Do I need flexi tails for my ASHP

joe90

I am just getting round to installing my ASHP and involving my local plumber ( who will sign off the UVC). He has his own ASHP and when I mentioned flexi tails told me his was installed with solid pipework and he has no noise or other issues , what is the feeling on this subject?

I think it depends how the pipe run gets into the house.

In my case, the pipes will travel a metre or so along the wall, into the garage, up inside the garage into the plant room above.  I suspect that is a long enough pipe run with enough bends that I won't get any transmitted noise.

If on the other hand they came straight in to a habitable room I would use flexi's.

The vibration of any refrigeration unit causes slight issues with any pipe work unless it’s flexible. I don’t think I’ve seen a single MI that doesn’t say use flexis, even if it’s only an isolation from the unit to the fixed element of a few hundred mm. 

BES do large bore flexis up to 1500mm for less than £20 which makes install a doddle so I can’t see why you would use anything else ..?? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jack said:

I know @JSHarris had issues with noise transference when he used (from memory) short/tight flexis with his installation.

Yes, I did!

I stupidly ignored the manufacturers installation instructions, as it was neater to fit 300mm full bore flexis.  There was  massive amount of noise transmission into the house, so I swapped them out for two 900mm full bore flexis arranged in a U shaped loop, as per the manufacturers instructions, and this completely removed the transmitted noise.  I can't now tell when the ASHP is on unless I either go outside or look at the control panel.

• Like 1

I am struggling to find a supplier of the correct hoses for my Kingspan ASHP. the thread measures O/D 1 1/4 “ or 32mm. From my reading on tinternet this is a 1” BSP thread!. Also the original Kingspan manual shows their hoses as having a 90’ end ( like a washing machine hose). Also I would like them insulated if possible. Any heads up on suppliers would be welcome.

Ask Kingsspan?

Do you have all the other necessary install bits? If not this pricey option might not me such bad value-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KINGSPAN-AEROMAX-12KW-AIR-SOURCE-HEAT-PUMP-INSTALLATION-PACK-KHP0030-ONLINE-778/162942848059?hash=item25f0268c3b:g:3ZEAAOSw~e5ZPr8X

Bud I think someone opined that 22mm was plenty for loadsa kWs so maybe just reduce that 1 1/4" down to suit a more standard part.