Bugger - big chip in glass induction hob

Well, thankfully it was me that did this rather than my wife.

I stupidly grabbed a cast iron lid to temporarily cover some spaghetti in a colander sitting in a pan keeping warm. I even more stupidly tried to pick up the pan, and of course the cast iron lid fell off.

It landed on the edge of the induction hub, and smashed a small section about an inch long a bit less deep.

5aaadb2db26eb_Chip2.thumb.jpg.096152cf14d4005fd86bd981d7c232b0.jpg

The affected portion is smashed, so I can't just stick it back in.

Thoughts/suggestions for repair? Is this something the Magic Man people can repair?

• Sad 1

Guest Alphonsox

I had the same problem with a Siemens glass cermaic hob (dropped a full jar of honey on it from a height). It turns out that the glass top plates can be replaced as a single item. Cost me around £100 IIRC. A few hours with a screwdriver and a large dose of blind optimisim and it was as good as new.

- contact the manufaturer and see what parts are available, you're not the first to have done this.

1 hour ago, Alphonsox said:

I had the same problem with a Siemens glass cermaic hob (dropped a full jar of honey on it from a height). It turns out that the glass top plates can be replaced as a single item.

I wondered whether that might be possible, but didn't hold out any hope. I'll look into it tomorrow. Thanks!

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Thankfully SWMBO did ours the other day. I would now have been dead had it been the other way round. Dead. Has been. Ex-alive.

When my wife saw how annoyed I was with myself for doing it, she didn't add anything. 

I get most of my sledging when I haven't actually done anything wrong!

• Like 1

Oh, and two weeks ago, my wife tapped the front on our warming drawer with a ceramic serving dish and it smashed into a gazillion pieces. I didn't get upset then, so perhaps she thought it reasonable not to lose her rag with me now!

9 hours ago, jack said:

Oh, and two weeks ago, my wife tapped the front on our warming drawer with a ceramic serving dish and it smashed into a gazillion pieces. I didn't get upset then, so perhaps she thought it reasonable not to lose her rag with me now!

Oh don't worry it's been banked and no doubt you will pay for it at some stage in the future.

I never recommend using glass hobs  without trims around them. Seen this far too often.

Please be careful when you use the hob and avoid taking the ring closest to this chip to very high temperature for long durations as the stresses in the ceramic might cause it to crack.

You may get a good few months or more out of it if you are careful but in generally its a new glass top. If its Miele its going to hurt. What is the model number?

9 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

I never recommend using glass hobs  without trims around them. Seen this far too often.

Please be careful when you use the hob and avoid taking the ring closest to this chip to very high temperature for long durations as the stresses in the ceramic might cause it to crack.

You may get a good few months or more out of it if you are careful but in generally its a new glass top. If its Miele its going to hurt. What is the model number?

Thanks for the advice, I'll be careful.

It's a Siemens - I don't have the serial number, but will look it up when I get a moment this weekend.

Thanks again

13 hours ago, Triple07 said:

Hiya, just wondering how u got on with this as guess what I just done tonight ?

021FC744-CEFA-4477-A4E2-472FAEA97D70.jpeg

Oh dear, you have my condolences.

I've been flat out with other things and haven't had time to look into this yet - hoping to get around to it this week. Will update the thread when I get some advices/prices.

3 minutes ago, Triple07 said:

Thanks @jack , our house insurance has a £200 voluntary excess and a £100 compulsory... I’m fearing £300 may be our cheapest option! 

Its not even on our build, it’s on the house we are trying to sell! 

I would just leave it then and let who ever buys your house worry about it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone. I have the exact same problem - a chip about 1.5 cm across on the edge of the cook top. (these induction hob are F**King rubbish of you ask me).
ANYWAYS - what did people find to be the best solution?
I am in a rental so it's terribly bothersome that I'll have to pay for this if I can't fix it so the landlord can't see it during his inspection. 
I don't mind wet-sanding and filling to make it look seamless but I just need the right products to do so! I am in Denmark and to be honest it's not easy to find the right stuff.

I found these on amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Ceramic-Induction-Epoxy-Repair/dp/B07KNBLRJ7/ref=pd_sbs_60_2/257-8234428-8885652?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07KNBLRJ7&pd_rd_r=388a4051-eff8-4f81-809f-4dd35dc1356f&pd_rd_w=rsh5F&pd_rd_wg=pLp0m&pf_rd_p=cc188cba-1892-42b3-956f-6c67d0ab7a00&pf_rd_r=V7GVMXBSP7KH36E5HPHF&psc=1&refRID=V7GVMXBSP7KH36E5HPHF

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Resistant-Scratches-Furniture-Refrigerator-Appliances/dp/B01N9TSYON/ref=pd_sbs_60_t_1/257-8234428-8885652?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N9TSYON&pd_rd_r=12d253d4-d68b-4f9f-bac3-6bd6700f9f79&pd_rd_w=MiuaB&pd_rd_wg=uou0V&pf_rd_p=e44592b5-e56d-44c2-a4f9-dbdc09b29395&pf_rd_r=DN8NB6SXNWX8EC2RC25H&psc=1&refRID=DN8NB6SXNWX8EC2RC25H

Thanks everyone!

On 22/03/2018 at 20:56, jack said:

Thanks for the advice, I'll be careful.

It's a Siemens - I don't have the serial number, but will look it up when I get a moment this weekend.

Thanks again

Is there a gap between the underside of the glass edge and the worktop surface? Seems to be the way a lot are installed. Glass is crap under compression so a prime failure point. I put a good thick bead of sealant around. The edge of our hob. So far, so good...