Hi from the north

jamieled

Hi everyone.  Shortly to start a blog with some more info.

We have some woodland up near Cannich (not far from Inverness) which luckily already has full planning for a house.  We're shortly to resubmit, as the existing planning is for something much larger and expensive than we need.  This will be our first full build, although we've helped on bits and bobs of building in the past.

I'm a hydrologist by trade, so questions on water supplies, hydro and flood risk are welcome!

cheers

• Like 2

Thank you both.  I was planning on starting one here, although a pointer as to how I do that would be handy!

Picture below gives a wee idea of the site.  It will be a fairly small timber frame project, probably stick built on site although we're still pondering things like that.  Plans to follow shortly.

P1040323.JPG

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jamieled said:

[...]

I'm a hydrologist by trade, so questions on water supplies, hydro and flood risk are welcome!

[...]

Welcome indeed.

You'll be aware that getting rid of water is the key to any build: all sorts of water: from interstitial condensation to foul waste. We'll follow your story with interest.

Ian

Hi @jamieled and welcome to the forum. @ProDave, one of our resident electricians is in your neck of the woods and may be able to point you in the right direction for suppliers etc. I'm a bit further north (Orkney) but will pass by at some point, so may well drop by for a visit as your build progresses.

thanks everyone.

@recoveringacademic thanks - most of my day work is design so I suspect it'll be an interesting learning curve once I have put my money where my mouth is!

@Stones you'd be welcome, although I reckon there'll just be a big pile of wood there for a few months until we can get going.

@ProDave yes, there's a few of them around, although it's nowhere near as bad (I think) as other places I've lived/worked further west.  We bought it more for the woodland than the house plot and as part of the bigger woodland plan most of the sitka will come out in various stages.