traffic lights arrived at 10AM and set up.  OR did not arrive until after mid day.  The traffic lights left at 3PM and OR continued to work in the pit without traffic management.  (the pit was in the grass verge not in the road)

Ours is only a quiet single track road so no traffic management, they just pushed a big steel plate over the trench with the digger when someone wanted to go by.

ask them if you can provide your own traffic management.  Here you go, a set of lights for £211 for a week https://www.speedyservices.com/22_0248-h-xlite-traffic-signals-2-phase-radiolink

You just need some cones and signs.  Over £3K for 3 days is taking the urine.,

• Like 1