What plant to hoick around concrete floor beams.

epsilonGreedy

The following link and also the House Builders Bible refer to crane hire when discussing foundation cost planning. £300 to £425 is the daily rate mentioned.

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/comparing-floor-structure-costs

Most of my floor beams will be between 3.6 and 4.1 meters long which equals a max weight of 103 kgs. What type of crane should I hire and will this include a driver?

Alternatively would 4 friends be a cost effective alternative?

Depending on what access is like you could either use a tracked digger or a telehandler. Have never seen a crane being used before for this job.

An 8t digger would have a long enough reach to be able to set them on top of the founds where from there you can walk them to where they need to go. 4 people will be plenty for this.

A telehandler will be able to reach much further but they can very quickly plough a wet site up.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brickie said:

Any telehandler’s on a site nearby,where you could offer the driver £100 for a couple of hours on a Saturday?

A local agricultural machinery guy has hinted at this possibility, he described it as a giant forklift because he is aware of my lack of building background.

The message I am getting is to adopt a hybrid workflow. Rather than expecting my team of 4 to walk these beams across the site, use machinery to swing the beams over the footings and position them in temporary groups on the footing blockwork. Then another day when my volunteer team of 4 is available, shuffle/walk the beams to their final position. Ropes and rolling hitches are my specialty so I can picture how the beams could be slung below a telehandler fork if the reach is problematic. 

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Depending on what access is like you could either use a tracked digger or a telehandler.

It will be June by the time is happens and access to half the site should have hard core down. The site is level. I will need to think about ground stability in the one meter up to the footings because even if the foundation trench is backfilled up to 3 bricks below DPC once the footings blockwork is complete, I do not want a monster telehandler compressing the ground as it reaches out and thus causing lateral stress on the footings block work.

We used a rotating Tele handler with a crane jib attached. Mainly because our site was so awkward - a 130t crane which was needed for the reach couldn't safely get up the road. They said they could get a 110t up the drive but not a chance I was letting them do that. Once we got it up the hill and into position, it was easy! It reached right down to the driveway and put in the steel and floor beams. Saved ploughtering up the ground. https://theoldwatertank.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/flooring-is-going-in.html?m=

17 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

It will be June by the time is happens and access to half the site should have hard core down. The site is level. I will need to think about ground stability in the one meter up to the footings because even if the foundation trench is backfilled up to 3 bricks below DPC once the footings blockwork is complete, I do not want a monster telehandler compressing the ground as it reaches out and thus causing lateral stress on the footings block work.

Driving straight in and out is fine with a telehandler it's turning in soft ground that chews it up. 

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

Two of us have just moved a piece of glass weighing 97kg upstairs so I would have thought 4 of you can move the beams quite easily.

This was my initial thought and yes 4 people lifting a 100kg beam and walking it 30m across a level site would be a doddle e.g. just a medium heavy suitcase each. The problem will be lifting it out over the footings which will involve each team member dismounting down into the void, then times that by 40? beams.

41 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

This was my initial thought and yes 4 people lifting a 100kg beam and walking it 30m across a level site would be a doddle e.g. just a medium heavy suitcase each. The problem will be lifting it out over the footings which will involve each team member dismounting down into the void, then times that by 40? beams.

Self building is all about adapting and overcoming these issues. 3 people  could easily lift the beam leaving one in the void to assist and then rotate so you all get a rest. Take a leaf out of @Nickfromwalesand @Onoffbook by laying one,have a beer and then lay a few more. You will need liquid anyway if it is going to be in June when you lay them.

Can the lorry that is delivering them get to at least 2 points on the build either front and back or both sides. If so a £20 note slipped in his hand will get you them set out onto your founds in a few piles. From then it's just carrying from the bundles across the level stones to where they are needed. 

A friend and I moved all our beams using 2 of what I would call 'sack barrows'. Start positioning the beams on the foundations nearest the point to where the beams have been delivered. You need some blocks to space the beams and infill as you go.This gives you a level and smooth floor for moving the beams and just work your way across the whole floor. Pretty straightforward and no heavy lifting gear needed.

16 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Can the lorry that is delivering them get to at least 2 points on the build either front and back or both sides. If so a £20 note slipped in his hand will get you them set out onto your founds in a few piles. From then it's just carrying from the bundles across the level stones to where they are needed. 

+1 - always worth asking. A well positioned load saves lots of time, whether blocks, sand, cement etc..

I've just had a cavity planter wall built at the front of the property and ordered a load of topsoil for it and the front garden. For £20 the grab driver carefully filled the whole 20 m length of it with his bucket and spread the rest in a few heaps around the front - saved a back breaking job for me or many hours work for the landscaper (on a day rate). 

We used to happily shift 6m long 178x102x19kgm I beams around roofs between two of us. 

Around 254x146x37 and we would just design around 3m lengths

Probably explains my disc problems now! :)

Why I only carry one 25kg test weight at a time now.

If 4 of you lifting it can pay to use 2 strops with one of you either side each end. 

Sometimes we would use a beam trolley:

http://www.bakerfabrication.co.uk/beam-dolly/4567731201

Edited by Onoff

59 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Sometimes we would use a beam trolley:

I saw one of these featured in a British YouTube video about building an extension. The one you linked to is a bit overspeced with a 400kg capacity, I will look for something cheaper and with a remote handle.

6 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I saw one of these featured in a British YouTube video about building an extension. The one you linked to is a bit overspeced with a 400kg capacity, I will look for something cheaper and with a remote handle.

Two wheel barrow wheels etc & diy one.

49 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

If you take the skip of a wheelbarrow you could set one across the frame and wheel it easy enough.

Brilliant, will try that tomorrow on some big 5.8m hall beams where my digger will struggle to reach. Thinking one end on a barrow frame and the other lifted by the digger :)

46 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Brilliant, will try that tomorrow on some big 5.8m hall beams where my digger will struggle to reach. Thinking one end on a barrow frame and the other lifted by the digger :)

I moved a 3.3m 9inch concrete head this way. It's tight going but it works. 

It also it very good method for moving 3*2 concrete slabs.

For the sake of ease, I like to get all the blockwork done then mobile crane and 3 workers - 1 to sling off the lorry, 2 to place.  If only 40 then easily done in a couple of hours.  Get the infill blocks bumped out with the crane too, plus and brick and blocks for the structure.  Work efficiently and get the crane to do all the heavy lifting.  Floor beams to ground floor is low risk.  F'd up backs for the sake of £300-£400 seems pointless.  I would not move the beams manually more than a couple of metres - pref just a shift up 200mm to the spacer block.  Employ the 2 labourers for the day and you should complete the floor.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

The following link and also the House Builders Bible refer to crane hire when discussing foundation cost planning. £300 to £425 is the daily rate mentioned.

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/comparing-floor-structure-costs

Most of my floor beams will be between 3.6 and 4.1 meters long which equals a max weight of 103 kgs. What type of crane should I hire and will this include a driver?

Alternatively would 4 friends be a cost effective alternative?

Nearly all the sites Use telehabdler 

or digger

The B&B company insisteted on a crane 

Dont forget you will need to get four plates there for the crane to be sited on

When I enquiries about a crane for roof trusses The cheapest I could find was £1200 plus

and ee have Ainscoughs the largest crane company 15 miles away

1 hour ago, nod said:

When I enquiries about a crane for roof trusses The cheapest I could find was £1200 plus

and ee have Ainscoughs the largest crane company 15 miles away

I just checked and I have been paying £590 for 50 tonne.  Maybe the quoted for a contract lift, not a CPA hire?