Software to Model fall of Sunlight / Shadow

I recall that there is a software package that someone used to model exposure to sunlight throughout the year, and I think fall of shadows.

1 - Can anyone give me a name of the software (or website?) and a link. 

2 - And can anyone recommend a consultant who might do such a model.

I need to make a submission to the Planning Inspectorate about a 30' x 30' blank gable about 6m from a kitchen window, and want to model the impact on sun and light as part of a representation on loss of amenity.

Cheers

Ferdinand

Guest Alphonsox

Import from Ebuild

Thought I would share this find, I can't be the only one trying work out these issues.....

I have been trying to decide where to place my Solar PV array. The available choices are either
( A) on the main roof of the house or
( B ) on the roof of the garage behind the house.

( A ) Is "aesthetically challenging" according to both my architect and my wife but is south facing with no overshadowing.
( B ) is visually more acceptable but could be overshadowed by the main house.

( B ) was the preferred option but I needed to asses the extent of the overshadowing during the year.

It turns out that SketchUp allows you to do this very easily.

First tell SketchUp where in the world your house is situated (Window - Model Info - GeoLocation) and enter latitude and longitude.
Secondly enable the shadow tools (Windows - Shadow). Use the sliders to vary the date and time of day

The attached file shows the shadowing at noon in January.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I recall that there is a software package that someone used to model exposure to sunlight throughout the year, and I think fall of shadows.

1 - Can anyone give me a name of the software (or website?) and a link. 

2 - And can anyone recommend a consultant who might do such a model.

I need to make a submission to the Planning Inspectorate about a 30' x 30' blank gable about 6m from a kitchen window, and want to model the impact on sun and light as part of a representation on loss of amenity.

Cheers

Ferdinand

There is a rule of thumb that says that you should be able to take a line from the centre of the window projecting up at 25 degrees from horizontal without it meeting the new building.

There are also standards for daylight and sunlight but you will probably be looking at a daylighting assessment which would normally be requested by the LPA of the applicant (at their expense) should they feel there is an issue.

The other issue may be loss of amenity of your garden should it be overshadowed significantly.

As others have said, sketchup may give a quick and rough result, but if the proposal fails the 25 deg rule, just flag this to the planners.

• Like 1