Heat and smoke detectors

nod

Good morning all

Is there smoke and heat detectors that look less unsightly than the useual I know they are there to do a job But we spend all this time ploting our downlighter and then we have smokes on the surface in random places

It's form over function for me I'm afraid. These things need to "stick out" and need vents to do their job. Aico every time. Kidde are much the same looks wise I suppose.

The Nest stuff is a bit different in terms of looks.

I've got Nest, looks pretty nice as far as detectors go, with it's little glowing ring that goes brighter as a night light when you walk under it. Dont think you'll find 'prettier', just you pay for it, but do get a bit of added extra functionality.

4 minutes ago, pudding said:

I've got Nest, looks pretty nice as far as detectors go

Got to agree with you there.............How long have you had them? Do they dis-colour, 'cause that's my biggest gripe with the others, or rather the ones I've got.

42 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Gira make better looking ones and also do a combined heat / smoke detector too but you will need to buy from Germany. They are EU approved so meet U.K. standards. 

http://www.eibmarkt.com/gb/products/GIRA-Multi-condition-fire-detector-233602-special-offer.html

Very nice and look to do most of the same things as the Aico in terms of network ability. Anyone know if Gira have something like the Aico Control Switch?https://www.aico.co.uk/product/ei1529rc-hard-wired-alarm-control-switch/

22 minutes ago, Dudda said:

Very nice and look to do most of the same things as the Aico in terms of network ability. Anyone know if Gira have something like the Aico Control Switch?

I am fitting (my electrician) Aico detectors and the control switch, all hardwired and interconnected (no wireless in the fire safety system).

The Gira ones appear to be just detectors, designed for battery operation that can be fitted to mains with an adaptor plate, but then the networking is by a separate 2-core networking cable (KNX), rather than the UK standard of 4 core fire rated cable.

https://www.gira.com/en/gebaeudetechnik/produkte/sicherheit/rauchmelder.html

You would be committing to that type of alame and not the UK standard, especially for replacements.

• Like 1

Just now, le-cerveau said:

I am fitting (my electrician) Aico detectors and the control switch, all hardwired and interconnected (no wireless in the fire safety system).

The Gira ones appear to be just detectors, designed for battery operation that can be fitted to mains with an adaptor plate, but then the networking is by a separate 2-core networking cable (KNX), rather than the UK standard of 4 core fire rated cable.

https://www.gira.com/en/gebaeudetechnik/produkte/sicherheit/rauchmelder.html

You would be committing to that type of alarm and not the UK standard, especially for replacements.

That's what I read but wasn't fully sure I understood what was happening. I've the 4 core fire rated cable fitted (plasterboard almost complete so to late to change). I'll stick with Aico and control switch like you so but that Gira looks a lot nicer. Thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, Plumbersmateuk said:

Got to agree with you there.............How long have you had them? Do they dis-colour, 'cause that's my biggest gripe with the others, or rather the ones I've got.

Theyve been up for 3 years now, no hint of changing colour as far as i can see. If they are, they are changing at the same rate as the ceiling paint!

I have Aico with the addition of a control switch that lets you test / silence / locate from one position.  Makes sense as we have 4 storey house with 11 sensors.  The Nest stuff would have bankrupted us, plus I am not convinced I want to "invest" in something the supplier can stop supporting and can switch off in 10 years when they think the detector "must" be changed.

Tend to find with these domestic systems that once you exceed a handful of units the incidence of problems, mis triggering, low batteries and similar tend to become really a nuisance. I wonder if a commercial system, with centralised battery and control might not be a better option.

1 hour ago, Dee J said:

Tend to find with these domestic systems that once you exceed a handful of units the incidence of problems, mis triggering, low batteries and similar tend to become really a nuisance. I wonder if a commercial system, with centralised battery and control might not be a better option.

Looked into that. On my project with 13 sensors it was pretty much at the same price as an entry level commercial system. It was the ease of use of the control switch and not having a complicated central panel that won it for me. Now in about 10 years when the heads need replacing I might go differently.