A useful little checklist I cam across on my local COuncil website for people planning to object to a Planning Application, or trying to make a Planning Application bulletproof.

What Is A Planning Consideration?

Should you wish to comment on a current planning application, the following lists shows other considerations that will and will not normally be taken into account when considering a planning application

Material Planning Considerations - what is normally taken into account?                               

• Relevant policies                                                             
  • Overshadowing/Loss of light
  • Overlooking/Loss of privacy
  • Scale/Size
  • Design/Appearance/Materials/Layout
  • Dominance
  • Highway/Pedestrian safety issues
  • Traffic generation
  • Site history
  • Noise/Disturbance/Smells
  • Local character
  • Conservation (historic buildings)
  • Loss of important open spaces
  • Drainage issues
  • Wildlife (particularly protected species such as bats or newts)
  • Landscaping and trees
  • Loss of important physical features
  • Potential conditions 

Non-material Panning Considerations - What is not normally taken into account?

• Impact on property values
  • Private property issues such as boundary dispute, access rights, damage caused to your property by a third property
  • Matters covered by other legislation such as Licensing or Building Regulations
  • The perceived morals/future intentions of developers
  • Loss of a view
  • Competition (ie new competitor business starting up)

The above lists are by no means exhaustive but give an overview of the types of issues that would normally or not normally be considered.

Link: https://www.ashfield.gov.uk/residents/planning-and-building-control/planning/what-is-a-planning-consideration/

Yay Newts!

Ferdinand

Useful list there.

It's worth noting that the impact on a view from a public place is a material consideration that comes under impact on the landscape.

If you are fighting an application allow plenty of time to read the "relevant policies". They can be very difficult to get your brain around as they frequently refer to other policies that may have been scrapped, superseded or "saved" when the government set up or abolished regional assemblies or introduced the NPPF.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Design/Appearance/Materials/Layout

Did the government not change this as being too restrictive? I recall our council appeared fixated by a "look that fits" and had publised a document. They withdrew it just prior to my planning application, about 3 years ago.

• Like 1