4 hours ago, jack said:

It'd be funny if it weren't such poor behaviour.

Have you asked the VOA for confirmation that the council doesn't have the right to charge you CT now that you aren't on the register? If they agree, I'd be moving on to making a formal complaint with your council. Harassing you to pay charges they have no authority to levy is borderline fraud.

The VOA are trying to stay out of it

They politely told me that they were asked to reconsider 

They have and removed the plot immediately 

The Council has requested that they revisit 

The VOA seem reluctant 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nod said:

Spoke to the local Council this morning They are sending someone down at 230 pm tomorrow 

Not from the VOA

Before they get there, I think you need something to confirm whether the council has the power to add to the council tax register a property that the VOA took off the register only two weeks ago. The general consensus here seems to be that they can't, but it would be really useful for you to be able to point at the specific law that says so.

• Like 1

@nod, when you contacted the VOA before, did you contact the officer who took your house off the register, or the general enquiries line?

If you contacted the officer, it may be that they feel they can't advise because they're too close to the situation, or maybe it isn't really their area of expertise. In that case, it might be worth a call to the general enquiries line to explain your situation and get some advice. The number is 030000 501501. I think what you're really after is a summary of what power the council has to put you on the register when you've just had the VOA take you off.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jack said:

Before they get there, I think you need something to confirm whether the council has the power to add to the council tax register a property that the VOA took off the register only two weeks ago. The general consensus here seems to be that they can't, but it would be really useful for you to be able to point at the specific law that says so.

Same officer that did the valuation removed it from the list 

she told me that it looked finished from the outside But after looking at the photos I suplied said it obviously wasn’t and would remove it immediately 

The young lady I spoke to seems really hacked off that I contacted the VOA and said should have

Even though the letter from the VOA said don’t hestitateto contact us With a number and email included 

35 minutes ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

When the meeting takes place I would be inclined to record the conversion (if possible and legal) as, what they say in person may not be what you get in writing.

Not wanting to sound negative.

I would also take the opportunity to summarise your understanding of what they have said at the end of the meeting and ask them to confirm your understanding if you can. Someone there to act as witness is also a good idea if you can arrange it, and I guess you have security cameras in the house that record sound and movement? ? 

Of course they may not tell you anything at all during the inspection. 

2 hours ago, nod said:

The young lady I spoke to seems really hacked off that I contacted the VOA and said should have

Even though the letter from the VOA said don’t hestitateto contact us With a number and email included 

Crazy stuff. Why would anyone in her position get emotional about something so run of the mill?

4 hours ago, nod said:

They are sending someone down at 230 pm tomorrow

Ask yourself why you would choose to give them access to your property, given you're in dispute with them. It's a simple matter to rescind the Council's implied right of access to your land, as @JSHarris would confirm.

And hide the kettle ..... you don’t want it looking lived in ..! :D

I would get a copy of  @JSHarris letter and edit it and print a copy of it and hand it to the person as they leave ... there is no right of access then without your agreement and they will know you mean business....

Oh, and don’t forget to enforce the legal boots/hard hat/PPE rules and follow it yourself too..! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This was the notice I put up removing the implied right to access to our site by the council:

Notice removal of implied rights - blanked.pdf

This is an excerpt from the VOA guidance that may be useful:

Excerpt from Valuation Office Agency guidance.pdf

And these are some examples of case law regarding when a building becomes a rateable hereditamant (which is has to be before it can go on the list):

Porter vs Trustees of Gladman Sipps.pdf

RGM vs Speight.pdf

• Like 5

On 12/03/2018 at 19:01, JSHarris said:

The law is the law, and I think I gave links to the case law defining a rateable hereditament in the other thread. 

Council tax cannot be charged unless a house is on the valuation register.

It can only be put on the valuation register by the VOA.

It can only be valued and placed on the register by the VOA if it meets the criteria laid down in the previously quoted case law, and the easy case to use is "Does the house have a potable water supply or not?"  If the answer to that is "no", then it is, by law, not a rateable hereditament and so cannot be valued for Council Tax purposes and placed on the register.

There are other criteria that are either defined in case law, or could be argued as placing the house outside the definition of a rateable hereditament; I only went as far as the water supply one as that was easy for me to control and prove if challenged.

FWIW, the moment I started to quote the relevant case law to the council tax woman I was passed to their legal department, and after that the council just backed off very quickly indeed.  They just sent me a very politely worded letter asking if I would please let them know when I considered the house was sufficiently complete to be valued for Council Tax.  I delayed this right up to the completion inspection, by delaying getting the official public health water test (we're on a borehole), even though I knew from a private test that the water was OK.  I only did this because the attitude of the council had got right up my nose, when they sent a snooper around..................

Jerremy could you please put the link back on again 

I can’t seem to find it in my search

22 hours ago, jack said:

@nod, when you contacted the VOA before, did you contact the officer who took your house off the register, or the general enquiries line?

If you contacted the officer, it may be that they feel they can't advise because they're too close to the situation, or maybe it isn't really their area of expertise. In that case, it might be worth a call to the general enquiries line to explain your situation and get some advice. The number is 030000 501501. I think what you're really after is a summary of what power the council has to put you on the register when you've just had the VOA take you off.

Good luck.

Thank you for the contact number 

I’ve just tried it and it is coming back as no number

could you check it pls

14 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The two cases plus the excerpt of the VOA guidance are in the post immediately before yours.

Thanks Jeremy 

ill let you know how I get on this afternoon 

• Like 1

Well the council inspector has been

Walked in and said 

You’ve no plaster on the walls

Said let us know when you are completely plastered out and we will re assess 

When we deem it fit 

We will give you three months at 100% discount while you finish off

and 50% there after

We were supposedly in arrears by 2800 

which would have nearly doubled byChristmas

We are both very relieved

Thank you all for you support after a really bad week

Gary 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, nod said:

Well the council inspector has been

Walked in and said 

You’ve no plaster on the walls

Said let us know when you are completely plastered out and we will re assess 

That’s excellent news, well done! Love it when people stand up against mindless bureaucracy and win! You can put the kettle back now ;)